Tone ring on crankshaft

jwfrauts

Reaction score
I posted awhile back of my truck smoking and over fueling at idle. I just replaced the 4th set of injectors yesterday morning and the truck is doing the same thing no matter what tune I run in it. At first it would run on a race tune but not any other but now nothing. If I play with it I can get the engine to warm up and it runs around 700 to 1000 at 60 mph. I can nail it from a 30 mph roll and it will clear up and white smoke the tires but as soon as I let off it starts white smoking again. A service manager at Ford tells me that the tone ring could have slipped and the engine is no longer in time. Is this possible? I have tried a few different ficms on the truck but haven't tried another ecm. I am going to borrow one tomorrow and try it. Is there anyway for the engine to be out of time?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
the balloon test is faulty.. ive never had good luck with it... It what condition are the white and black o-rings on the injectors after you pull them out?

To do a true air in fuel, via compression gases test. Remove the secondary fuel filter. key on until the fuel reaches up over the stand pipe. DC the starter wire thats located on passenger side firewall, its a squeeze and pull connector. send 12v down the line towards the starter and it will crank engine. watch the stand pipe for any bubble... if it bubbles, DC any of the two fuel feed lines that go to the head to narrow it down.

even though the sealing gaskets look good. when the tips gets gunked up, compression gases feed back through the tip and into the head, into the filter, everywhere... Never had good luck with aftermarket injectors. alot of them remind me of polished turds... I had one guy sware by them, well by his 3rd set in less than 2 years we convinced him to go to AP's.

With all these injectors you've ran through. I would also like to see a compression test

Last edited:

Spindrift

Reaction score
I had one guy sware by them, well by his 3rd set in less than 2 years we convinced him to go to AP's.

I'm happy with my APs as well. Do you use them exclusively? I don't think they're as good as an OEM rebuild, but AP has good quality control and you just can't beat the pricing.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
That's all we use. They are always on backorder so we do have some dipacos Incase. While ap is not perfect. They do fix their issues

Latest posts

Members online