Tire rotation on Nitto Trail M/T

Stangr8cr

Reaction score
How are y'all rotating your tires? I've always done straight front to back but this last time rotating and cleaning the wheels, I crossed to the fronts when moving them back and they're a quite a bit louder than before. Any chance of hurting anything tire wise by doing this or will they even out after some miles? Only driven about 10 miles with the boat in tow so I haven't gone far if this is not optimal. Thanks fellas!!

Keith

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
you are just fine!!
always, and its the correct way, take the front tires and cross them to the back. take rear tires and move them straight forward... you will get many more miles out of them and it keeps them squared off and not chopped.. yes they are louder for a lil while due to them rotating backwards from what they are used to.. or do a smokey burnout and they will get quieter..

live life full throttle

Stangr8cr

Reaction score
Funny you said that, I told the wife yesterday on the way to the lake that a burnout would probably help!! Lol. She didn't seem too amused by that. I'll be racing in Bristol in a couple weeks so I wanted to make sure the tires would be ok. And the Thunderbird does WAY better burn outs!! Goes a lil faster too!

Keith

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Funny you said that, I told the wife yesterday on the way to the lake that a burnout would probably help!! Lol. She didn't seem too amused by that. I'll be racing in Bristol in a couple weeks so I wanted to make sure the tires would be ok. And the Thunderbird does WAY better burn outs!! Goes a lil faster too!

Keith
lol.. backwards burnout works quickly too..

live life full throttle

sootie

Reaction score
W/ modern radial tires you should go front to back only, no crossing. Tires 'wind' themselves with use and crossing 'unwinds' them.

that was true with bias ply tires...no problems cross rotating radials for the last 10+ years in our fleet :shrug:

dsmracing1

Reaction score
I've also recently been told that to avoid cupping or having the tips of the tread stick up on one side or the other to do an all 4 corner rotate. To explain a little more what I'm saying is basically you run your hand on the tread one way and its smooth and the other way its got edge's on the tread. A friend of mine who's been in the tire industry for 10 years now basically said to rotate this way.

FR to RL
RL to FR
FL to RR
RR to FL

Another reasoning behind this was basically he was saying that MT's can become out of round and cause a shimmy so this tends to keep them lasting longer and running smoother.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
the big three all say cross the front to the rear and move rears straight ahead... keeps them squared off and not cupped. been doing it that way with every single vehicle i have owned and with whatever tires i ran... i also do 5k rotations..

live life full throttle

hunter_.b

Reaction score
25cacb65c4a1b831001456e7175f7154.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.