Thermostat Choices

euroford

Reaction score
Here in the rockies i run the 203deg. thermostat out of necessity. With the stock thermostat and manual trans i wasn't able to keep the motor warm enough when heading downhill or in traffic during cold weather. It would get so cool that i couldn't keep the windshield defrosted.

As for warm temps, the most i've seen is 223deg. oil temp. this only happens when i get stuck in low speed or stop and go traffic during hot weather above 7,000 feet with the A/C cranking. the fan will be fully cranking at this point, if i shut the A/C off temps begin to drop back to 218ish. If i can keep hauling ass temps are pretty steady around 212ish, performance is great and the fan doesn't run enough to be noticeable.

I'm far more bothered by the fan running full blast than i am by the temp, that fan can absorb enough power to make the truck feel pretty sluggish off the line, especially heading uphill with a load. guys with only two pedals probably wouldn't find this as annoying as i do.

Reaction score
It was 235ish unloaded fwy driving.
Was 205ish before the 203*.

Tapatalking from a wind turbine
Install the 6.0 fan, it cut my temps a good bit

06-6.0l, CCLB 4X4, studded, reworked heads, egr gone, cab reroute, blue spring mod, 6.4 banjos, updated dummy plugs, stand pipe, and stc fitting; New oil cooler, New ipr, New icp, atlas 40 FICM, powermax turbo, and Geerhead tunes, 325/65R18

KBMKVIII

Reaction score
Install the 6.0 fan, it cut my temps a good bit

06-6.0l, CCLB 4X4, studded, reworked heads, egr gone, cab reroute, blue spring mod, 6.4 banjos, updated dummy plugs, stand pipe, and stc fitting; New oil cooler, New ipr, New icp, atlas 40 FICM, powermax turbo, and Geerhead tunes, 325/65R18

lol, I'm good there...

fb4036739e7d986a21d4957db2d83a76.jpg

Reaction score
Those move enough air? Most say electric fans are no sufficient enough

euroford

Reaction score
You running any mods? Injectors or hpop?

pretty mellow compared to others around here: Banks intercooler, RR fuel system, upgraded stock turbo, adrenaline hpop and swamps 200/30 injectors. good combo for a mountain recreation rig though, will be better when I add a S364.5sxe in a couple months.

cjfarm111

Reaction score
Yes you will enjoy that turbo for sure. And when I tow when it's warm out my oil temp gets up there too. I think I'm also going to try that 180 t-stat

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
Ordering a 180* tonight. Is it worth it to order the billet housing as well or not really?

I went ahead and ordered the billet housing along with the t-stat. I heard a lot of people having problems when changing so to keep from having any further issues I got it. My luck it would have broke or leaked then I would have to wait so I just went with it.

dsberman94

Reaction score
I went ahead and ordered the billet housing along with the t-stat. I heard a lot of people having problems when changing so to keep from having any further issues I got it. My luck it would have broke or leaked then I would have to wait so I just went with it.

Same thing I figured. The website said they only had 2 tstats left. We may be the last two people in the world to buy them since terminator engineering seems to have closed down. Lol.

79jasper

Reaction score
Other companies make new housings also....
Of course I'm not towing heavy currently. But I like the way my truck reacted to the 203.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

KBMKVIII

Reaction score
I will say this, the 203* was awesome in the winter.
Had great heat much faster and would actually get up to temp.
But I don't think that's what we're talking about here.

PABowhunter

Reaction score
I bought a stock 195 thermostat just to have in stock. I'll have to measure the temps the after I get it back together.

Looks like Riff Raff is out of the 180 tstat. Wonder if this thread wiped them out.

dsberman94

Reaction score
I bought a stock 195 thermostat just to have in stock. I'll have to measure the temps the after I get it back together.

Looks like Riff Raff is out of the 180 tstat. Wonder if this thread wiped them out.

Told ya me and turboSuzuki were the last ones to get them.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
that is the hottest spot in the engine and 215 is not very hot. the fans on bigrigs dont even think about coming on until 230

nothing wrong wit choosing to keep it cooler but you are not even nearing the dangerzone at that cylinder head temp

Yeah i agree its the hottest part of the engine.
I disagree with you on the 230 part thou,
Ive owned and operated a trucking company for the last 25 years and never have i seen fan on temps at 230. The hottest engines i have in my fleet come on at 216, those are 3406E model cats and c15,c-15 accert cats.

I do get a little paranoid thou when temps get up to 220 with no sign of coming down so i just play it safe and back out of it. , good way to crack a head at 230-240 all the time.

Swaan's and my truck build up are very similar. We both have the Horton E-fan clutch and Mishimoto rad. Part of the E-fan clutch, a coolant temp sensor needs to be installed in the head to turn it on.

I am running an Int'l water pump with the integral coolant filter. I believe I'm running either a 191* or 195* t-stat. The sensor is my head is rated at 210*. The gauge sensor for my coolant gauge is at the water outlet. I see a 5* hotter temp at the outlet. I see 215* on the Autometer gauge before the E-clutch locks upI'm thinking that there is difference in temp sensors.

I have the same issue as Swaan when towing heavy up grades as I also have to back out of it. I think that the OBS radiator wasn't designed to have an IC in front of it. I also have a 6.0 trans cooler in front of the IC. I have no issues with trans temp, EGTs, AC is an ice box, just coolant when pulling long grades. I see 220* on the gauge and I start backing out of it.

If I know that I have to pull a long grade while towing, I manually lock the clutch and it keeps up. I pull the hills doing 70 in OD but if the hill is steep and long, I drop into 3rd.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Swaan

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. So much heat coming off the air to air intercooler and the rad wasn't designed for that.
Not a problem at all with anything else temp wise , just coolant.