Time for brakes and rotors

njjeep

Reaction score
My truck sat all winter first day out front left lock up. The seals in the caliper are probably smoked now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ja_cain

Reaction score
Different brake fluids take up moisture at different rates. The key is not letting it sit and flushing as much as possible especially if using a subpar fluid. Analogous to the ethanol in gas debacle.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I use peak synthetic and it didnt help over regular brake fluid.
All brake fluids these days should be synthetic and glycol based except Dot 5 which is silicone based. You can't mix Dot 5 with Dot 3, 4 or 5.1. The glycol based ones are hygroscopic, meaning they readily take up/absorb water. Dot 5 does it at a much slower rate but not sure on running it in our system since you can't mix and there could be other materials not compatible, plus it's probably a bad thing that doesn't disperse the moisture. This could probably lead to faster corosion rates in spots where it pools. I think the key is to flush on a regular basis and to always use fresh fluid from an unopened container. As soon as the seal is broken then it will start taking up water. They used to sell a fluid with dye in it so flushing was easy but I think it's not available anymore. You could just switch between the blue and amber stuff every time.

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
The peak stuff was gold. The old crap was more greenish. But burnt. I flushed untili had it at all four corners. But my situation was different as all the lines got replaced too. I gravity bleed my brakes all the time so I shouldnt have this much trouble.

ja_cain

Reaction score
The peak stuff was gold. The old crap was more greenish. But burnt. I flushed untili had it at all four corners. But my situation was different as all the lines got replaced too. I gravity bleed my brakes all the time so I shouldnt have this much trouble.

That's the nice thing about this setup, in that you can just gravity bleed and just keep adding fluid until its all swapped out. The statement about running the pads all the way down has merit I think. A lot more piston being cantilevered out there greatly increasing the stress on it. Not to mention more of it is exposed to the elements.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.