The Nightmare

Joseph_the_builder

Reaction score
Hi PSA members,
First and foremost, great forum with a lot of knowledgeable members. I have been reading on here for some time and learning slowly but surely. Well here is my story of the nightmare that I am stumped on honestly at this point.

Purchased this 2009 Ford Crew Cab F-450 cab & chassis with 92k miles (was owned by a construction company that went bankrupt in Texas) at a auction in SoCal. Paperwork said that Ford had a repair shop put a new short block in it and the short block had 188 miles since the short block when it arrived at the auction judging by the paperwork of all the work done to it. Went to pick the truck up from the auction after winning the bid. Let the truck idle for 20 minutes while I chatted up the auction manager, great no issues, so far. Went to take off and the truck starts pouring white smoke out of the factory exhaust. So I tell the guy, hey, it won't pass CA smog and I don't want the truck until they fix it. One week later, truck was smogged by them and they said they fixed it. Well, after about 800 miles, the truck did the same thing again and that is when I deleted/tuned the truck thinking maybe the DPF was clogged up.

Let's go to 1k more miles(1,800 miles total)of trouble free issues. Other than a light white haze here and there. Thought it was condensation or the EGR acting up maybe. Go to pass a car with the H&S out of the box street tune and the truck starts rattling/knocking with white smoke out the tail pipe. Drive it 1/2 mile to a gas station and all is normal until you get into the skinny pedal and RPM's climb above 2k. Then the rattle/knocking starts again and white smoke out the tail pipe. Drive her home 80 miles and decide to call around shops to see who wanted to tackle the job. Truck went to 2 shops and sat there for 6 weeks with no answer. So I said, the hell with them and took it upon myself to pull the cab off. Tear into the engine and what I find is no cracked piston, however, cylinder one piston was starting to melt slowly(picture attached). Probably because when they put the new short block in, they didn't change anything else out but what the short block contained. Cross hatches looked perfect(picture attached) and everything looked great. Machine shop could not give me an answer to what caused the smoke or rattle. So I said the hell with it, let's build it since it's apart.

I contacted Morgan at Midwest Diesel(great guy to deal with) and started ordering upgraded parts since the engine was fully disassembled. I ordered HD Pistons, stock injectors, engine rebuild gasket kit, 59/72 turbo kit, 6.0 manifolds, up pipes, ARP Head Studs, Airdog-II, Hamilton Valve Springs & Pushrods, Suncoast Converter, Upgraded Solenoids, EGR Delete, Clevite rod bearing set. Machine shop polished cam & crank. Ported the heads and intake plenum as well. Checked the block + head for any cracks or abnormal wear. Get the engine back together & into the cab/chassis of the truck finally. Fire her up and the entire truck is shaking violently. Immediately turn it off and check motor mounts, engine codes, leaks, etc. Nothing at all out of the blue until a Powerstroke mechanic tells me that he seen this before and he thinks it is from the crank adapter that isn't suppose to be removed from the crank but the machine shop did not know any better. So I take the transmission out, flywheel off, thin spacer out, then the 1" spacer/adapter, and sure enough. The adapter was off by 3 bolt holes. Put it back in on top of where the dowel hole/mark is for the crank. Fire her up, and she is smooth as can be.

But here is where I am getting mixed answers from. The videos I have attached, you can see the shake from before the adapter fix. But after the fix, I still have that same knocking noise when raising the RPM's. Someone said it could be the lifter broke since the engine builder did not replace them(I thought he did but did not do so since he said the new short block looked new and no wear signs on the cam when he polished it). Or could be the rocker arms, since they have 93,800 miles on them on a F-450 with 4.88 gears that probably was running mid to high RPM's through out it's life in Texas on the highways. Or the one three different people have told me, wrist pins. Said the vibration caused the engine to unbalance and probably damaged the wrist pins for the 5-6 minutes it's been started since put back together. I've attached photos, as well as videos of the knocking noise this nightmare is making. I'm honestly tired of it and ready to burn it to the ground, if it is the wrist pin and the motor has to come back out.

