thinking about getting a 6.4

steele86

Reaction score
I have 03 SD with the 7.3 I'm thinking about trading in for newer truck . Would it be worth it and what should I look for? Thanks guys

co04cobra

Reaction score
Start a savings account to keep it running.LOL

They are a lot of fun when they run right and real expensive when they don't.

TyCorr

Reaction score
That's pretty much anything though LOL LOL

My buddy has cried more owning a 6.4 than his 6l. He had an 05 cclb 6l and that ***ker was perfect...all white black lariat..he traded it on his 09 6.4 because of all the 6l horror stories.

His 6.4 must have been a turd because he had emissions equipment troubles right off the bat. Cracked pistons on a stock truck. Egr issues. It was in the damn shop most of the second year he owned it. Finally tuned it to.get rid of the emissions crap. Trans crapped out. Lost his hp charger. It was draining him. He traded it in and left it at the dealership and waited for his 6.7 to.come out.

My dads shop traded in their 7.3s to update the fleet to 6.4s because the 7.3s were getting up in mileage. They dumped the whole fleet with in a year and a half due to dismal fuel usage, downtime, and one truck cooked the paint off the pass side bed when the truck was in regen...

They ran gassers for two years and a few oddball used.diesels and waited for the 6.7s.

I love the 6.4s but ive been warned by too many people to stay away unless you're ready for the repair costs.

co04cobra

Reaction score
That's pretty much anything though LOL LOL

No, 6.0s and 7.3s don't take out blocks too often, and if it does happen complete engines don't start at 7K+.

Everyone thought 6.0s were expensive to fix, until the 6.4 came along.

Actually CR in general is expensive to fix.

ckrueg

Reaction score
No, 6.0s and 7.3s don't take out blocks too often, and if it does happen complete engines don't start at 7K+.

Everyone thought 6.0s were expensive to fix, until the 6.4 came along.

Actually CR in general is expensive to fix.
I guess that's the cost of having all the high tech parts on these engines, like vgt compounds, hpcr, and all the sensors.

steele86

Reaction score
True I'll re think this. thank guys for talking since in to me. There is nothing wrong my 03 just like the look of the 07 and newer trucks

02bigstrokin

Reaction score
I would never buy another 6.4. Yeah they do run great tunes and deleted but it's not worth the rest of the nightmares that come with them. When the junk k16 pump decides to eat itself and trash the injectors, melting pistons, etc . had another one in the shop this morning knocking dead on cylinders 7 and 8. 6.0's may give some pesky problems but when 6.4's go down, they go down hard. I would take a 6.0 any day over 6.4 for long term investment. That's my opinion though. I know many don't agree. Most of it can be traced back to poor maintenance honestly but i guess I just see too many of them bite the dust.

BigBluediesel08

Reaction score
You only read horror stories online, but there's a bunch of 6.4s running strong out there. Mine has been great! Wanted to upgrade to a 6.7, but they've have gotten expensive. Lol still thinking about it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.