The Age old question...

Northwoods2002

Reaction score
I inherited an Edge Evo Tuner that is VIN-locked to a vehicle the PO no longer owns. I can pay $99 to have it unlocked and use it.

Or I could get a single-tune DP chip for a little more...

2002 F250 7.3 used mostly for DD and towing 2 jeeps for offroading...

mandkole

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with Evo tuning for a manual, but there is much better automatic shift tuning out there today (and safer on the trans). There are old TS chips being sold all the time so save a little more money and get some better files.

Northwoods2002

Reaction score
Never said I couldn't afford it, its the simple fact that I already have this physically in my possession. My question is do I put effort into running it or just get a chip.

Turbtators

Reaction score
If you can't afford a 300 dollar chip then how can you afford to put fuel in it?

I don't think its a question of what he can afford. Sounds like he just wants to know which one would be more beneficial in the long run.
I agree with mandkole just save up and get some tunes that are safe for your trans if its automatic.

DocBar

Reaction score
Never said I couldn't afford it, its the simple fact that I already have this physically in my possession. My question is do I put effort into running it or just get a chip.
The difference between a programmer and a TS switch are night and day. Pull over and wait for 5-10 minutes to swap tunes or twist a knob on the fly.

FWIW, I've had a couple of programmers and TS switches. I'm going to a Hydra w/live tunes from Gearhead and PHP.

Arisley

Reaction score
With everybody switching to Hydra chips. And you have a stock truck. I would just buy a used TS six position chip. Don't give much for it. Hell, I have one I would sell you for 150 bucks. Get in touch with Tony Wildman, have him burn tunes on your chip. You will probably never have the need for different tunes. If you ever do, if you own Tony's tunes, you get free reburns.

If you do decide to go with Jody's tunes, feel safe. People are freaking out over stuff that happened years ago.

DocBar

Reaction score
With everybody switching to Hydra chips. And you have a stock truck. I would just buy a used TS six position chip. Don't give much for it. Hell, I have one I would sell you for 150 bucks. Get in touch with Tony Wildman, have him burn tunes on your chip. You will probably never have the need for different tunes. If you ever do, if you own Tony's tunes, you get free reburns.

If you do decide to go with Jody's tunes, feel safe. People are freaking out over stuff that happened years ago.
If $$ isn't a problem, why go to an older format? Spend the $$ to get the latest and greatest, then contact Tony. If Tony doesn't do Hydra, how can you go wrong with the guys that do?

Last time I checked, The Wiz doesn't do Hydra.......
cat.gif

Northwoods2002

Reaction score
Just thought I'd update this...

I've had the Hydra for about a month now and love it! I stay mostly in Daily 80, I need to modify my AIS intake to allow more air flow for the higher tunes. Went on a week long trip and felt great to be able to set the chip to N.S. and pull the switch.

Latest posts

Members online