think my turbos dead

n54power

Reaction score
well I ordered up my new billet wheel with plans of installing it this weekend. yesterday I was driving slow,light throttle and heard a metal on metal sound. kinda like a lathe but speed increased with throttle. im thinking my turbos done. im pulling my inlet off and checking for play tomorrow,but before I do Ive got a couple questions.
first,if it is the turbo and ive got enough play letting the wheel contact the housing,is it rebuildible? I mean theres got to be a point were rebuilding just doesn't make sense. im currently at roughly 225k miles running a tune since the first 5k miles.
if im gambling with a rebuild IE,trying to polish a turd,ive got a couple ideas,and please understand I know the standards and what should be done but im trying to increase the potential output. ie the billet wheel and add a 1.0ar.

first,i could get a new chra which would cost 2-250$,and add a 1.0ar.
another would be to buy a used turbo and gamble on condition.

a strange idea I came up with was option three. cxracing has their version of a thruster II. 66mm wheel,1.0 housing,360 thrust washer. claims a 40% increase yada yada yada.
the reason ive given it some thought was I can get one shipped to my door new for under $550. cxracing had supported me in my wrx/sti and evo builds so I get a small discount.
then add a 66mm billet wheel to it. I figure it will spool pretty quick,make some decent power and over all a pretty good setup.
and last,send my billet wheel back to clay and put $200 credit towards a 38r.

I don't have any power goals.just a solid runner.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
I think the issue with modding a stocker is the exhaust side.

It already has an issue moving air so a 66mm wheel In my opinion might be worse then a stock wheel (surge issue)

If its toast. You could find a low mile core and put your billet wheel on it. Or return the wheel and throw on a 38r.

To me it would decide on if bigger mods were coming in the future.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
get a hold of airfish on here... he usually has some take offs laying around... i bought one from him for one of three 7.3s i was working on at the time and it was in better shape than two of the turbos that didnt need replaced... then put your billet wheel in it...

that billet wheel compliments that stock turbo well.... but as stated, depends on what your doing in the future..

live life full throttle

n54power

Reaction score
I pulled the boot off to check the play. Not really any horizontal play but vertical was more than u thought it should have. I could get a decent up/down side/side.
I bind the wheel and slow it down.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
is it contacting the housing when you push up and down? if not then it should be ok? in and out play is what really matters most..

live life full throttle

n54power

Reaction score
Shaft is straight. It sounds and after looking closer its making contact.

SledDogg

Reaction score
D66 IS BETTER than a 38R. Its easily & chea to rebuild. Far quieter than a GTP38R as well.
Performance wise it moves More AIR it as well. 38R was designed for a stock motor. I'd get a 1.0 a/r exhaust housing (wastegated if possible $$ wise). EBPV needs eliminated, and pedastal plugged. No Limit Tuning & Design sells a Dominator 66 for $1300 1yr warranty with their tunes. It made 585hp on Jonathons truck.

Last edited:

littleredstroker

Reaction score
D66 IS BETTER than a 38R. Its easily & chea to rebuild. Far quieter than a GTP38R as well.
Performance wise it moves More AIR it as well. 38R was designed for a stock motor. I'd get a 1.0 a/r exhaust housing (wastegated if possible $$ wise). EBPV needs eliminated, and pedastal plugged. No Limit Tuning & Design sells a Dominator 66 for $1300 1yr warranty with their tunes. It made 585hp on Jonathons truck.

Personally... I think you are on drugs...

The d 66 in my fathers obs is a joke excuse for a upgrade.... Spools a little faster but doesn't clean up or appear to flow more than his stocker. Maybe 50* drops in temp too...

sent while staring at a windowed block

thuglike

Reaction score
Personally... I think you are on drugs...

The d 66 in my fathers obs is a joke excuse for a upgrade.... Spools a little faster but doesn't clean up or appear to flow more than his stocker. Maybe 50* drops in temp too...

Our Brute 66 is good to 600hp, spools quicker than stock and if you run our tunes we will warranty it for a full year!!!

If his d66 doesn't clean up a decent sized injector...tuning may need to be tweeked.

rat49f6

Reaction score
Is this for a obs or super duty?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

rat49f6

Reaction score
I know that im asking for a reason...

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Milford

Reaction score
38R IMHO is a joke..... Mine just took a dump about 3 hours ago in my driveway. Turned the truck off and heard it spinning like normal then just stopped. Checked the intake with my hand and it wont spin. 5 years old but only around 50K or so. Only 3 months with stage IIs when it was new and since 12-09 been back to stock injectors with a chip. T4 setup would have been money well spent, 38R not so much. Just my opinion though.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
38R IMHO is a joke..... Mine just took a dump about 3 hours ago in my driveway. Turned the truck off and heard it spinning like normal then just stopped. Checked the intake with my hand and it wont spin. 5 years old but only around 50K or so. Only 3 months with stage IIs when it was new and since 12-09 been back to stock injectors with a chip. T4 setup would have been money well spent, 38R not so much. Just my opinion though.

And the 38r can't be rebuilt...

lincolnlocker

Reaction score

wtf did you do to a 38r to trash it that bad???? i know of a couple guys that sprayed the chit out of a 38r and it lasted longer then yours!... ive beat the ever livin piss out of mine and it doesn't have anymore shaft play then it did when it was bran new.

live life full throttle

Milford

Reaction score
I honestly have no idea! Im kind of upset about it but hey, it happens. I am going to pull it out today when I get home from work and throw my stocker back in it. I will look through it and see if I can figure anything out.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
I honestly have no idea! Im kind of upset about it but hey, it happens. I am going to pull it out today when I get home from work and throw my stocker back in it. I will look through it and see if I can figure anything out.

I have a buddy whose 38r only lasted about a 2 years and not many miles at all. Did the same thing as yours, it was fine and suddenly locked up tight.

Southmike

Reaction score
rebuild the turbo slap the whel on it and go...

what is your cool down procedure milford do you let it idle ?
I have a slow run though the neighborhood so I usually idle in.

Latest posts

Members online