Hopefully someone here can help with this situation and maybe have some solution to what this knock could be because I'm stumped with this motor. It won't fire up until about 4 seconds of turning it over constantly. I could turn it off and go to fire it back up, 4 seconds of turning over later it fires up. I don't think the rattle is noticeable at idle but when you raise the RPM, you can hear it coming from the passenger side of the truck. It sounds like it's on the top end but I don't know. I ordered 2 new rocker arm assemblies from Sunrise Ford Parts and will replace the old ones. But maybe it's not worth it, if this knocking is more internal.

When it was out of balance:

http://youtu.be/lWjrYEXos2E

After the counterweight was put on the right way:

http://youtu.be/eNA3wjohu-s

Last edited:

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Hi PSA members,
First and foremost, great forum with a lot of knowledgeable members. I have been reading on here for some time and learning slowly but surely. Well here is my story of the nightmare that I am stumped on honestly at this point.

Purchased this 2009 Ford Crew Cab F-450 cab & chassis with 92k miles (was owned by a construction company that went bankrupt in Texas) at a auction in SoCal. Paperwork said that Ford had a repair shop put a new short block in it and the short block had 188 miles since the short block when it arrived at the auction judging by the paperwork of all the work done to it. Went to pick the truck up from the auction after winning the bid. Let the truck idle for 20 minutes while I chatted up the auction manager, great no issues, so far. Went to take off and the truck starts pouring white smoke out of the factory exhaust. So I tell the guy, hey, it won't pass CA smog and I don't want the truck until they fix it. One week later, truck was smogged by them and they said they fixed it. Well, after about 800 miles, the truck did the same thing again and that is when I deleted/tuned the truck thinking maybe the DPF was clogged up.

Let's go to 1k more miles(1,800 miles total)of trouble free issues. Other than a light white haze here and there. Thought it was condensation or the EGR acting up maybe. Go to pass a car with the H&S out of the box street tune and the truck starts rattling/knocking with white smoke out the tail pipe. Drive it 1/2 mile to a gas station and all is normal until you get into the skinny pedal and RPM's climb above 2k. Then the rattle/knocking starts again and white smoke out the tail pipe. Drive her home 80 miles and decide to call around shops to see who wanted to tackle the job. Truck went to 2 shops and sat there for 6 weeks with no answer. So I said, the hell with them and took it upon myself to pull the cab off. Tear into the engine and what I find is no cracked piston, however, cylinder one piston was starting to melt slowly(picture attached). Probably because when they put the new short block in, they didn't change anything else out but what the short block contained. Cross hatches looked perfect(picture attached) and everything looked great. Machine shop could not give me an answer to what caused the smoke or rattle. So I said the hell with it, let's build it since it's apart.

I contacted Morgan at Midwest Diesel(great guy to deal with) and started ordering upgraded parts since the engine was fully disassembled. I ordered HD Pistons, stock injectors, engine rebuild gasket kit, 59/72 turbo kit, 6.0 manifolds, up pipes, ARP Head Studs, Airdog-II, Hamilton Valve Springs & Pushrods, Suncoast Converter, Upgraded Solenoids, EGR Delete, Clevite rod bearing set. Machine shop polished cam & crank. Ported the heads and intake plenum as well. Checked the block + head for any cracks or abnormal wear. Get the engine back together & into the cab/chassis of the truck finally. Fire her up and the entire truck is shaking violently. Immediately turn it off and check motor mounts, engine codes, leaks, etc. Nothing at all out of the blue until a Powerstroke mechanic tells me that he seen this before and he thinks it is from the crank adapter that isn't suppose to be removed from the crank but the machine shop did not know any better. So I take the transmission out, flywheel off, thin spacer out, then the 1" spacer/adapter, and sure enough. The adapter was off by 3 bolt holes. Put it back in on top of where the dowel hole/mark is for the crank. Fire her up, and she is smooth as can be.

