To stack, or not to stack??

UpstateDieselGuy

Reaction score
Here's my take. I don't care for them on most pickups. There are some times where they are ok, but that is the exception, not the rule. The major turn off for me is when I look at a truck and there are stacks and worse yet, they are gone and there is a huge hole in the bed. To me it is an added expense of getting the bed fixed so I can use it as a truck.

Chris

Reaction score
i vote STACK IT! but thats me i personally love the sound of a single stack exhaust on my 6.4 with the rear window closed its really not that loud, my 12v with a 5in exhaust was lounder than my 4 in to 7in stack, and my 03. 6 leaker was dual 7in stacks, and my 99 was dual 7in stacks, and i love the sound of the 6.4 over either of the previous trucks ive owned
003-2.jpg

007-2.jpg

and if you want i can try to get some sound clips for you also.

Last edited:

Strokin6.4

Reaction score
Yeah man if you can get a sound clip of it inside and out of idle and down the road driving normal like from a take off. And if you want do a wide open throttle roll on would be sweeeet!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Daryl@TDP

Reaction score
You asked...so sorry if I offend anyone.
Stacks are dumb as hell on any dd. The only trucks that stack(s) belong on are dedicated track or sled trucks. PERIOD, no exceptions!

I agree with this totally. But at the same time to each to his own. I do see alot of trucks and think to myself "Damn, they ruined it with stack(s)."

Reaction score
yeah ill try to get some today for ya, the outside wont be as good as it should be because its just a normal camera and not my gopro

Mike@MPD

Reaction score
I vote stack, mine is alot louder than a stock 6.4 and ive driven it to ky and back with no headaches or anything, so what, my beds dirty but i dont mind it, the rear window doesnt get that bad, and anyways a tuned truck doesnt even smoke that much, do what you want, i think it would look great with a stack
421043_10150736382141468_612571467_11541235_2144592998_n.jpg

CAT35niner

Reaction score
I vote stack, mine is alot louder than a stock 6.4 and ive driven it to ky and back with no headaches or anything, so what, my beds dirty but i dont mind it, the rear window doesnt get that bad, and anyways a tuned truck doesnt even smoke that much, do what you want, i think it would look great with a stack
421043_10150736382141468_612571467_11541235_2144592998_n.jpg

Mike ur truck looks awesome. I always loved the way it looked. Especially with the black stack. Im still trying to get used to mine without stacks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

IdahoF350

Reaction score
To like or dislike stacks is purely subjective as stated above. How you install them and how your truck is setup to appear make a tremendous difference in if they "fit" the look o the truck or not. How your truck is modified and single or dual stacks will also make a huge difference in the sound produced.

I run dual 5" flat top stacks off a 5" T-pipe I built myself. Under the truck I run a 3.5" down pipe into the cat and 4" to the T-pipe for now. I also have a cat delete pipe if I choose to make some noise.

Granted, I'm not running a 6.4, and there will be some distinct sound differences due to the injection system and turbo differences, 6.0s can be obnoxiously loud straight piped and tuned. I find that with my truck running stock or mild tuning, straight piped it sounds like a healthy big block from days long gone.

I tow with my stacks too. I have an 11,000 pound 30 foot 5th wheel. Last year we drove all the way from SoCal to Minot ND, then to SD, WY, MT, ID, WA, OR, and finally back home. Almost 7k on that trip alone and over 10k in travel last year total. Noise is not an issue in the cab. Soot is a minor issue that is easily remedied with soap and water and a car wash brush on both the truck and the trailer.

Here's my final thoughts. I wouldn't do a 7" stack on a short bed. You don't have much bed left afterwards, a long bed is another deal completely. Also, go at least cab height or just slightly higher to avoid sooting up the back of the cab and the bed.

It's your truck, do with it what makes YOU happy. That's why I did mine.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
I have had stacks in the past. Back when it was a cool thing. There might have been one or two trucks in the area with stacks at the time. Now I can't drive to get an ice cream without seeing someone with stacks. Can't stand them anymore.

IMO on a 6.4. It just screams look at me EPA...

I have had every combo of exhaust exits and sizes I think you can have on a 6.4 other than a stack or muffler. I think the best sounding, loudest set up is what I have now. Loud When your on the throttle but reasonable quite with the Convertor locks and your towing down the highway. 4"dp, 5" the rest of the way, turned down after the rear axle, 5-6" tip facing the ground. You can get the same thing by cutting almost all the aftermarket exhaust after the axle and moving your tip back. If you don't like it. Grab a flat band clamp and put it back the way it was.

And btw. The only set up I never get any soot on any paint or wheels.

Strokin6.4

Reaction score
Got a pic of your set up dumping towards the ground?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Kind

Reaction score
Stacks are gay.

Sent from my mind using ESP.

No where near as gay as that avatar is on a forum populate by guys lol. But then again no one would expect any less from ya lol.

Sent from beside you

SevenThree

Reaction score
No where near as gay as that avatar is on a forum populate by guys lol. But then again no one would expect any less from ya lol.

Sent from beside you

I don't complain about the half naked girls y'all can deal with socks shoved in men's drawers, lol.

Sent from my mind using ESP.

powersmokin64

Reaction score
I have had mine for two years and would do it over again. 4in mbrp into 6in mitre cut i love the sound and the look just my .02 but opinion are like a$$holes everybody has one

Latest posts

Members online