Think its time for a BTS..

TyCorr

Reaction score
if he's chargin 500 for the 6.0 coller go on ebay and get one for like 100-200 bones and take it with you.

Is that what new ones are going for on ebay? Seems like I saw some on there that were at least 300. Im not trying to knock the guys advice. Not at all! But thats a hard part to swallow. It doesnt seem like a great part...not good enough to be putting in front of a trans like Brian builds. But I am comint to terms with my issue.

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
Thats true! I am pretty easy on the pedal anyway. Ive got 256k...(well more really been lifted on at least 37" tires most of its life) so my odometer is off. We'll just say its got 256k lifted miles. Maybe I should have my chip reburned while Im there? He could optimize everything and setup the truck for the trans.

I just hope I can make it down there with my weak tranny! Ha ha...I guess if Im easy on it and dont run the tuner.

I'd say you are due for a rebuild!! My trans was WEAK for months. I ran it in stock and babied it for a looong time. Good thing too, OD steels had some hot spots, 3rd was burned pretty good and 2nd was just short of FUBAR - I skated in on thin ice!!

I am a fan of Brian's tunes, but I don't see him 'selling' them. I was very unhappy with my previous tunes and ASKED him for a chip. I think he was surprised I already had tunes... He told my friend Mike to keep his tunes (same ones I didn't like) and I already convinced Mike to get a new chip! He did recommend having tuner switch his trans logic to PMT2 (???) instead of the jacked-up stuff that he had going on.

BTW, that 'tuning' he's gonna do for the trans is the shift plate (i think thats what its called). Its a BIG DEAL! I had 325/60/18's on my X when I went for trans and he set it up for those tires. When I told him I was gonna change back to 285/75/16's - he said 'ohhh, its gonna shift hard and you'll need to drop the pan and change shift plates - just let me know and I'll send ya one'. I thought I wouldn't mind 'shifting a little harder', but I was wrong. I miss how SMOOOOTH it was. It's kinda like bass, ALOT sounds good on certain songs - but even a little too much 'all the time' is annoying...

TyCorr

Reaction score
@skyski-so are you saying if I want tunes he'll probably put em on my chip? Or did I miss what you were saying altogether?

Im in the same boat as you were:running 325/80's and Im going to be ditching the lift and running a level kit and smaller rubber.

I appreciate the advice and words of wisdom...pretty big purchase!

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
@skyski-so are you saying if I want tunes he'll probably put em on my chip? Or did I miss what you were saying altogether?

Im in the same boat as you were:running 325/80's and Im going to be ditching the lift and running a level kit and smaller rubber.

I appreciate the advice and words of wisdom...pretty big purchase!

He can burn new tunes on a TS-style chip. Be sure to call ahead and tell him ya wanna do that.

Talk to Brian about the rubber situation. He may set it up for what you're gonna run, or might send ya home with THAT shift plate and you change it when ya change tires...

On the big investment - I'm with ya. I spent more than 1/2 what I paid for the X at BTS!! But I know sooooo many PSD's on their 2nd, 3rd even 4rth 'upgraded' trans rebuild that I thoroughly believe I'm money ahead with BTS. It works perfect and I have no fear it will fail and leave me stranded. Since I work all over the country and pull a 13k lb TT - having that confidence is HUGE for me.

TyCorr

Reaction score
He can burn new tunes on a TS-style chip. Be sure to call ahead and tell him ya wanna do that.

Talk to Brian about the rubber situation. He may set it up for what you're gonna run, or might send ya home with THAT shift plate and you change it when ya change tires...

On the big investment - I'm with ya. I spent more than 1/2 what I paid for the X at BTS!! But I know sooooo many PSD's on their 2nd, 3rd even 4rth 'upgraded' trans rebuild that I thoroughly believe I'm money ahead with BTS. It works perfect and I have no fear it will fail and leave me stranded. Since I work all over the country and pull a 13k lb TT - having that confidence is HUGE for me.

Thats an excellent point! I dont know that Ill have any coin left for mods this year after the bts. Maybe but Im not real sure on that.

I will definitely bring up the tuning even though my tuning is good. I can load any tunes I want and I am stiiiil running the six that I initially picked. Mainly because I like the hottest tune I have. It drives nice if you arent heavy in the pedal but if you pin it it'll start moving quick!

OBSWIZ

Reaction score
Just a FYI, we are a BTS dealer and drop ship all over the country..best price to your door..

