Tire recommendations

zporta

Reaction score
Its about time to scrap the factory tires and am in search of a good replacement set. Looking for a 35x12.50x20 or 285/65r20. I have a 2014 F250 Lariat 4x4 with 4" rear blocks and snowplow prep springs

I don't really want a mud terrain that will kill my MPG due to its weight. But would like an aggressive A/t tire since i work construction and am constantly driving in the dirt/snow/ice.

Ive was between the 285/65r20 Nitto Terra Grappler G2 and 35x12.50r20 Toyo Open Country a/t2. The Nittos are cheaper by a few hundred so i was leaning that direction.

Then i came across a few reviews for the Cooper St Maxx. A lot of people seem to rave about these and they have a great price point. My only concern would be the weight.

looking for suggestions, opinions, reviews

Radioflyer

Reaction score
Do you do much driving in the snow? If so, check out the new Nitto Exo Grappler. We just put a set on Rob's LML and they're awesome.

97f350stroker

Reaction score
I know you said your not looking at Mt's but I've been running the Mastercraft Mxt for a while and have no complaints. Especially like the price tag.

jbaal

Reaction score
I've had the st maxx on my '99 reg cab in35x12.50x20, for about 10,000 miles now, and they have been awsome. Verry little road noise, and they are wearing great even with bad shocks and bad alighnment. They felt a little squirmy at first but that went away quick.

Koda22

Reaction score
Out of those three, I'd go with the coopers.....but one to check might be the duratracs.....kinda a cross between and a/t and a m/t....lots of people seem to like them....but once you go to a m/t hard to go back to an a/t just cause of the looks....

zporta

Reaction score
I know you said your not looking at Mt's but I've been running the Mastercraft Mxt for a while and have no complaints. Especially like the price tag.

How noisy are they? Pretty aggressive looking tread pattern. They are lighter hen the Cooper St maxx

97f350stroker

Reaction score
They aren't bad at all, I was actually pretty surprised when I hit the highway after I had them put on. Keep in mind I'm in a reg cab xl 7.3 so there's other factors there that drown out the noise lol. The fella at the tire shop said he sees the most miles out the general grabbers but I wasn't looking to spend that much. This is my second set of Mastercrafts and I'll keep buying them.

jbaal

Reaction score
If I was gonna get another mud terrain it would be the mastercrafts. I think I read on hear that they are made by cooper, but I could be wrong.

ckrueg

Reaction score
I got the 295 65 r20 toyo at2 extreme. So far there great in the snow. I know it's a different size but it's close to what you want. I got a 2010 with the snow plow springs and no rubbing. I got 10k miles and they have very little wear. There also only 7 lbs heavier than stock size (275 65 r20).

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

PDT1081

Reaction score
If I was gonna get another mud terrain it would be the mastercrafts. I think I read on hear that they are made by cooper, but I could be wrong.

Most, if not all, Mastercrafts have a corresponding Cooper. They come off the same line, just have a different name on the sidewall.

bhudson

Reaction score
Out of those three, I'd go with the coopers.....but one to check might be the duratracs.....kinda a cross between and a/t and a m/t....lots of people seem to like them....but once you go to a m/t hard to go back to an a/t just cause of the looks....
True. The m/t looks better to me anyway

Stokt

Reaction score
Another vote for the ST Maxx. I have about 10,000 on my 35x12.50s and I'm really happy with them. They are quiet for what they are and seem to be wearing well. Price is good too.

Wizbangdoodle

Reaction score
I have been running Coopers since I bought my truck new (April '07). Never had a single problem and I always get the 60k miles out of them they are rated for, and I tow a very heavy 5th wheel. Now running the Mastercraft since my tire store said they are the same casing and the old model Coopers were not made any more.

zporta

Reaction score
Ok, so seems like I'm now leaning toward the ST maxx. Now would a 35x12.50 fit w/o rubbing on a factory 20" rim?

I'm also looking at a 20x9 +18mm wheel. Any chance of those rubbing? I don't mind taking the bumper bracket off, more worried about the radius arm.

Stokt

Reaction score
You'll be good with the factory 20" wheels. That's what I'm running and I don't get any contact anywhere. I can't say for sure on the +18 offset, but I'd guess you'd at least have to trim the bumper bracket.

Last edited: