Swamps idm?

sqrlgtr

Reaction score
I know this has probally been beat to death but anyhow.looking for some good or bad feedback about this mod.just really wanting to hear from people who actually has experience with mod and their real world results.I have searched on here about it but most were older threads just curious if it was worth doing are not.keep in mind my sig when you respond (stock early 99 kinda)
Thanks
sqrlgtr

sqrlgtr

Reaction score
I've installed a Swamps IDM in my truck and a friends truck. Both trucks idled smoother, quieter, and had crisper throttle response.

Was theses trucks heavily modified are stockish?how bout seat of the pants,did it fill like it gave you any power increase?
sqrlgtr

Constructionworker

Reaction score
Was theses trucks heavily modified are stockish?how bout seat of the pants,did it fill like it gave you any power increase?
sqrlgtr

These were stock trucks with aftermarket air filter and 3" turbo back exhaust. No seat of the pants but definitely better throttle response.

V-Ref

Reaction score
Quicker starts, less haze, better idle, "crisper pedal". Alaska truck. 200% nozzles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Constructionworker

Reaction score
You can't go wrong with the swamps IDM. You'll have a happier engine for sure. It's not always about "seat of the pants". Not to mention you're not gonna feel 20ish HP over stock unless your current IDM is not operating as designed.

sqrlgtr

Reaction score
Constructionworker,I agree with you and I've always heard good things about swamps stuff.If I'm not mistaken they have one of the best warranties in the business for injectors and wouldn't hesitate to say they would take care of a feller on these idm's.I'll probally go with their idm.May be a little while before I can swing one.just snook a look in the ol,lady's purse and it was depressing lol.pretty sure my turbo is going south so better look into that first
sqrlgtr

BAMF0816

Reaction score
i agree with CW. throttle response was about the only difference. & 29palms!!! good on you CW, ive been there. My bro was stationed there with the 3rd CEB's. interesting place to say the least.

OP,
i went through Dennis @ Strickly Diesel rather than Swamps. Somehow there is a better price with Dennis.

Last edited:

dmd

Reaction score
I had min IDM fixed by them when it went out. Same results as others, really like
the way it runs now.

A few months ago I thought I had a problem with it and swapped it out with a stock
IDM. Definitely a difference. Turned out the problem was something else and the
Swamps IDM was fine.

cjfarm111

Reaction score
Good thread. I too have been curious of the benefits of this mod. Could be a little cheaper so as more people would do/try it

superpsd

Reaction score
Swamps has all the documentation on the R&D behind the IDM as seen below. Considering all the work that was likely involved for R&D I don't blame them for charging what they charge but the price has me hesitating to pick one up when my IDM is still firing.
https://swampsdiesel.com/IDM/HVHFidm.htm

sqrlgtr

Reaction score
Probably not much higher than a brand new stock one,but I'm like superpsd kinda hard to justify getting one when yours seems to be doing the job.imho it would probably be worth it and ifn i can swing it I'm going to get one sometime.how long is till next xmas?

jsnyder7.3

Reaction score
I have been running my Swamps IDM for over 4 years and love it. I got a quieter idle and much crisper throttle response. I originally installed it on a basically stock truck and have loved it through every upgrade since! Not to mention that Dave is great, his knowledge is hard to beat and he has always been available in helping me plan upgrades and in diagnosing problems even when they had nothing to do with his products.

Don't put off the upgrade too long depending on what the problem is when yours goes out it may not be repairable and/or may not be an acceptable core.

Reaction score
I did have a negative experience, but it was not actually the IDM. I put a Swamps IDM on a basically stock truck. The injectors were supposed to be rebuilt, but not any of the names you would recognize. It had a slightly rough idle with the stock IDM. Put in the Swamps IDM and the idle got much worse.

Talked it over with Swamps. The explained that if poppet valve and armature clearance isn't correct the HFHV Swamps IDM will make idle worse.

Put the Swmps IDM on the 96 and it had exactly the effect everyone has described. It may not make a huge difference on peak power but it does make a difference in the quality of power. Definitely worth it if your injectors are crisp.

golfer

Reaction score
I did have a negative experience, but it was not actually the IDM. I put a Swamps IDM on a basically stock truck. The injectors were supposed to be rebuilt, but not any of the names you would recognize. It had a slightly rough idle with the stock IDM. Put in the Swamps IDM and the idle got much worse.

Talked it over with Swamps. The explained that if poppet valve and armature clearance isn't correct the HFHV Swamps IDM will make idle worse.

Put the Swmps IDM on the 96 and it had exactly the effect everyone has described. It may not make a huge difference on peak power but it does make a difference in the quality of power. Definitely worth it if your injectors are crisp.

yep. which is why we put the Warranty Disclaimer right in the product description. Glad it worked well on the other truck.

https://swampsdiesel.com/files/IDM_disclaimer.pdf

Latest posts

Members online