t4 questions

97crewcab

Reaction score
I have a few questions about the t4 kit and what would work best right now with the current mods I have done to my truck. I was thinking about just doing a d66 turbo and calling it good but from what I have read most of you guys have said to just do a t4 kit and it will open me up to more options. But please bare with me cause I am no expert about turbos and what will work best with my injectors I have now. I currently have stage 2's from beans and they are not that old. I want to run a bigger turbo but I don't want to have to buy injectors again right away. I guess I am asking is there a turbo that wont be way to big for the injectors I have but not be to small when I do bigger sticks? also I seen that the irate t4 kit says it works with a super duty innercooler. does that mean I can use the 6.o innercooler I have now or does it have to be from a 7.3? I have more questions but I am drawing a blank right now. But If anyone could help explain this to me better or point me in the right thread that is a t4 kit for dummys it would be great.

97f350stroker

Reaction score
A s366 would be nicely matched to those injectors but if you decide to step up to decent sized hybrid your going to push that turbo. However one of the benefits of going to a t4 set up is that if you decide to go bigger on your injectors it would be quite to easy to pull out the 366 sell it and buy another for whichever sticks you go with. Swapping turbos once you go to a t4 setup is WAY less of a hassle then you think, that plus the range of turbos you get to select from makes it very easy to play with different combos.

Your 6.0 ic will be fine but depending how you have it mounted you may have to massage some things. Keep in mind these are aftermarket kits and will not fit every truck PERFECTLY, Jake does a very good job making his kits fit nicely but some modifications will most likely need to be made to make it all fit perfectly the way you want it.

97crewcab

Reaction score
thanks for the help, and the s366 was the turbo that i was looking at. now with that kit I have seen alot of people say it comes with a 4 inch down pipe and have seen some say it is a 3.5 inch down pipe. I can't tell by looking at the kit. if It is a 4 inch, how much am I going to have to "modify" my firewall? also I already have the bellowed up pipes from Irate which I installed this fall. how much more difficult will it be installing these up pipes? Also doing this should I do valve springs and push rods? will the stock springs and rods hold together fine? what about head studs? sorry for all the questions but I do appreciate all the help.

97f350stroker

Reaction score
I cant remember the size of my downpipe but I don't think it's 4 inch in an obs kit. I had the motor out of my truck when I did mine so I pulled the blanket off the firewall and made enough room then. If you've already done up pipes once you'll be fine as thats the biggest pita of installation while the motor is still in the truck. As far as the studs, springs, and rods they are not necessarily needed if youre sticking with stage 2's. I didn't see you mention whether or not you have an e-fuel system set up or not so if you don't I'd say turn your attention to that before the studs. If you have the extra money though while everything is apart the studs and such are good insurance and less you have to do when you decide to upgrade to bigger injectors.

m j

Reaction score
3"dp in a OBS, on my s468 the outlet from the turbo has a huge sized Vband flange but is a 3" opening from the turbine
I daily drove my s468 with stock injectors while waiting for my stage 3.
seemed better then stock dead turbo :)
no reason to have to buy injectors 'right away'

Last edited:

97crewcab

Reaction score
So if I go any higher then these stage 2"s I should look into the springs rods and studs? i have a fuel system that is kind of lined up for it but not quit sure yet. but that is why I asked about the studs and such cause I am worried about this fuel system. the three inch pipe makes me happy. I really don't want to mess with the firewall. My next question is how long did this take you to install. I know 97f350stroker said you hade the motor out when you did yours. but maybe you have a rough idea? I just don't want to bring my cart home from work and not get it done by the weekend then my cart is stuck at home. also I thought I read some where about buying the kit from someone and they were giving free re-tunes? Or was I just hopping i read that? thanks fellas.

97f350stroker

Reaction score
I would say that once you go above a stage 2 injector it's wise to put in the studs springs and rods, although you'll hear the occasional guy tell you how they ran their hybrids for 20k miles no problem on stock bolts. For the cost I'd say say it's cheap insurance to make sure your heads stay on. As far as time it depends on how much experience you have with a 7.3, but even at that there's no reason you shouldn't be able to get it done in a solid weekend. Just do your research and make sure you have ALL your parts needed. And once again I'd say get your fuel system together, it will really help that set up run nicely.

97crewcab

Reaction score
thanks for all the help. I think it would go okay coming apart. I mean i just had everything apart in late september so it should come apart pretty easy. man I didn't want to hear about raping my firewall. I hope the s366 is different. does anyone know about the free tunes with purchase? I can't find where I read that or if I did or not. but I will keep you guys posted on this and keep asking questions when more pop up as I start ordering and pilling parts up.

Nodge

Reaction score
-DD2E-4E4B-A0A4-704282801C8A-4449-000007407E88FA01.jpg

Nodge

Reaction score
I didn't either. Got greedy with the porta power and it ripped.
I think I could get it in with just some fresh body mounts and enough time and persuasion.

m j

Reaction score
you have to work it slow. really goes slow at first until you get the seam to start moving, then it goes quick

97crewcab

Reaction score
well I must have been seeing things but I couldn't find anything where it said free tunes with purchase of t4 kit. So I have been looking at tunes and was wondering who to go with? who do you guys recommend to send my chip too?

ghohouston

Reaction score
I would say that once you go above a stage 2 injector it's wise to put in the studs springs and rods, although you'll hear the occasional guy tell you how they ran their hybrids for 20k miles no problem on stock bolts. For the cost I'd say say it's cheap insurance to make sure your heads stay on. As far as time it depends on how much experience you have with a 7.3, but even at that there's no reason you shouldn't be able to get it done in a solid weekend. Just do your research and make sure you have ALL your parts needed. And once again I'd say get your fuel system together, it will really help that set up run nicely.

I am that guy. 238/100's, 38r, gearhead tunes, daily drove over 60 miles a day for over a year. No studs, springs, or pushrods, stock e99 motor, so it had forged rods.

97crewcab

Reaction score
So I was looking around and have been leaning towards gearhead tunes. Have any of you guys ran these on an obs? what are your thoughts?

Latest posts

Members online