thinking about a little more power...

Tonka350

Reaction score
hey guys, I'm thinking about a little more power to add to "the bitsh" when I get my taxes back...I'm looking into a cam, pushrods, oil, and possibly headers...POSSIBLY...I know for now I'll be adding a "7.3L van turbo with no ebpv" my total for the build I'm not trying to go over 2000 dollars if I can't help it....

all in all I'd be running stage 1 rosewoods, php 140 tunes on an edge cs platform, 5" exhaust converted dual exhaust with 7" tips, 6.0 I/C

what do you guys suggest? I found the cam for 635+ shipping a stage 1 from outlaw diesel.

any input? I finally want some decent power numbers ;)

Chad

davey99ps

Reaction score
I wouldn't do the cam, from what I've read they generally don't help, if anything they hurt ya. For 2grand, Jake at Irate could set you up with a s366 and a mount. I would definitely skip the cam an spend the $ in other places. You could also watch the classifieds for some bigger injectors, or maybe do a fuel system

Last edited:

Arisley

Reaction score
And I would for sure go with studs and springs. It makes it where you are not skeered to use the power. Helps keep the heads where they belong.

onebad7.3

Reaction score
Don't buy anything from Outlaw diesel, heard nothing but bad about them.

davey99ps

Reaction score
It may not give you the hp your looking for, but if you get the ground work laid 1st (springs, studs, pushrods, fuel system, etc) then when you do start adding power you'll have a solid foundation to build off of

Tonka350

Reaction score
well I'll be picking up my van turbo in about a month when I go on vacation to Georgia so hopefully that will help some and also help clear up some of my overfueling from my injectors and tuner....hopefully....I am not going to go with the cam, if for 635 dollars it doesn't effect very much than it's not worth it. I have most definitely been wanting some springs and pushrods as well as studs but that's almost 1000 dollars, I'm not planning MASSIVE power, like nothing over 450 hp that's about all I want and if I make that at the crank even I'd be happy.

Chad

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
hey guys, I'm thinking about a little more power to add to "the bitsh" when I get my taxes back...I'm looking into a cam, pushrods, oil, and possibly headers...POSSIBLY...I know for now I'll be adding a "7.3L van turbo with no ebpv" my total for the build I'm not trying to go over 2000 dollars if I can't help it....

all in all I'd be running stage 1 rosewoods, php 140 tunes on an edge cs platform, 5" exhaust converted dual exhaust with 7" tips, 6.0 I/C

what do you guys suggest? I found the cam for 635+ shipping a stage 1 from outlaw diesel.

any input? I finally want some decent power numbers ;)

Chad

And I would for sure go with studs and springs. It makes it where you are not skeered to use the power. Helps keep the heads where they belong.

Dont waste your money on a cam or headers. At your level that 2000$ bill would do little for you.

I would agree with Arisley, at least do the Comp 910s with a .030" shim and pushrods.

Throw in a T-500 oil pump, skip the van turbo and put that money coupled with what you have left over and talk to Jake at Irate for a T4 mount and turbo.

I would also look into trans mods if you already dont have some, TC or VB.

Tonka350

Reaction score
I think I'm going to be putting that 2k dollars towards a van turbo ( will work for all I want ), blank ebpv pedestal ( that way if I decide to go back to stock I didn't mess with mine ), regulated return, fuel bowl delete, fass system, and possibly some new tunes....anyone know of anyone who does live tuning on the 7.3's?

Chad

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
If you're stuck on a van turbo then that's fine. The blank ebpv pedestal is a waste. Just gut it yourself. Also, skip the fass. Just call Jake at Irate and get a full fuel system. Then you'll still have enough to get an srp-1.

bad12jr

Reaction score
The regulated return will get rid of a very large amount of the air. Had a Fass rep tell me that himself. Save your self 300 bucks and add 100 worth of filters and add a second SD pump for your goals it will keep up. Heck there are lots of OBS guys running stage 1's with the stock mechanical fuel system.
If you plan on no larger then stage ones I would run the van turbo as well but if you do plan to go to bigger sticks I would do the t4 mount and be done. The S366 will take alot more then the van charger.

