The Broke college kid project log

96stacked&smoken

Reaction score
Looks like a good project. I wouldnt recomend a ford dealership as the pay is crap as are how they treat the techs. I work at one now but not for long.lol

Renegade7.3

Reaction score
that may be your dealership. the one im looking to get into is a good one, its where i take my vehicles if its something i dont have the time or just would rather let them do it

Renegade7.3

Reaction score
at school do you have access to a flow bench for the injectors? Its pretty cool watching them run. For me, doing injectors is not a lot of fun, so I want to know how they run before I put them in...

well we did..... but one of the previous classes managed to break it...

I know the injectors run by they are a little sticky when cold. they only got 20,000 on them.

youngstroker

Reaction score
depends what dealer your at. i work at a hyundai dealer around chicago we get paid pretty good and i book on average 50-60 hours a week, and i'm not the one who gets fed. the guy who blows the service manage books at least 80 hours a week and in the summer he'll clear 100 hours.

96stacked&smoken

Reaction score
Yea but i bet you guys arent entry level techs. The techs that have been there for like 20 years do well but warranty work still gets them. Semis pay way better starting out, thats why even tho i dont want to thats what im moveing to. Just some personal experience, I felt the same way you did when i was in school.

youngstroker

Reaction score
we're union so we have several different levels, all levels include full insurance and a pension at no cost extra cost to us

lube tec start at $8 and pretty much stay there untill moved up

semi skilled starts at $11 and gets a raise every year i think its $.50

apprentice start at 60% journey men rate and gets a 5% increase every 6 months untill jman

journey men makes $30 an hour if you have been doing it for 1 year or 30 years

and my personal favorit our full time porters who are union make $18 an hour and have full insurance for no extra cost to them.

sorry to hijack now back on topic

Renegade7.3

Reaction score
Well after some testing I need 2 new batteries. I'm figuring since I'm doing injectors I'll replace the glow plugs and put a new relay on.

You can do anything you want, as long as you don't break rule #1

Renegade7.3

Reaction score
I also found I've got a bad o ring on the fuel line going to the drivers side head. I already ordered the o rings from dieselorings.

Renegade7.3

Reaction score
Gonna have to get a new positive cable. They old owner hacked this one up bad. Ordered it from ford $122 not a bad price really. Figuring they retail for $215

Might try today to see if I can fit 2 of our extra semi batteries in they are free and they are 1100 CCA

Renegade7.3

Reaction score
testing injectors

found 2 dead injectors

and some jackwagon put a mix of AB and AD codes in it...

2013-01-27_17-40-54_500.jpg

2013-01-27_17-40-49_619.jpg

I cant wait till the injectors and parts come in

Renegade7.3

Reaction score
Put one semi battery in it and paired with my one good battery this thing starts in a blink of an eye!

Tho the semi batteries are to tall for the stock location. I may have to do some fabbing to maybe permanently use the taller/skinnier batteries as they are hella good batteries.

Renegade7.3

Reaction score
I git my injectors used from a guy in Michigan. The o rings came from DCP

Latest posts

Members online