Think my trans is done

TyCorr

Reaction score
If you drive a lot and dont have or plan to add tons of power the Ford hd is a nice unit. They work very well. Add a 6l cooler and call it good.

The twisted stg2 is a great tranny. I ran one for a year and then sold my trans/injectors/hpop etc to a nearby friend and he uses that stuff in his worktruck. I had 175/80s and 250/200s in front of it. They dont recommend the 250/200 anymore for the stg2 but when I did it it held fine and shifted with authority. Not rough but it didnt pussyfoit around.

greyford1979

Reaction score
Having multiple options sure does make it a pain to make a decision when you're spending thousands. I've been up in the air on mine for a while LOL

ThreeFitty

Reaction score
The truck does less than 8k miles a year total all said and done. I have owned it the last 20k miles and dont beat on it but I sure get into the skinny pedal trying to get on the highway. I knew this time was coming, the trans was a little finicky when I bought it and you always had to make sure you never got too anxious when getting on the throttle when shifting into drive or reverse, or else it would throw a fit and make you try again.

I think ive decided on just going back in with the regular factory unit and installing the larger 6.0 cooler and all new lines. Ill get a nice and easy tow tune for it and call it good. The truck isnt exactly in pristine shape as it is and needs alot more little things like rear brakes, rust repair, and other things that will be nickle and diming me shortly. I also noticed while I was under there that my rear diff is leaking and ive started hearing a chirping from the driver side rear that I need to investigate.

ThreeFitty

Reaction score
Having multiple options sure does make it a pain to make a decision when you're spending thousands. I've been up in the air on mine for a while LOL
Exactly, and the face that it hasnt up and quit just yet also makes it harder for me to make a decision. If the thing was dead in the water I would have already made my decision and decided to live with it right or wrong. Oh well!

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
Exactly, and the face that it hasnt up and quit just yet also makes it harder for me to make a decision. If the thing was dead in the water I would have already made my decision and decided to live with it right or wrong. Oh well!

Best of luck with whatever way you go. My Trans goes into forward and reverse fine but if I start putting power to it the rpm,s just hang up and sometimes if in a rush I have to back out the throttle to get it to shift. It shifts different all the time sometimes it will shift and you can feel her pull hard or just slip and then it's back out the gas till it decides to shift. It's most annoying when going 25mph through a neighborhood and you can feel and hear it shift back and forth, if you have a load on it then it won't do it.

People that drive my truck for the first time always say "Dammit man what's up with that Damm transmission ?" Lol I'm use to it so now to me it just seems normal. Sorry forgot to add trans is completely stock but truck was tuned on dyno and makes more power.

Last edited:

Zmann

Reaction score
I was going to suggest an OEM but I thought you were set on aftermarket and I didn't want you to second guess

now I will chime in ;-)

the OEM is the route I went for my 5r
here is who does them for Ford http://www.almaproducts.com/products/reman-transmissions

mine came full of fluid and with a Ford air to oil cooler ( but not a 26 row like mine so i still had to buy one ) even came with a Torque converter and nuts

I am sure yours will be similar

the best part was the warranty 3 year unlimited milage and even with my self install my tranny and R&R labor is covered at any Ford dealer

it's not the billet badas.s I wanted but it does have piece of mind because if a JW /ATS /NAPD or other tranny chits the bed and your out of town what are you going to do ??

I will just get towed to Ford

hucorey

Reaction score
There is nothing HD about the Ford 4R100HD reman. We've had many of them apart. For a $1000 less you can get into a STG1 Sam Wyse transmission.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TyCorr

Reaction score
There is nothing HD about the Ford 4R100HD reman. We've had many of them apart. For a $1000 less you can get into a STG1 Sam Wyse transmission.

He's doing mine right now. First stg2 with the new updates. Im hoping its badass because Im going to be running it.

hucorey

Reaction score
He's doing mine right now. First stg2 with the new updates. Im hoping its badass because Im going to be running it.
Ha, no chit. I've got to pick another one up that's going to S Carolina.

He's doing alot of upgrades to the STG3 and 4's to where they are almost a full roller trans.

mandkole

Reaction score
The truck does less than 8k miles a year total all said and done. I have owned it the last 20k miles and dont beat on it but I sure get into the skinny pedal trying to get on the highway. I knew this time was coming, the trans was a little finicky when I bought it and you always had to make sure you never got too anxious when getting on the throttle when shifting into drive or reverse, or else it would throw a fit and make you try again.

I think ive decided on just going back in with the regular factory unit and installing the larger 6.0 cooler and all new lines. Ill get a nice and easy tow tune for it and call it good. The truck isnt exactly in pristine shape as it is and needs alot more little things like rear brakes, rust repair, and other things that will be nickle and diming me shortly. I also noticed while I was under there that my rear diff is leaking and ive started hearing a chirping from the driver side rear that I need to investigate.

Be sure to upgrade with a nice triple disk converter and perhaps a valve body as well.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Ha, no chit. I've got to pick another one up that's going to S Carolina.

He's doing alot of upgrades to the STG3 and 4's to where they are almost a full roller trans.

And the stage 2 :poke:

hucorey

Reaction score
It has a few updates. I was just over there earlier on my way into to the mill to drop off a 5R. The STG2 now comes standard with a DPC converter instead of the previous Recon triple disk. Has a triple load center support instead of most have a dual. A couple of ball bearings for better centering of the intermediate shaft instead of the factory sloppy bushings.

I need to update my website as it doesn't show the new stuff.

TyCorr

Reaction score
It has a few updates. I was just over there earlier on my way into to the mill to drop off a 5R. The STG2 now comes standard with a DPC converter instead of the previous Recon triple disk. Has a triple load center support instead of most have a dual. A couple of ball bearings for better centering of the intermediate shaft instead of the factory sloppy bushings.

I need to update my website as it doesn't show the new stuff.

Hmmmm. Ok. Ive been waiting becauseh e was machining my stg2 for the roller bearing treatment.

And is the dpc an upgrade over the recon? I think he did say that on the phone.

hucorey

Reaction score
Hmmmm. Ok. Ive been waiting becauseh e was machining my stg2 for the roller bearing treatment.

And is the dpc an upgrade over the recon? I think he did say that on the phone.
The DPC is definitely an upgrade. Better stator inside. He just got in a bunch more machined parts in the other day too.

ThreeFitty

Reaction score
Well I made some progress, Trans is ready to go back in, got delayed because when I pulled the trans I found the Up-pipes were basically off the manifolds.....I wondered why I heard a little exhaust leak..... Some RiffRaff bellowed up pipes are in now and now the trans is going in this weekend. Hopefully all goes well.

Anybody know if the 6.0 coolers have a certain flow? Not sure if there is a certain side that I should put the return to.

Latest posts

Members online