Jason

Reaction score
Use the van turbo, it'll be fine with stage 1's forwhat you're wanting. I looked and $1300 for a mount, plus $750 for a turbo is insane for a lower power truck. If you were going bigger injectors, and wanted a good street turbo without the noise of a 38r, then a couple hundred bucks difference is no big deal. I'd get a t500, again, for what you're wanting, the $400 it costs will be more than sifficient and save you money. Next, I'd take the money saved and put a PI converter, and a valve body in. It could be John woods, racer x, suncoast, bts, trans go, it doesn't make a difference.

Everybody tries to recommend the $2k+ turbo setup, the $1k hpop, the DI uppipes, $5k bts transmission etc...and honestly that stuff just isn't always needed. These boards seem full of guys who believe you have to be making 550+ to have a "build" thread, and you have to spend $20k to build your 550hp 13 second truck. A strong running reliable dd, that will go another 250k miles without worrying about it, is a **** load cooler...and you take the $17k you saved, and put it towards a real toy.

Dslfumes

Reaction score
Use the van turbo, it'll be fine with stage 1's forwhat you're wanting. I looked and $1300 for a mount, plus $750 for a turbo is insane for a lower power truck. If you were going bigger injectors, and wanted a good street turbo without the noise of a 38r, then a couple hundred bucks difference is no big deal. I'd get a t500, again, for what you're wanting, the $400 it costs will be more than sifficient and save you money. Next, I'd take the money saved and put a PI converter, and a valve body in. It could be John woods, racer x, suncoast, bts, trans go, it doesn't make a difference.

Everybody tries to recommend the $2k+ turbo setup, the $1k hpop, the DI uppipes, $5k bts transmission etc...and honestly that stuff just isn't always needed. These boards seem full of guys who believe you have to be making 550+ to have a "build" thread, and you have to spend $20k to build your 550hp 13 second truck. A strong running reliable dd, that will go another 250k miles without worrying about it, is a **** load cooler...and you take the $17k you saved, and put it towards a real toy.

Perfectly said. I think you and I would get along just fine, where you located? (doesn't show on Tapatalk)

Jason

Reaction score
Waco area.

And thanks, I'm not knocking big power builds, but not everybody wants the same thing. These builds are getting so cookie cutter these days it's ridiculous.

juniort444e

Reaction score

I can agree with some of that, mostly the first paragraph, but as far as the second one goes, i dont think it costs that much for 550+.

I have roughly less than $7k into mine. Very rough figure, but all those performance parts are brand new and should get a good bit more then 550. The transmission is a must in my opinion. Even my truck in stock form was puking transmissions. So having a built one that you will never have to worry about is a great, im still waiting for that day tho.

Jason

Reaction score
4duggan - sadly, I'm in the exact same boat as you are...but peace of mind is a good thing.

Junior - I know what you're saying, but all trucks are different. Mine made it to 250k miles ofheavy towing, big tires, and 3/4's of it's life tuned, and it just blew the reverse boost valve out, outside of that, the transmission did what it was supposed to. I don't think a fully built transmission is necessary for 350rwhp.

My point in the second post is that everybody says "go atleast a 250/200...they're the same price as xxx/xxx injectors, so it's a no brainer!" well, not everybody sees the point in a big injector tuned back, when they have no desire to go any bigger down the road. A t4 mount from irate has been the newthing everybody throws out as a must have...$1350 for a mount, another $1k plus for a turbo to support those massive injectors....now everybody says "you gotta use the stealth pump, everything else is sub par"..which I guess is why they had that run of broken pumps and issues, and they stopped building til they could rectify the issues. Makes sense to me.

What I'm getting at, is that some people want just a little more kick in the ass, with no side effects...and a step up to stage 1's, van turbo, and a t500 is a solid bump up to the next level. He will have a solid 350-375rw setup, more than enough oil, and enough air to keep temps in check. And saved a couple thousand to put towards a tranny issue that may arise, or may not.

Reaction score
Hell fire, if I had my parents credit card I would have all the latest and greatest stuff also. It's cool being the coolest kid in the high school parking lot. (Not directed at Tonka, I doubt he's using his mommies credit card from the sand box).

Like Jason is saying, you don't have to install the most expensive and latest and greatest toys to make some decent power, pull what ever you want and stay reliable.

Latest posts

Members online