Testing of MTW Stages 1&2, Hybrid and Stage 3 w/specs

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Ok, I ran the MTW Stage 2 turbo on my truck and loved it. The response was incredible and the power was amazing. I think the turbo/injector combo I'm gonna end up with is the MTW Stage 2 and some 155/50's with a regulated return and fuel lab pump with pre and post pump filters and my AIS water/meth system. I think this setup should allow me to tow whatever I want and still make for a fun street truck.

I have a Stage 1 coming to me right now to run while we wait for the machining to come back on the Hybrid. This means that within' the next month or so I will have run the Stage 1, 2 and the new Hybrid design on the same truck. I'm going to try and dyno each setup for comparison. I'm more curious to see how the new Hybrid design will work out. If you believe the math, it should be a hoss. It will run the same wheel as the 4088, but in a .58AR instead of the .72AR on the Stage 2.

The Stage 3 (as much as I would love to have one) is more turbo than I would ever need. The compressor wheel is 67.8mm/94mm in a .58 A/R housing. It is a VGT turbo, and is running kind of a gt40 wheel. Can't say much more than that, other than it's bigger than the gt37 turbine wheel. Nate said on the steet the turbo needs some tuning help, it flows so much air that at 45 mph boost is at 1-2 psi, but egts where at 900 with 190/100's on a defueled tune. The turbo hit 44-45psi of boost on the dyno. He has since then worked with Eric at IDP to improve street manners and told me shifting, VGT duty cycles and fuel needed adjusted. Stages 3 and up will be water cooled to help in the reliablity, of center housings and bearings. I do however wonder if this turbo could make towing with say 175/75's a possibility.

As soon as I get the Stage 1 on my truck, Chris at TSD has a tune for me to run as well as Vivian at Quick Tricks. I talked to Tony Wildman yesterday and he is gonna try his hand at writing some tunes for these turbo's as well. When I get my final setup, Bill at PHP is gonna live tune it. My goal here is to try as many MTW turbo's on my truck as I can and report as much data (EGT's, Boost, BP) as possible. This should give folks a decent idea of how these smaller MTW creations act with stock sticks or 155's. I'm sure if need be I can get Adrian to send me a couple different turbo's to run when I get 155's too. Just want to give you guys as much info as possible.

Fox hunt

Reaction score
I hope Chris comes up with a good tune for the stage 1. I ran the SPD with my pmax and loved it. Now that Madpowerstroke is modding my pmax for me into a stage 1, I will need a new tune for is as well.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
I hope Chris comes up with a good tune for the stage 1. I ran the SPD with my pmax and loved it. Now that Madpowerstroke is modding my pmax for me into a stage 1, I will need a new tune for is as well.

Chris sent me a PMax tune when I had the Stage 2 and I actually liked the standard SPD tune better. The PMax tune seemed to drop off on the top end. Before its over Chris will have some great tunes for these turbo's. Nate and Adrian are working with him now for some tuning and I'll be working with him on the Stage 1 and the Hybrid. Vivian also has tunes ready for me.

If my slow ass turbo builder would send me a snail, I could get Chris some useful info and get him moving in the right direction for tuning these things. You know how these guys are though, hard to find good help these days.LOL:poke::poke:LOL

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
what's the hybid that you speak of? Is it something totally different than the stage I, II or III turbo's?

The hybrid turbo is a 64.7mm/88mm .58 A/R housing. The reason I'm developing this turbo is just because it will be harder and harder to get the Duramax turbos I need for stage 1. According to the numbers, it should perform better than stage 1 and just less than stage 2. If this turbo comes within 5 rwhp of stage 2 than there is no reason to cont. with the stage 2. The price differance will be between the stage 1 and 2 as they are right now.

hawgdoctor

Reaction score
Chris sent me a PMax tune when I had the Stage 2 and I actually liked the standard SPD tune better. The PMax tune seemed to drop off on the top end. Before its over Chris will have some great tunes for these turbo's. Nate and Adrian are working with him now for some tuning and I'll be working with him on the Stage 1 and the Hybrid. Vivian also has tunes ready for me.

If my slow ass turbo builder would send me a snail, I could get Chris some useful info and get him moving in the right direction for tuning these things. You know how these guys are though, hard to find good help these days.LOL:poke::poke:LOL
Sounds like you're about ready for that package deal Matt. Have another one sitting here ready to go with your name on it. Just need to know what color ceramic you want....

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
The hybrid turbo is a 64.7mm/88mm .58 A/R housing. The reason I'm developing this turbo is just because it will be harder and harder to get the Duramax turbos I need for stage 1. According to the numbers, it should perform better than stage 1 and just less than stage 2. If this turbo comes within 5 rwhp of stage 2 than there is no reason to cont. with the stage 2. The price differance will be between the stage 1 and 2 as they are right now.
I guess when we get the Hybrid on my truck, we'll head back to PHP and hit the dyno. This should give us a very accurate idea of the difference in RWHP.

