Tightened steering box

johndeerezach

Reaction score
So I went 1/2 turn clockwise with the Allen and seems to have helped quite a bit. was wondering how many turns can u tighten these?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
So I went 1/2 turn clockwise with the Allen and seems to have helped quite a bit. was wondering how many turns can u tighten these?
as long as it doesn't have the roll over from center feel then you can go a lil at a time.. I wouldnt turn more then an 1/8-1/4 at a time cuz once you tighten it, you're not supposed to back it off.. no idea why but that's what I was told.

johndeerezach

Reaction score
Yea I've read that somewere on here. I will probably tighten more tomorrow but I'll be getting a new box in the near future anyways

Jomax

Reaction score
It will only last a small amount of time... I've heard of guys tightening them too much and loosing steering. You pretty much strip the steering box where you can't steer left or right.... to me, its just not worth messing with. Just buy a redhead and be done.

I also installed a Benchworks steering box on my other truck, and I'm pretty happy with it. Paid $210, it's not as good as the redhead on the dually, but for about half the price, it's way better then a napa or ford box.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JLDickmon

Reaction score
It will only last a small amount of time... I've heard of guys tightening them too much and loosing steering. You pretty much strip the steering box where you can't steer left or right.... to me, its just not worth messing with. Just buy a redhead and be done.

I also installed a Benchworks steering box on my other truck, and I'm pretty happy with it. Paid $210, it's not as good as the redhead on the dually, but for about half the price, it's way better then a napa or ford box.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

No.
You can get it so tight it won't go over center, but unless you INTENTIONALLY over ream it, you won't bust it.

But by the time it's needs adjustment, it's got the gears worn to the point all you are doing is jamming two worn parts together..

I think what guys do is keep jamming, and jamming, and jamming together untill they get it so tight it won't inside a battleship..

johndeerezach

Reaction score
Yea I figured it was on its way out. Only did it to by me done time so I can get the new one. Since I drive it almost every day. Jomax were did u get the benchworks one? They have a website

Latest posts

Members online