Thinking about a gearing change

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
So for whatever reason the p.o. Of my truck Thought a 4.30 gear would be sweet on a regular cab truck that never tows and has 32" tires. I'm assuming it was meant to be a band-aid for the way the truck spools with stock up pipes and the egr cooler in-tact...

I'll changing the up pipes out and putting some new manifolds on the truck along with getting rid of the egr cooler, so that should address the spool. Once that's taken care of I would really like to get rid of the 4.30's. I never take the truck anywhere because it's unbearable on the highway between turning 2500 rpm and the stack being right behind my head.

I pretty much only cruise and drag the truck, and like I said the tires are right around 32.5" tall.. What gear should I go with? I've seen that some of the dedicated drag trucks go with 3.31's but I like the prices on a set of 3.55's.

Fwiw here's a dyno chart so you can see where the truck makes it's power:

evadapys.jpg

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
I know a guy that might want your 4.30s. Wasn't your truck built by Hallas?

Yes it was, and for the life of me I can't figure out why he would have left the egr cooler on.. It may be blocked off, but still.

The truck was built a long time ago I think (08) the 6.0 game has come a long way since.

Can u post the whole dyno graph?

Yeah.. That little snippet is pretty useless, I'll dig it up and post it.

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
Yes it was, and for the life of me I can't figure out why he would have left the egr cooler on.. It may be blocked off, but still.

The truck was built a long time ago I think (08) the 6.0 game has come a long way since.

I wasn't commenting on it being built by him because the egr cooler thing. The guy I know who might want your gears is a customer of mine who was a customer of Mike's. I guess Mike told him he should go to 4.30s for a fun street truck. Makes sense if you want a peppy truck to never go over 75 with or drive on the highway at all but other than that I think it makes no sense.

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
I wasn't commenting on it being built by him because the egr cooler thing. The guy I know who might want your gears is a customer of mine who was a customer of Mike's. I guess Mike told him he should go to 4.30s for a fun street truck. Makes sense if you want a peppy truck to never go over 75 with or drive on the highway at all but other than that I think it makes no sense.

If it spooled like an s366 should, it probably would be fun.. But it's pretty laggy. I have a hard time getting it spooled while staging.

I mean I guess it does good burnouts haha, It'll turn the tires without any boost. But I want to get a little more serious into racing it on the track and I feel like 4.30's will hold me back.

Also, if I was a 35" tire guy, the 4.30's would be fine.. But my truck will never see anything larger than a 305/45r22

Last edited:

Dlinzy

Reaction score
I bet you could come out ahead trading the entire axle for a 3.73 I know I'd pay 200 to swap and do all the work if you were close to dallas.

It's a chore to swap gears and internals...

Denny

Strokin89

Reaction score
If It were my truck I'd go 3.73 that's what I ran on my 02 loved em!

2005 F250 6.0 powerstroke, 6 speed manual, egr delete, arp head studs, new oil cooler, aftermarket coolant filter, custom intake, 4" down pipe into dual 6" stacks, 8" lift, TSD super panty dropper tune.

Trqmnstr

Reaction score

Peppy seems to be an understatement, lol.
Glad to hear Mike is still remembered in the psd world.

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
Peppy seems to be an understatement, lol.

Glad to hear Mike is still remembered in the psd world.

Of course
ube8aher.jpg

Sure wish I could talk to him, It sucks not knowing all the details of your own truck. Have to find everything out for myself.

Is it best to go with the ford gears? How's the aftermarket stuff like USA gear or Yukon?

I want to do a mechanical locker in the rear, what's decently street friendly?

william_ace

Reaction score
Give Randys ring and pinion a call. I'm sure they could steer you in the right direction. They have a bunch of choices. Are you going to do any traction aids while you are in there?

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
Of course
ube8aher.jpg

Sure wish I could talk to him, It sucks not knowing all the details of your own truck. Have to find everything out for myself.

Is it best to go with the ford gears? How's the aftermarket stuff like USA gear or Yukon?

I want to do a mechanical locker in the rear, what's decently street friendly?

I would suggest an air locker if you want a fun street set up that can hook up well. I drive my pulling truck on the street with no issues and then flip a switch and its no give. My true trac had a tendancy to not unlock sometimes, just irritating.

OUO Bars while you are there, and its game on :naughty:

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
Op
Give Romeo Ford a call, someone in the service dept may be able to steer you in the right direction on finding info on your truck. Idk if you knew but Mike was the head diesel tech there. Dude built some insane rigs.

Yukon is what a lot of crawlers use with great results, guys that turn more tq than most.

Last edited:

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
Op
Give Romeo Ford a call, someone in the service dept may be able to steer you in the right direction on finding info on your truck. Idk if you knew but Mike was the head diesel tech there. Dude built some insane rigs.

I worked with mike when he worked at deans sellers in Troy, MI. I also worked with chuck who was his lead tech, and he's the guy that took over the shop (rolling coal customs). I know some stuff, it's just the minor details.. Nbd, now that I'm turning the bolts on it I'll find out everything I need to know.

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
I would suggest an air locker if you want a fun street set up that can hook up well. I drive my pulling truck on the street with no issues and then flip a switch and its no give. My true trac had a tendancy to not unlock sometimes, just irritating.

OUO Bars while you are there, and its game on :naughty:

I don't drive the truck on the street enough to justify the expense of an air locker, Plus adding on board air etc..

OUO bars are on the list, and I know who to call for those ;)

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
I don't drive the truck on the street enough to justify the expense of an air locker, Plus adding on board air etc..

OUO bars are on the list, and I know who to call for those ;)

Have you looked into the Yukon Grizzly Lockers? Bunch of my buddies with hot 600-800+ street Duramax trucks run them becauase of awesome street characteristics!

I just bought my air locker pretty well and got the little ARB Compressor that works for it. Think i had a little over 1000 in it all, I just got tired of seizing up my true trac and free spinning every time I broke an axle shaft.. which happened all too often with my sterling haha

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.