It gets harder everyday not to call JJ for a set of injectors.

Last edited:

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Sounds like you're about ready for that package deal Matt. Have another one sitting here ready to go with your name on it. Just need to know what color ceramic you want....

Adam, I was ready as soon as I saw that ceramic coated beauty at the Morgan Wildman event. I'll get with you soon, gotta get the new baby here before I spend a lot on the truck. Then I can start building it in stages.

OCOutdoors

Reaction score
I myself am interested in what the Stage 2 w/155cc injectors can do towing my 16k# 5th wheel behind my CCSB on 35" tires. Also being able to tow in the high country.
How are people reading back pressure? I was reading in the other thread that had been locked and noticed someone mention about balancing. I often wondered about that with people installing the batmowheel on a pmax. How is this done, or should I say does it need to be done? Is there any benefit to installing a batmowheel on the stage2? Has there been any known issues with these MTW turbos?

windrunner408

Reaction score
Adrian builts these turbos with tight tolerances so sometimes before any oil is in the turbo the compressor wheel will rub the housing slightly but for most people is fine once started. Nevertheless, some have claimed that the turbo still makes noise so Adrian is ALWAYS more than willing to take the turbo back to see what is wrong. He will pay for shipping both ways and if the customer really is dissatisfied will even refund them their money. He will do this for up to six months after you buy the turbo. Seems like a pretty good warranty to me. JMO though.

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
I myself am interested in what the Stage 2 w/155cc injectors can do towing my 16k# 5th wheel behind my CCSB on 35" tires. Also being able to tow in the high country.
How are people reading back pressure? I was reading in the other thread that had been locked and noticed someone mention about balancing. I often wondered about that with people installing the batmowheel on a pmax. How is this done, or should I say does it need to be done? Is there any benefit to installing a batmowheel on the stage2? Has there been any known issues with these MTW turbos?

I really don't want to get into what I do, the less some know the better for me. I do balance and there as been people that have had some problems, if compressor wheel is not balanced it will vibrate and cause damage or come apart. The stage 2 with 155cc, would have no problem towing 16k, it would be able to hit max tow all day long. I have had the stage 1 towing on a tow boss towing 24k everyday for a week on a ford factory tune and no head studs. The tester just switched to a f250 to hit max dot tow wieght, he owns a hauling company and using his work trucks for testers. So far so good for the testing of stage 1, and stage 2 is a stronger turbo. Hope that helps out.

legionxxii

Reaction score
Man I wish I could get my hands on one of these to do some testing before the track and dyno next month

OCOutdoors

Reaction score
Adrian builts these turbos with tight tolerances so sometimes before any oil is in the turbo the compressor wheel will rub the housing slightly but for most people is fine once started. Nevertheless, some have claimed that the turbo still makes noise so Adrian is ALWAYS more than willing to take the turbo back to see what is wrong. He will pay for shipping both ways and if the customer really is dissatisfied will even refund them their money. He will do this for up to six months after you buy the turbo. Seems like a pretty good warranty to me. JMO though.
That doesn't sound like a bad warranty and it is great that he is willing to stand by his product. How does that compare to a pmax warranty?

I really don't want to get into what I do, the less some know the better for me. I do balance and there as been people that have had some problems, if compressor wheel is not balanced it will vibrate and cause damage or come apart. The stage 2 with 155cc, would have no problem towing 16k, it would be able to hit max tow all day long. I have had the stage 1 towing on a tow boss towing 24k everyday for a week on a ford factory tune and no head studs. The tester just switched to a f250 to hit max dot tow wieght, he owns a hauling company and using his work trucks for testers. So far so good for the testing of stage 1, and stage 2 is a stronger turbo. Hope that helps out.
No need to get into details as to what you do, I wouldn't understand anyways. I can't wait till all the tuning is figured out on these things and hopefully all/any flaws taken care of. My problem is all the tuning is done on the east coast and I am on the west. Also I would like to here about these things pulling up big grades.:thumbup:

Arisley

Reaction score

So you are saying that in something as tight tolerance as a turbo, that metal to metal contact is OK. Makes me want to just jump right out there and buy one.

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
So you are saying that in something as tight tolerance as a turbo, that metal to metal contact is OK. Makes me want to just jump right out there and buy one.

I think what he meant is that without oil pressure to center bearing journals, you might have a brush of wheel on compressor housing. I have never had issues with the contact of wheels, except when the shipping company decides to do drop checks with the turbos, and the popular hackie sak fork lift game.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
If these turbo's were hitting housings, don't you think with as many that are out there as there are, someone would've posted up raising hell by now? The turbo's work as advertised without issue and if there are any issue's, Adrian is taking care of them in a timely manner while covering shipping as Nate said.

I can see were the comment Nate made could be misconstrued as, a little contact is normal, but that isn't the case.

Latest posts

Members online