T4 turbos and 6 speeds

dbunyip

Reaction score
How much difference does a 6 speed vs auto make with turbo selection? I have the turbonetics T4 kit with the middle sized turbo they offered for it and just broke a blade off it (my fault). So do I get this one fixed as it has no miles on it and should just need a new wheel or go with my first choice (GTX4294R) or something else? Have 250/200 injectors and have no desire to go bigger. Its just a play truck, no towing. I need a combo that is street-able. Info on stick shift trucks is hard to find it seems at least for me

2000wa250

Reaction score
I have a similar set up, and used to have the same injectors. As far as turbo selection goes, the compressor side is based on injectors. Exhaust side is what controls spool up. The issue with manuals is it is harder to load the engine in the low RPM's when it comes to both tuning, as well as the actual mechanics.

Most people I know and have talked to with higher performance 6 speeds tend to go with the same turbos as the automatic guys, but go with a smaller exhaust housing to increase the rate of spool up because it will raise backpressure a bit and spool the turbo faster.

That being said, if you can afford it, go with the gtx. The ball bearing will spool a bit faster than a journal bearing (notice I said a bit, whether it is truly noticeable is debatable) and see how you like it. You can always buy a tighter exhaust housing for it later on if you dont like its manners or feel like it spools a bit slow. I know with my 468 and the 1.10 housing, might will spool around 1750-1900 depending on speed and gear, but it doesnt really take off until about 2100-2200. Once it builds a bit more boost though, hold the **** on. Probably going to buy a .91 housing for it soon and swap it out, just to see how it effects it, as well as hopefully increasing the responsiveness of the turbo so I can build boost back up faster after a shift.

mattman347

Reaction score
I have a customer that went from a 1.0 on his S468 6 speed to a .91 and it spools great now. The 1.0 was a little to loose with his 250/200's.

nwpastroker

Reaction score
How well you like it will also depend on how and where you drive it. I live where there are quite a few hills and valleys and alot of 45-55 mph speed limits. I know in od with 3.73 and 35s I have to downshift quite a bit more than I had to with a stock truck with tunes. I'm running the 468 with a 1.15 ex housing and as previously stated, it starts to build 17-1900 and then comes alive hard around 2050-2100 for me. If you're going to be traveling speeds through hills that run you under the 1800rpm range, maybe consider the .91 like Matt said

dbunyip

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Since I'm sure everyone is wondering, I ran the truck without the intake pipe installed but left the boot on the turbo and it sucked it into the turbo... I had to reroute the ccv nipple in the intake so I left it out but wanted to test my boost leak fix.

7.3 Cowboy

Reaction score
Be towable to? I don't want to hijack thread but I plan on that set up this fall or sometime

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.