But here is where I am getting mixed answers from. The videos I have attached, you can see the shake from before the adapter fix. But after the fix, I still have that same knocking noise when raising the RPM's. Someone said it could be the lifter broke since the engine builder did not replace them(I thought he did but did not do so since he said the new short block looked new and no wear signs on the cam when he polished it). Or could be the rocker arms, since they have 93,800 miles on them on a F-450 with 4.88 gears that probably was running mid to high RPM's through out it's life in Texas on the highways. Or the one three different people have told me, wrist pins. Said the vibration caused the engine to unbalance and probably damaged the wrist pins for the 5-6 minutes it's been started since put back together. I've attached photos, as well as videos of the knocking noise this nightmare is making. I'm honestly tired of it and ready to burn it to the ground, if it is the wrist pin and the motor has to come back out.

Hopefully someone here can help with this situation and maybe have some solution to what this knock could be because I'm stumped with this motor. It won't fire up until about 4 seconds of turning it over constantly. I could turn it off and go to fire it back up, 4 seconds of turning over later it fires up. I don't think the rattle is noticeable at idle but when you raise the RPM, you can hear it coming from the passenger side of the truck. It sounds like it's on the top end but I don't know. I ordered 2 new rocker arm assemblies from Sunrise Ford Parts and will replace the old ones. But maybe it's not worth it, if this knocking is more internal.

When it was out of balance:

http://youtu.be/lWjrYEXos2E

After the counterweight was put on the right way:

http://youtu.be/eNA3wjohu-s

Rocker arms possibly? My F-350 DRW with 4.30 is getting loud on the passenger side also. Kinda sounds like that just not as loud and no knocking. I know i'm going to have to do rocker arms on the truck also. Truck has 86,000 miles and 4050 hours.

Last edited:

Joseph_the_builder

Reaction score
When I pulled cab off and heads. Here is what I found, which looked to be like the injector on cylinder one was starting to go.

9137611A-5BB4-4024-918A-43A2DB12B6B9_zpsldaxthk1.png

However, the cylinder walls looked great:

8AA524C8-5D97-4780-ABDC-FE3C664F344D_zpsp8f4k1cd.png

70950D9E-3A29-43B0-9AAB-17E145907CF1_zpsztyyrdn4.png

E63102A0-7313-4009-B210-C27A089AC02E_zpscgq8bqho.png

08AF9107-D0CF-4C84-ABA6-C6D746E0D21E_zpsmwrbajf8.png

The engine after the machine shop assembled it for the most part:

C7D58B9E-DAE4-4A0A-A80E-66382B20B590_zpsajpvcbr1.png

BEA908F1-2EFB-40B0-AB61-6157650EDE22_zpsxlximhir.jpg

Assembly of it:
38EF0CCF-AE4B-4FA4-BA8B-11B4C51D0472_zpswocc5vzv.png

952C142F-6925-431E-A272-4DFEB4FCC77E_zpsvxadpngc.png

33B5843A-E05F-4F65-8BDA-2B7CD1FD4841_zpsxmtitl4z.png

17B0D69C-9080-471A-BE8F-9396B46AD39F_zpsymtiyqpd.png

69BF5260-E1B6-4645-A137-45CCD0DBC9EC_zpsm5qik27y.jpg

5D3D767F-278E-4E06-9696-6DD1B22CED54_zps46jbtfxi.jpg

A86D20B3-67D0-4E9B-8771-569984DA1F2D_zpst165uw2j.png

Joseph_the_builder

Reaction score
Here are photos of the adapter behind the flywheel that connects to the crank. It was positioned wrong as you can tell by the photos. Dowel pin was at a 7 o'clock where the crank timing hole/line was at a 11:30. Put the dowel pin at the 11:30 angle and all is good on the adapter/counterweight part of the engine.

A281EFF0-21CC-4F55-9C3C-67DFAE5010B5_zpsiupq093x.jpg

E3EA1AA7-2F74-432D-8A9C-2F496CD41113_zpsdtsymins.png

And here I am now. Have the passenger side valve cover off. Going to turn it over after disconnecting the fuel lines and injector harness. See what I can see out of the ordinary.

