Switchblade turbo

Extended Power

Reaction score
I don't think there is ANY room under a 6.0L's hood for something that big hangin off the turbo.

What ever happened to the ATS version?

webb06

Reaction score
I know the guy that helped develop these. Pretty neat design but never seen one in action. Also made locally to me

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance, but isn't this essentially the same idea as a standard VGT set up, just using a different mechanism to achieve the result? What benefit does this have over the traditional VGT?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sootboy

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
This should be posted in the 6.7 section. The turbo in the picture is exactly the same turbo I stuck on a 6.7 and mostly all the aftermarket kits use.

2000wa250

Reaction score
If I'm correct the vgt shrinks the outlet of the turbine housing vs this that in theory actually makes the housing smaller. Vgt would increase spool up through back pressure, where as this would increase it by accelerating the gasses across the turbine. In theory I would assume that the vgt could have more negative effects vs artificially shrinking the housing.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
I posted this here due to the wide ranging applications the turbo can support. I know plenty of people want a big single non-vgt on their 6.0L.

I don't disagree it's not likely to fit but anything can be done with enough cash.

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
I want to try one, seems like an awesome idea

Sent from my SCH-R530X using Tapatalk

jimblay

Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance, but isn't this essentially the same idea as a standard VGT set up, just using a different mechanism to achieve the result? What benefit does this have over the traditional VGT?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are two major differences between the Switchblade turbo and the current VGT's, one is that it has only one extra moving part in the turbine housing vs 30 to 40 in the VGT's, the second is that it is about 20% more efficient than the other VGT's due to the fact that there is practically nothing in the exhaust flow in the open housing phase whereas the others vanes, even in the open position, are permanently in the exhaust flow and the flow has to deflect off them to get to the turbine wheel. Oh and it is currently used in a range of turbo sizes from a TD05 for a Suburu to one for a Caterpillar 3406. The size used is determined by the engine size.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
There are two major differences between the Switchblade turbo and the current VGT's, one is that it has only one extra moving part in the turbine housing vs 30 to 40 in the VGT's, the second is that it is about 20% more efficient than the other VGT's due to the fact that there is practically nothing in the exhaust flow in the open housing phase whereas the others vanes, even in the open position, are permanently in the exhaust flow and the flow has to deflect off them to get to the turbine wheel. Oh and it is currently used in a range of turbo sizes from a TD05 for a Suburu to one for a Caterpillar 3406. The size used is determined by the engine size.

Although some of your statement does have merit... it is not all entirely true. There are only 11 moving parts in the turbine housing (9 vanes, 1 unison ring, and 1 actuator swing arm)... not 30-40 :fustrate:

Also I agree 100% with your statement about the vanes in a typical 6.0 vgt turbo will become a slight restriction. On the other hand that simple switch blade will not be as precise at adjusting the exhaust flow as our typical 6.0 vgt turbo. Everything is give and take in the turbo world... therefore it is kinda like a non-vgt turbo that is able to direct the flow a little bit like a vgt... kinda like a middle of the road.

jimblay

Reaction score
It is exactly as precise as the 6.0 as it is a stand alone system that controlls the vane based on turbo rpm, back pressure and boost. At take off it reduce's the a/r by approximately 2/3rds until the control parameters are met. It is bluetooth equipped and you can monitor the data in real time on an I-phone or I-pad. You can also connect it to your laptop to change programming, log date for review, etc.
I actually have one on an 02 Dodge 3500 and it makes a huge difference.

Latest posts

Members online