Timing Discussion

JD3020

Reaction score
Bumping this back up if anybody has some more/new info to contribute. I got super busy with work and put tuning on hold, but now that its dirt drag season i need to start getting a race tune worked out. Current goal is cutting down smoke at launch so i can run in a stock turbo class which requires a puff at launch, and then clean up to a haze. Currently is a cloud then cleans up after a couple seconds, just no ass below about 2100rpm's.

Gotta love a weak HPOP and horrible up-pipes with a POS stock turbo i got for $50 out of a forest fire truck. LOL I do have a good 17* pump sitting here to put on, but with it being 90* and a ton of humidity IDK when i'll feel like putting it on.

You can see how it typically runs when i'm pushing it, launched as hard as i could and was WOT till the end. You can hear when it hit 3rd gear with the converter locked and started lugging, thats when i grabbed 2nd and brought RPM's back up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pWh8K8Azes

IdahoF350

Reaction score
I'll preface by clearly stating that I'm tuning with SCT Advantage III dealer software, not Minotaur, that I've been a dealer for SCT since 2004, and that I've been tuning Ford gas vehicles since the late '90s and diesels since 2005.

As part of my tuning process, I started with SCT's provided files for the 7.3. They offer 40hp, 85hp, 90hp, and 110hp files with various torque output ratings as starting points for novice tuners. What I found was that the 40hp file was blah. The 85hp file was meh. The 90hp file shifted good and picked up about 1.5mpg the way I drive over the stock file but would trip ICP and EBP/wastegate codes under throttle on any grade requiring 1/2 throttle longer than 3-4 seconds, and the 110hp file popped the same codes as the 90hp tune, just faster.

I'm not one to be defeated so easily and just start throwing parts at the problems, so I took a step back, went away from the "canned" files and started over with an in depth comparison to a 2003 factory tune, the thought being that would be the most refined stock tuning. The first thing I did was to update every comparable parameter of my E99 tune to 2003 spec, which took some doing because in the span of five years the table names, and the normalizers names changed here and there. The later ICP tables are set up differently than the E99, higher across the board. As a result of the higher commanded table I increased the maximum allowable duty cycle scalar for the IPR, raising it to 75%, giving the IPR the additional range to maintain HPO pressure with the higher commanded ICP. Then I remapped the pedal map using the same pedal mapping I used to run on my 6.0L tow tune.

I took the truck out, drove it, and it was solidly 50-60hp and probably 80-100tq better than the sluggish stock E99 tune. Everything about the new file was better, cleaner, literally no cloud of smoke at take off, but a light haze was there, and it would pass a snap test no problem. I did use the best of the transmission tuning from SCT as a starting point, so the final step was ironing out the transmission side of the tune, and I ended up with a superb tune that tows fantastic.

Not content with just one file and a moderate power level, I also built a performance file. There is a fair amount done to the file to get to where it's at now, which is right at 140-150hp over stock based on the acceleration tests I've run vs stock tuning. I'm also still running the stock 15° pump, AB codes, and 4-bolt E99 turbo.

To your point of SOI inquiries, I'm running 20° Above 3000rpm WOT. Idle is about 10° and the map is one big gentle curve, with a bit of a dish to it at 1/3-1/2 throttle between 1200-1800rpm to light the turbo. The timing goes up smoothly with RPM and fuel demand. I'll try and post a graph tomorrow, as I don't have one handy on my phone.

Sent by my right thumb!

TARM

Reaction score
but would trip ICP and EBP/wastegate codes under throttle on any grade requiring 1/2 throttle longer than 3-4 seconds, and the 110hp file popped the same codes as the 90hp tune, just faster.

I bet you on top of the ICP table it was further calling for something crazy such as 6 ms for PW even though they are empty long before that. Take into account the SD ones were split shots and its sure not helping the oil volume use of the HPOP. Not to mention bottom out the injectors by emptying them and more is not doing them any favors in terms of wear-n-tear.

Last edited:

IdahoF350

Reaction score
I bet you on top of the ICP table it was further calling for something crazy such as 6 ms for PW even though they are empty long before that. Take into account the SD ones were split shots and its sure not helping the oil volume use of the HPOP. Not to mention bottom out the injectors by emptying them and more is not doing them any favors in terms of wear-n-tear.

The current tunes don't suffer the same issues as the SCT developed tunes. SCT had the fuel tables maxed out, and a ton of timing. That's not my style, so I'm running a vastly different approach. I've got to figure out getting some pictures of my tables up here.

Sent by my right thumb!

TARM

Reaction score
Oh I know or at least assumed that. I was just pointing out the typical issue boxed tunes have and even some of the old tunes by some tuners even had PW of up to 6+ ms just a few years ago for stock injectors. It was clear indications that while the some popular tuners may have had a good grasp of the software that was not the case understanding the hardware capabilities which lead to a number of large issues much worse than ICP codes.

Also I think there have been a couple tuning threads in the past that should have some very good info for you if you look and do a search. I can try to find them if I have time. Also a number of good info on PH forums which is basically a tuning forum.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online