0BBE1343-843A-4460-84C2-68E8CDE4C5BA_zpsqsthh0m1.png

Joseph_the_builder

Reaction score
57 views and nobody has any insight on this noise? Rocker arms, lifters, or wrist pin? I just hope it is not the lifters or wrist pin. Spending all that money to tear it apart again and redo it would just make me want to sell the truck honestly.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
did you measure the rods?

we've gotten to where we almost always put new rods in 6.4's when they injest any water or have any sort of fuel knock, etc.

had a couple tweaked rods bite us in the butt (machine shop supposedly verified the rods were true/spec)

Joseph_the_builder

Reaction score
did you measure the rods?

we've gotten to where we almost always put new rods in 6.4's when they injest any water or have any sort of fuel knock, etc.

had a couple tweaked rods bite us in the butt (machine shop supposedly verified the rods were true/spec)

The machine shop measured the rods. They said everything was in perfect shape since the engine had only 2k miles on it when it was torn apart again. Only thing that they did not replace was lifters, rocker arms, cam and the connecting rods. I am going to use the Snap on scanner to do a Power Balance. Hopefully that can give a better idea.

Joseph_the_builder

Reaction score
Here is a video of the passenger side with the valve cover open. The ticking/tapping/knocking is for sure coming from the passenger side. Sounds like the middle two cylinders. But it sounds like it's ticking on the top end of the motor and much quieter without the valve cover on(maybe the valve cover is causing it to echo?).

http://youtu.be/eo6RfhHXMRU

webb06

Reaction score
What a journey you've had man!

Sure sounds like the rocker arms to me. You can usually visually inspect them and see if the ball is completely flattened out. The starting issue is what gets me at this point. Definitely shouldn't take 3-4 seconds to start.

Joseph_the_builder

Reaction score
What a journey you've had man!

Sure sounds like the rocker arms to me. You can usually visually inspect them and see if the ball is completely flattened out. The starting issue is what gets me at this point. Definitely shouldn't take 3-4 seconds to start.

Got the hard start figured out. Starter was going out and getting weak. So replaced that & batteries. Just got done installing new rocker arm assemblies on both sides of the truck. And fired her up hoping for no more taping or anything. Well, here is how she sounds now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3DLdHIufpU&sns=em

So nothing has really changed and I'm guessing we are back to step one all over again. Which is to pull the engine back out. So more labor and time yet again.:shrug:

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
lifter would be my guess. I have a bad one in a truck I bought to flip and sounds similar, but my noise is worse at low rpm and cleans up with rpm increase. and runs great at higher rpm.

Joseph_the_builder

Reaction score
lifter would be my guess. I have a bad one in a truck I bought to flip and sounds similar, but my noise is worse at low rpm and cleans up with rpm increase. and runs great at higher rpm.

Should I just replace the lifters and seal it back up? Or what do you think? Cam looked perfect, crank looked great as well. Machine shop didn't change lifters however. Used the ones that came in the replace Ford engine with 2k miles. Sadly, it was making the same noise before tear down and why I tore it apart.

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
I too am going to guess that it is a lifter making the noise. I would also check all your pushrods or just get new ones while you have it apart.

Joseph_the_builder

Reaction score
I just installed Hamilton pushrods and Hamilton Valve Springs before the initial fire up. I guess it's time to order a cam and new lifters since apparently the machine shop charged all that money for a rebuild but didn't replace the lifters or anything sadly. Going to try this one more time. If not, this thing is going to be parted out and scrapped. Tired of this nightmare just about.

webb06

Reaction score
I just installed Hamilton pushrods and Hamilton Valve Springs before the initial fire up. I guess it's time to order a cam and new lifters since apparently the machine shop charged all that money for a rebuild but didn't replace the lifters or anything sadly. Going to try this one more time. If not, this thing is going to be parted out and scrapped. Tired of this nightmare just about.

Man I've been in your shoes. Once it's up and running good you'll absolutely love it. Hang in there.

Latest posts

Members online