Things to known about 6.7L

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
MAINTENANCE can't stress that enough. If you change your oil yourself make sure you have a long oil pan because when you pull the plug out it will shoot way out LOL found out the hard way.

yeah, i forgot i read this a while back and sure as chit, your right! shot out about 2.5 feet and covered me in oil!! pissed me off!! anybody know what fumoto drain valve these take? gonna be my next purchase!!

live life full throttle

WHY NOT

Reaction score
Anyone know how hard it is to change to the metal oil pan? My dealer told me it was like a 10hour job???

sagebel

Reaction score
Hardest part is keeping oil off of the clean seating surface for the new pan (and cleaning up the mess from pulling the stupid yellow plug).

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
what is the yellow plug? mine has a steel pan and the plug is on the right rear bottom corner facing toward the rear axle.

live life full throttle

WHY NOT

Reaction score
The 11s and early 12s have a plastic oil pan with a yellow drain plug.

Sent from my I fone 5

CrossTx

Reaction score
Has any one tried Schaffers oil in a 6.7. ?

Thats what i have run in mine for the past year. Stuffs great. Last 2 changes i went with royal purple cuz i dont have my old shop to keep a drum of it in lol.

Spindrift

Reaction score
Any particular reason why Ford went with a plastic pan, or why they changed to a metal one? Never heard of a plastic pan on a truck

sagebel

Reaction score
I do t know but the metal one felt lighter than the plastics one. I'm sure the plastic 1/4 turn yellow plug was used to reduce maintenance time because all of the oil comes out as soon as you think about pulling it. So glad my new to me 2012 has a metal pan.

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
I like the plastic pan, can't rust and oil drains fast! very few tools needed. have you guys noticed that when they switched to a metal oil pan they also cheapened up the diff cover and went back to steel?

vcassens

Reaction score
I like the plastic pan, can't rust and oil drains fast! very few tools needed. have you guys noticed that when they switched to a metal oil pan they also cheapened up the diff cover and went back to steel?

I just changed the oil on one the other day and never even got out a tool LOL if you have a good grip you can get the plug out and take the filter off with no tools

sootie

Reaction score

yup-just got a new truck yesterday, cheap ass diff covers

Rivrat

Reaction score
I wrote this thread and completely forgot about it. Wish I hadn't. I missed the oil change tip. Yep got covered in scalding hot oil. Then decided to change my fuel filters. Firestone wanted $300 to change them. Top one went fine. The bottom on the other hand........ I was twisting it off and the molded in nut on the bottom sheared off and dumped diesel all over me. I called the dealer about 20 miles away and they had the bowls in stock. I bought 2 of them at $23 each. I ended up saving in all about $230 and acquired some good pointers.

Thanks for all the other tips. Next for me is a tuner, exhaust, intake, deletes. I have 14k miles left on my warranty but think I'm going to pul the trigger

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

sagebel

Reaction score
I must have a mid build 2012. I have the newer oil pan and older finned rear diff cover. I have thought about buying a spare fuel filter housing. I guess it might be a good idea.

Latest posts

Members online