Testing of MTW Stages 1&2, Hybrid and Stage 3 w/specs

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
fwiw...my 68 vgt will brush the housing with no oil pressure. i sent it off to RCD to get checked out and everything was perfectly in spec and Josh said that was normal for vgt journal bearing centers.

andy, I checked with Matt Chappell and he said the same thing.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Thank you Lance. I forgot you had the RCD 68, didn't you run a non-VGT at one point or was it a PMax? How much boost is the 68 building and how much does it hold at WOT? I know RCD has some happy 68mm customers. I just got an RCD full EGR delete. Now I need a intake manifold.

OCOutdoors

Reaction score
So when exactly does the wheel hit the housing, Idle/WOT? How long does it make contact and wouldn't this wear something out prematurely? Is my stock turbo needed to make the stage2?

FaSSt9602

Reaction score
Never will when the truck is running (if the turbo is good). Only when there is no oil pressure. My 62mm non VGT and modded VGT both did that. Kinda the nature of a journal bearing.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
So when exactly does the wheel hit the housing, Idle/WOT? How long does it make contact and wouldn't this wear something out prematurely? Is my stock turbo needed to make the stage2?
OK lets get some info straight, right away before this sh*t gets outta hand. The wheel will never HIT the housing, it will "brush" the housing when there is no oil pressure to center the bearings. If the wheel is making hard contact with the housing there is an issue and you should contact Adrian immediately. The Stage 3 was dropped by FedEx when it was shipped to JJ at Dozer's Diesel and the entire front cover was torqued into the wheel. It was hitting the housing. Any turbo with journal bearings will have the same "brushing" against the housing until oil pressure is applied and at that point there will be no more "brushing". As Lance (Strokeofluck) stated, even his RCD 68mm PMax "brushes" the housing when there is no oil pressure. He even sent his back to be spec'd by RCD and was assured it was fine.

Nate's (Windrunner408) post was simply misunderstood and Andy's (Airsley) post didn't help matters. Again, the turbo's don't hit the housing, they are all hand built by Adrian and carry a warranty. If there is an issue or you have any questions, all you have to do is ask him (Madpowerstroke), JJ (Dozers Diesel), me (Mwilbur516) or Nate (Windrunner408). Any of us would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have regarding the turbo's, tuning or whatever else.

Never will when the truck is running (if the turbo is good). Only when there is no oil pressure. My 62mm non VGT and modded VGT both did that. Kinda the nature of a journal bearing.
Thanks man, nice to see there are some guys out there that understand the ins and outs of these turbo's.

Last edited:

OCOutdoors

Reaction score
OK lets get some info straight, right away before this sh*t gets outta hand. The wheel will never HIT the housing, it will "brush" the housing when there is no oil pressure to center the bearings. If the wheel is making hard contact with the housing there is an issue and you should contact Adrian immediately. The Stage 3 was dropped by FedEx when it was shipped to JJ at Dozer's Diesel and the entire front cover was torqued into the wheel. It was hitting the housing. Any turbo with journal bearings will have the same "brushing" against the housing until oil pressure is applied and at that point there will be no more "brushing". As Lance (Strokeofluck) stated, even his RCD 68mm PMax "brushes" the housing when there is no oil pressure. He even sent his back to be spec'd by RCD and was assured it was fine.

Nate's (Windrunner408) post was simply misunderstood and Andy's (Airsley) post didn't help matters. Again, the turbo's don't hit the housing, they are all hand built by Adrian and carry a warranty. If there is an issue or you have any questions, all you have to do is ask him (Madpowerstroke), JJ (Dozers Diesel), me (Mwilbur516) or Nate (Windrunner408). Any of us would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have regarding the turbo's, tuning or whatever else.

Thanks man, nice to see there are some guys out there that understand the ins and outs of these turbo's.

I don't understand the ins and outs of any turbo, that is why I am on here asking questions. If I understand correctly he needs a stock turbo to modify into a stage2? I know that my stock (I assume housing) shows rust on it. Is that part reused and if so is it blasted to remove the rust to look like a new turbo? How close to finished is the tuning for the stage2? I am going to leave my stock injectors in for the time being then later go to 155cc. I want an all out tune and also a great tow tune.

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
I don't understand the ins and outs of any turbo, that is why I am on here asking questions. If I understand correctly he needs a stock turbo to modify into a stage2? I know that my stock (I assume housing) shows rust on it. Is that part reused and if so is it blasted to remove the rust to look like a new turbo? How close to finished is the tuning for the stage2? I am going to leave my stock injectors in for the time being then later go to 155cc. I want an all out tune and also a great tow tune.

You, asked nothing wrong, the commits were for the reply of the turbo hitting the housing makes me want to buy one of those. The matter of fact is that RCD uses tight tolerances and so do I. We both will let the whells brush the housing with no oil pressure. As soon as oil pressure hits bearings then there will be no rubbing at all. Any turbo builder or anyone with any knowlage of how turbos with journal bearing would know this.
Same as with the huff (bark)noise on a VGT turbo when you hit it and let off fast, the VGT turbo has a internal wast gate and is the nature of the beast to make that noise.
I do build the stage 2 using the powerstroke back assy. I do go through the turbo and tweek here and there, and than clean everything up, repalce anything worn and then send it out. Hope that answers your questions

Mwilbur516

Reaction score

OCOutdoors, the response I gave was not a slam at you at all. It was more to counteract Arsley's comment. I just didn't want to have to start explaining to everyone that the wheels don't hit the housing and that slight brushing with no oil pressure is normal. I know people would look at his comment and assume he knew what he was talking about since he is a moderator. We've had enough drama, whining and complaining without anyone thinking these turbo's grind the housing. Sorry if you thought that was directed at you particularly.

OCOutdoors

Reaction score
You, asked nothing wrong, the commits were for the reply of the turbo hitting the housing makes me want to buy one of those. The matter of fact is that RCD uses tight tolerances and so do I. We both will let the whells brush the housing with no oil pressure. As soon as oil pressure hits bearings then there will be no rubbing at all. Any turbo builder or anyone with any knowlage of how turbos with journal bearing would know this.
Same as with the huff (bark)noise on a VGT turbo when you hit it and let off fast, the VGT turbo has a internal wast gate and is the nature of the beast to make that noise.
I do build the stage 2 using the powerstroke back assy. I do go through the turbo and tweek here and there, and than clean everything up, repalce anything worn and then send it out. Hope that answers your questions

OCOutdoors, the response I gave was not a slam at you at all. It was more to counteract Arsley's comment. I just didn't want to have to start explaining to everyone that the wheels don't hit the housing and that slight brushing with no oil pressure is normal. I know people would look at his comment and assume he knew what he was talking about since he is a moderator. We've had enough drama, whining and complaining without anyone thinking these turbo's grind the housing. Sorry if you thought that was directed at you particularly.

No worries guys. Thanks for the explanation.

Latest posts

Members online