PM me if I can help just need a zip.

Cary

TyCorr

Reaction score
THanks Cary! Ill definitely keep that in mind. My shop flooded last month and I dont really know that my facilities are up to doing the swap.

BigRedDiesel

Reaction score
I have gotten to go to BTS 2x now and I'll drag another truck over there every chance I get!!

I would account for the second trip! Still thanks again! As for the trip I can't begin to explain it. Things they said are still popping into my mind and I'm finally beginning to understand more and more of what they were talking about. I went with the cooler and glad I did. I also walked away with a 1.00 housing and few other things after talking with Brian. That is a group of people who truly love their jobs!

TyCorr

Reaction score
I am totally liking everything I am hearing and would love to talk to them unfortunately they are giving me TONS of time to research other transmission builders.

I dont get lots of time off from work and when I do get a day or even a couple hours I need to get things done, questions answered.

I talked to Tina Friday and she said Bri was out test driving a truck. He'd be back but not before they closed for the day. Told me to call in at 8am Monday. Did. And at ten. Called twice Tuesday. Called three times today and as of noon Tina said he'd call me back in a few minutes.

Havent heard a word.

We'll see.

BigRedDiesel

Reaction score
Have you spoken to Tina? I was thoroughly impressed with how much she knew about the trans and I was so comfortable with her I didn't even talk to Brian until we pulled into the shop.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I asked Tina a bunch of questions and all she said she was able to answer was pricing questions.

I had questions for Brian, and I kinda want that stuff answered by the builder himself before I plunk down what lots of people pay for a used car for a gourmet tranny. I dont want anyone to intervene or 'help' I just want them to put him on the phone when I call or AT THE VERY LEAST call me back when they say they will. I'll admit Im getting frustrated.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Just like all good shops he's a busy dude. If he didnt call u back its because he couldnt get away from what he was doing or tina didnt know what he was doing...

TyCorr

Reaction score
I hear ya. I just would want somebody to be there if I buy one and it breaks. I couldnt wait a week in that case to find out what is going on. Im hoping I hear from them in the next day or two. Im not calling anymore. Ive called and left my info and my trucks info two or three times. I need to know when/if he can do it. Like I said, I dont have much time or opportunity to call people. Im busy too..haha. Workin full time and running my own business...ha ha.

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
I hear ya. I just would want somebody to be there if I buy one and it breaks.

In the few instances I've read about one of Brian's transmissions having a problem - it appeared the problem became Brian's first priority. Consider they got to this point of 'bulletproof' by making things that broke stronger! He does not have the reputation he does because his transmissions fail or not standing behind his 'lifetime' warranty.

I will say if you get to go there and watch a build/ask questions - Brian won't let you out of the building until ya feel like you got your money's worth. Since many of the parts in his trans are exclusive, this is not a transmission that is 'duplicated' anywhere else - and why he is willing to offer a full warranty to a guy making 2-3x stock HP who does boosted 4wd launches on a daily basis.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
So 6000 is a more realistic price? I mean the cooler is $500. You're already at 5k now. Tax is another 3-4 hundred. I thought you walked in and plunked 4500 down and you were done?

I paid $5000 and some change for my BTS that included shipping, my Schaeffer tranny fluid and 6.0L Trans cooler, installed myself.

I hope so cuz if its gonna be 5500 thats alot more than 4500. I mean I dont wanna leave there with a dirty old tranny cooler feeding that trans but Im not gonna plunk down 450 bucks plus install for a different cooler. Ill be out there putting a trucool in it in the parking lot across the street before I pay 5-600 for a 6L cooler, installed.

Racer x make anything decent?

I bought my Transcooler from a junk yard for $170 and flushed it out and have not had a problem with it or the trans. keep an eye out for deals like that. i probably could have and should have paid less. but oh well.

Tom S

Reaction score
I can understand why you would get frustrated on the phone deal. I have spent some time in that shop on a few trips and Brian always has more work then he can handle it seems. I do not think his average work day is 9-5 by any means.

Tom

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I can understand why you would get frustrated on the phone deal. I have spent some time in that shop on a few trips and Brian always has more work then he can handle it seems. I do not think his average work day is 9-5 by any means.

Tom

no way is he 9-5.... i showed up at 8 at night cuz he said he is usually there and has stuff to do..... and i drove down from minnesota when i got laid off last winter..

Latest posts

Members online