Time for a clutch, what does everyone prefer?

patricku47

Reaction score
Well, on my way to work this morning my clutch decided to tell me it's tired of doing its job. What clutch does everyone seem to like the most? The truck is a daily driver that spends most of its time in bumper to bumper traffic through Houston and tow my Bronco on the weekend. The truck is just tuned for now, but there is a pretty good chance it will get 175/30 injectors and a turbo to match in the future, so I would like to keep that in mind. What do y'all recommend and who has the best pricing on them?

04stroker

Reaction score
We have had great success with South Bend have used several over the years we are dealers for them if you are looking for somewhere to buy one. Do you know if you are looking to go dual disk or stay single disk?

patricku47

Reaction score
We have had great success with South Bend have used several over the years we are dealers for them if you are looking for somewhere to buy one. Do you know if you are looking to go dual disk or stay single disk?

Honestly, I am not sure what I am looking for. This is my first go around with a manual transmission, so I am pretty uneducated as far as clutches go. I am looking for something that will hold the power, but with as much as I stay in traffic I would like the pedal to stay pretty light if possible. The truck is mainly a DD/haul vehicle, but it may make a few passes down the track as well. What are the advantages/disadvantages to a single and a dual disc?

04stroker

Reaction score
Dual disk is going to be more "grabby" than the single disk and have a heavier peddle but will hold much more power. The single disk is overall better for driveabilty but there is only so much power a single disk can hold which maxes out around 450-475 horsepower. So pretty much anything more than a tune is going to make even a upgraded single disk not live super long. The street dual disk that Southbend offers though is actually very driveable in my opinion and the peddle is not bad at all. That is the route I would personally go if I was you.

patricku47

Reaction score
Dual disk is going to be more "grabby" than the single disk and have a heavier peddle but will hold much more power. The single disk is overall better for driveabilty but there is only so much power a single disk can hold which maxes out around 450-475 horsepower. So pretty much anything more than a tune is going to make even a upgraded single disk not live super long. The street dual disk that Southbend offers though is actually very driveable in my opinion and the peddle is not bad at all. That is the route I would personally go if I was you.

Could you PM me pricing on both the street DD and the single disc please?

william_ace

Reaction score
I have the Southbend street dual disk with 205/100s and a 68mm turbo. The clutch isn't that bad to drive with. If you're in traffic most of the time, it might get a little tiring, but you'll get used to it. I dyno'd 610/1000 and it never slipped. So far so good.

djberg

Reaction score
10,000% south bend street dual disk, reasons being, pedal feel is great. Just threw some 175/30's on it while having 40k on it now and still holds perfectly, tires well that's a different story all together. I haul with mine for a living and the clutch doesn't care. And last and the best part once you have the flywheel (the most expensive part) you can swap out to different pressure plates, and material combos.

Go with the dual disk and never look back.

Latest posts

Members online