To wastegate or not to wastegate...

White_monster

Reaction score
Haha. Talk about hitting the nail on the head. Also while towing you may not see the high pressures that you do on the track but you are sustaining high pressures for extended periods of time. That seems like a bad idea to me.

Shipmate

Reaction score
While towing what are you seeing for back pressure? While towing what do you want for back pressure? Most guys with wastegates are attempting to set them to open up at 67psi of Drive pressure (IRC). If you never see 67 psi of Drive pressure while towing then I would say you will never need one. I understand that you will see higher drive pressure while towing but you are unable to bring it down unless you want to set the wastgate to a lower pressure to open up. So your Damned if you do and Damned if you don't.

BFT

Reaction score
While towing what are you seeing for back pressure? While towing what do you want for back pressure? Most guys with wastegates are attempting to set them to open up at 67psi of Drive pressure (IRC). If you never see 67 psi of Drive pressure while towing then I would say you will never need one. I understand that you will see higher drive pressure while towing but you are unable to bring it down unless you want to set the wastgate to a lower pressure to open up. So your Damned if you do and Damned if you don't.

thats what i see for BP now (67ish) with the 210TP. i have towed with the 310 & 275 and have seen 55+ psi and my BP will hit 72 before it drops to 70, this is at WOT.

Shipmate

Reaction score
thats what i see for BP now (67ish) with the 210TP. i have towed with the 310 & 275 and have seen 55+ psi and my BP will hit 72 before it drops to 70, this is at WOT.
Got it. But am I on the right track or am I way off on what I said? I mean a wastegate is a tool to be used to divert exhaust gases from the turbo to keep it at a X amount of boost pressure. Now we are taking it and making it divert exhaust gases once again to make X amount of Drive pressure. The wastegate controller is not setup to be a progressive controller. IE: if Drive pressure is at 55 psi open wastegate 5% if drive pressure gets to 65psi open wastegate 55% and so on.
That would be the best setup correct??

BFT

Reaction score
yes, that is the idea of it. start from the bottom and work your way up.

i based my WG off of the 310 tune, which i know the tow tune will never exceed that. for those that wont ever run the larger tunes...i would say they would be safe with a EGR cooler delete.
i cant say anything about other tunes that i have or other tuners, being that the tow tunes most likely have safety parameters to keep the heat down.

ill let you guys know this...when first dialing in my WG, it towed like sh!t! seemed to not have the bottom end power because i had it so close to a 1:1 ratio. (manual controller had 1 turn)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.