Ticking 6.0l

reilly8282

Reaction score
Maybe 2000 miles ago studded the truck. New gaskets, heads shaved .08, new oil cooler, new ford pushrods and just installed some low mileage injectors.

I have a tick when warm. No codes, no misfires, idles fine, drives fine. Tick seems to be coming from passenger side upper valve cover. You can only hear it in the cab with the windows up. Under the hood sounds normal for a 6.0l, even outside the truck sounds normal.

When I get into some boost it normally would get quiet and you loose the injector chatter all you could hear was the exhaust. Now I loose the injector solenoid chatter and get a tick, sounds like an exhaust leak on a normal gasoline engine. I can't find any leaks around the manifolds. To me it sounds like a rocker, lifter noise but I don't have other issues associated.

Here is a iphone video, not great quality but you can hear it.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AZuy4MwwtCU

Any thoughts? Thanks.

reilly8282

Reaction score
Little bit more information, 87,000 miles t-6. Also noise seems to follow injectors. As in I can get under the boost and make the injectors chatter and speed the tick up with injector noise rather than engine RPM's.

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
might be time to have the injectors looked at. sounds like some noisy spool valves. actually, can you 6.0 guys do a buzz test? that would probably tell you if its an injector or not.

Last edited:

reilly8282

Reaction score
Ya I can buzz test. Anyone familiar with cam lobe/lifter failures? Would there be anymore signs? Exhaust would but popping back through the intake I would imagine and intake would surely throw a contribution code. When I had the valve covers off last all rockers were traveling in what seemed to be normal rise and fall without measuring. Possible a slightly bent pushrod?

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
my buddy tore his motor down for a complte rebuild, had 2 smoked lobes. smokeddddd. never made a sound and probably wouldnt have known besides the fact it had no balls

reilly8282

Reaction score
Mine has balls, runs great... Just ticking.. I have read about the tensioner making some noises when the bearing goes bad, also reAd the stc fitting can tap the hpo pump housing. Just trying to narrow it down and see if anyone has came across something similar.

reilly8282

Reaction score
Just a little update, I went ahead and pulled the valve cover off and ran the truck, just to check for blow buy or an audible pop from the intake side. When I pulled the valve cover off, I found nothing, no cylinders acting any different than the rest while running with the valve cover off.

Then I went ahead and pulled the oil rail off. I checked the oil rail nipples and they were all pretty tight, it took a lot to move them around so I assume everything was normal and no oil was making it past the actually oring. I checked all the bridges and rockers for anything odd and didn't find a single thing abnormal acting, all plastic rocker arm guides were intact and in place. We turned the motor over a good 20 seconds and I watched every rocker go through its cycle and without actually measuring actual lift they all seemed normal.

Here is the odd part, I put everything back together and cranked it up and the noise was gone. I drove the truck for three days without a tick whatsoever. Then the third day when the truck got up to temp I could hear the tick and everyday since then it has gotten audibly worse. I am lost! I have the new style two piece stand pipes, would it be possible that the spring/valve on the drivers side head is acting funny, or not opening all the way? I am reading 27-30 IPR% and about 650-700 ICP readings at warm idle. Wide open I can read 3500+ icp pressures on a stock tune. But could a faulty valve standpipe valve still cause the ICP to read high while starving the drivers side injectors from full oil pressure? Any help appreciated, I cant figure this one out.

I still have my old style single piece standpipes, I am tempted to swap them out just to see if it makes a difference.

reilly8282

Reaction score
On the way home this evening, I decided to unplug the icp sensor and drive it home. Although it made more of a lope/knock, it did not tick. I know it's somehow oil related. Anyone know exactly what physically goes on with oil pressures when it has no icp logic?

reilly8282

Reaction score
Yes, holds +60ish. Installed a blue spring when I did studs and I have a manual gauge tester. I haven't checked in a month or so, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try again just to see.

jban126_f350

Reaction score
I just installed 190/100 remaned injectors in my 06 and I noticed and ticking noise from the passenger side. Something I did wrong? I know I torqued them correctly. I double and triple checked. I thought maybe once the idle smoothed out it would stop but it didn't

Latest posts

Members online