Tea kettle whistle

weazel

Reaction score
New to 6.4's but my work truck is a 6.4 ******d and lightly tuned, the motor was changed (it's a long story the shop screwed us over, charged $22k took 5 months and the truck runs like chit) but..... 3 weeks after we got it back it ate the turbos, so bad that the oil was pouring out the tail pipe, well long story short I put new turbos in, in my yard, on the company dime, that's right they paid me over time, and I took it for a test drive it will whistle like a tea kettle when you let off the throttle under boost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weazel

Reaction score

That's what I thought too......

if turbos were just done, i would start off with up pipe gaskets along with mating surface of both turbos if they came separated.

We also thought we might have a leak at the up pipe gaskets, the turbos came together but I'm not sure how good the shop was they were clocked all wrong and what not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

estew6.4

Reaction score
Did you ever find out what was causing this I have the exact same problem. Loud whistle after letting off throttle during high boost... already have aftermarket up pipes (Flo-Pro) installed about a year ago... someone said the fuel cooler pump was the culprit but can't see that being the it when it only does it after high boost

MrMike2010

Reaction score
My 6.0 whistled just like this after I blew the headgaskets. Under high boost it would pressurize the degas and after I let off it would whistle when it released the pressure.

estew6.4

Reaction score
Oh boy! Hahaha I hope I didn't blow a headgasket... I'm studded but I have hit some 40+ psi on occasion... haven't noticed any signs of a blow gasket but looks like I'm gonna have to look a little harder just in case

sootie

Reaction score
cracked uppipes or loose uppipe connections, warped manifolds/broken studs, or blown headgaskets.

Constructionworker

Reaction score
My 6.4 would have a strange whistle sound and it ended up being that elbow that connects to the turbos. The dealer didn't put a bolt or two back in and under boost it would pull apart

sootie

Reaction score
My 6.4 would have a strange whistle sound and it ended up being that elbow that connects to the turbos. The dealer didn't put a bolt or two back in and under boost it would pull apart

truth-i forgot about that. also could be a split boot.

Latest posts

Members online