the trials and tribulations of my truck...

djberg

Reaction score
so it's been a bit since i've been on here life has had me busy as an s.o.b.

so first part of what's been happening, after reading about frank's diy injector stiction clean up/diy injector boring, i went out and bought a 8 sets of alliant orings for my sticks and made a clamp, and tore into the beast. did the even's first(drivers bank)started about 7pm and by about 3am had it all back together, went to fire it up and it instantly ran like absolute crap! scared off my rocker via i just really screwed up my truck, shaking i walked form my buddies to my place(about 2 miles) mid way back i got to thinking about all of what could have went wrong, and wondered if maybe i didnt get the ficm plugged all the way in. sure as sh*t that was it, one of the connector clips broke off and my driver side bank was with out injection control, huge sigh of releaf, couple of zip ties later all was well. so on to the passenger's side, that went well, other than man all mighty is that a tight fit for the torx bolts on the bottom side of the oil rail, far easier to deal with the cab off. did get some measurements that i have now lost since then. and the best thing i can say about tearing your sticks apart is everything to the left, long side of the siliniod harness, long side of the spool valve, and the notch for the injector clam all go to the left. at later date i will be having my injectors machined, really not as scary as it seems once you figure out how they go together.

so one of the reasons i did the stiction cleaning, was i have a miss and can hear it plain as day, and that did nada for it, really there was not much if any varnish on any of my spools and a few had some in the needles and injector bores. but did not solve anything for the miss.

so still pondering the miss, i did drop the hammer on a barder stage 2, the south bend dual organic, a slr++ from gearhead, and a 140x from php....

so first thing to arrive was the slr++, stoked as ever to have a gearhead tune finally of course it went in that morning(ordered thurs and had it at like mid night), thanks matt and lars for the super fast turn around. now it's a wait to get the turbo(james was out of town so he was delayed by a few days but still got it to me a day before he told me i would get it) and clutch(feeling kinda luck to have one since there were only 2 flywheels for 6.0's in house).

so while zipping around running matts tune i looked down and my icp would not brake 2000psi!?!??!??! freaked out since last i looked it was running about 3500 on a ficm and canned sct performance tune. pull my dip stick, oil looked a bit thin and i smelled diesel(must have just been on my hand)... oh sh*t, well did the outer alliant orings not seal? did i not get enough torque on the injector bodies? is the 65psi i have my fuel system set up at too much?wtf?!?!?!?? well that would explain the low icp. so the next morning a 8 sets of outer orings, and an oil change at the price of $200 gotta pull them all again, dropped the fuel pressure down to 57psi, did all the injectors again and still only 2000psi?!?!??!?!

so i emailed matt, and come to find out his tunes top out at 2150 or so. :shocked:
i so wish i had asked him that before i dropped that money that i had. and i reloaded my other combo and icp was back up to 3650...

so then the clutch shows up, super stoked, still have yet to install since life has my time by the balls, and i'm hoping that there is some kind of torque management system going on trying to keep the truck safe? maybe the truck monitors the variance between the cps sensor and a rpm sensor on the tranny? so i'm hoping to have full power back after the clutch goes in.

as for the barder, well lets see, first off again big props to james for getting my turbo right out to me, and a day before he quoted me, second i'm waiting to get the clutch in to see what this thing will really do, and well third and this will definitely get some laughs, and boy do i feel old, but the damn thing is ridiculously loud!!!!!!! like i can barely hear the engine over the turbo!!!!

and back to the miss after some research, i have two thoughts on the miss, both are from bent exhaust push rods, either from my "jake braking", or turbo surge trying to shift to fast for what the truck will let me. it seems if i want to shift faster than off the throttle, pause, clutch, pause throttle again i'm gonna need a freaking blow off valve, so i'm researching both bov's and a way to keep it quiet...

so i'm prob ably gonna grab 8 push rods, check all of them and replace what i find, since i didnt see anything wrong while performing the oring Olympics...

there will be pics later of the clutch and turbo, havent gotten to uploading them to a host yet.

Gearhead

Reaction score
you do realize that my 2100 on the read out is 3800 in reality right? and don't run it with a huge ficm flash. I recommend the economy or at most the 40HP flash.

djberg

Reaction score
yeah, wish i would have known that pre the oh crap scenario. was totally my fault, of my readings and understandings, until you had informed me elsewise i thought all "full fuel" files read out at 4000. again my own fault, no one else. as the title says trials and tribulations, no matter how much i search i cant ever find all the info to what i'm looking for, though it seems in the post scenario i might have a better search idea.

i finally pulled the ficm tune out of it, and loaded just yours, and really am still waiting to see what happens with real resistance at the clutch, before i make any real judgements on how your tune is. and it was swapped out again, after a half a day, since my buddies tranny died in his half ton chevy, on the way to a skate park with his trailer and i had to go grab that for him to limp his truck home.

just need to find the time to get that clutch in and check/swap pushrods, and quadruple check rockers. it never just goes as simple as planned lol.

Mdub707

Reaction score
The tunes are still running a real 4000psi at the pump, but your readings are off on the monitor. It's a way to trick it into adding injection pressure earlier on, put simply. If you monitor ICP voltage, you'll see voltage is correct. There is a chart to show you what your ICP is based on voltage. This is why any time you need to diagnose a high pressure oil system issue, it's recommended to put it back to stock so you can get accurate readings.

http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/...perduty/HPO Pictures/ICPVoltagevsPressure.png

djberg

Reaction score
Thanks Mike, always learning. And as they say "to be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid" might not be so young now but still pretty stupid in the grand scheme of the 6.0. Every time I do anything to this truck I learn something else.

djberg

Reaction score
Lol I'm still a guy, the best lessons are learned the hard way.

djberg

Reaction score
so the clutch and turbo made it in and grabbed 8 pushrods to swap out any that were screwed up until...

eff it i'll do it later had about half of it written then closed the thread on myself. :cursing:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online