Teach me

rufus11381

Reaction score
I was sent here from the general discussion area, I need some knowledge, like a buyer's guide, I know my needs pretty much put me with a 7.3 power plant, now I need to know what the minor differences are between the obs body trucks and the new gen (99-03) is the market price between the two worth going for the new body style or are the obs trucks a better deal, looks isn't an issue here since I like the visuals of both, the issue lies in cost of ownership and drivability while towing a fifth wheel.

So are the new body trucks significantly quieter?

Are the obs trucks hamstrung by a lot of issues that need to be fixed to do major towing?

Thanks in advance for your knowledge

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

rufus11381

Reaction score
And how would you know if it had pmr rods, were those certain years or sn? Keep in mind I'm only looking at f350 full crew cab 4 door dually models

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Serial number of the engine.

Start of production thru 1425746 are Forged Rods. 1425747 thru 1440712 are Powdered Rods. 1446713 thru 1498318 are Forged Rods. 1498319 thru final production run are all powdered.

TyCorr

Reaction score
If you are just towing with it get the newest (03) you can find with the least amount of miles and have someone familiar with them look it over.

If you NEVER plan to add tons of power the powdered metal rods wouldnt scare me.

rufus11381

Reaction score
Thanks magnum, and tycorr, it is gonna be a pulling truck, oh and its gotta be a manual, and it's gonna definitely be my toy to a certain extent, (anything to give it more punch and help the pulling at the same time is definitely good)

rufus11381

Reaction score
If you are just towing with it get the newest (03) you can find with the least amount of miles and have someone familiar with them look it over.

If you NEVER plan to add tons of power the powdered metal rods wouldnt scare me.
Tons of power? Probably not, NEVER adding power......Lol that's just silly, gotta be able to put the Cummins and duramax in their place now and then

Arisley

Reaction score
Just buy a '99, you know you have forged rods than, unless somebody changed motors.

Superduty's have electronic fuel systems instead of a mechanical pump. Big plus.

Superduty's have an intercooler, big plus.

OBS have a better turbo, some say.

You can easily get a 4" downpipe in a Superduty.

IDM is easier to get to on a OBS.

Supercrew back doors open on a Superduty.

OBS have dual tanks, some say it's a plus, I think it's a minus. Both OBS tanks make about the same size as a dually tank, and there is no stupid valve to go bad.

Superduty has four whell disk brakes, big plus.

All of the minuses of an OBS can be addressed and fixed. Nothing but money. And a nice OBS is a VERY classy looking truck.

rufus11381

Reaction score
Pulling as sled or trailer pulling?
Trailer, eventually a large toy hauler fifth wheel, probably 40+ ft and who knows how heavy, could end up 20k or more....idk yet, we definitely like living small and a full fledged house is almost definitely not in the cards, we like being mobile and eventually that's going to include packing a pair of bikes in the toy hauler and running off to Daytona bike week or something of the like

rufus11381

Reaction score
Just buy a '99, you know you have forged rods than, unless somebody changed motors.

Superduty's have electronic fuel systems instead of a mechanical pump. Big plus.

Superduty's have an intercooler, big plus.

OBS have a better turbo, some say.

You can easily get a 4" downpipe in a Superduty.

IDM is easier to get to on a OBS.

Supercrew back doors open on a Superduty.

OBS have dual tanks, some say it's a plus, I think it's a minus. Both OBS tanks make about the same size as a dually tank, and there is no stupid valve to go bad.

Superduty has four whell disk brakes, big plus.

All of the minuses of an OBS can be addressed and fixed. Nothing but money. And a nice OBS is a VERY classy looking truck.

Dual tanks is pretty much a minus for me, never have dealt with a good dual tank system lol, but I agree that the obs bodies can look super classy. Also what is idm, I'm pretty dumb when it comes to all of the acronyms here

rufus11381

Reaction score
You need a Superduty, and I would for sure be looking at a F450. You will outgrow the 350 pretty quick.
Really? In what way? I've been mainly seeing that even our end goal is well within the capabilities of the 350, but I have seen some attractive rigs with dt466's and some 450's but the pickings are a little slim

Latest posts

Members online