Tonneau/Bed covers

dieselpips

Reaction score
Hey guys if this has been beaten already, I didn't find it, just point me in the right direction. So I'm looking at getting a cover and was looking for real world reviews on whats out there. Which ones seal well, do you guys prefer the hard, or soft roll back styles? Which have been found to be most practical in real world use? Any experiences would be a great help.
Thanks in advance

CMCx2012

Reaction score
I have found my Extang Encore cover to be an all-around good buy, except for the damn price! Soft covers tend to sag, rip, fade, etc. No cover is perfect but for those reasons I chose the hard cover over the soft. My truck had the retractable cover (? forgot brand)but the damn lid of the storage box it retracted into kept flying open and slamming into my rear window! The Fold-a-Cover was my second choice because of the good reviews but I went with the Extang and I like it. It is easily removable and it also locks with your factory truck key and opens from both the rear of the bed and in the front of the bed, and you can even order a drop-in storage box for the front of the bed.

You can see pics of the old setup and then one of the Extang.

Attachments

• IMG_2394.jpg
    IMG_2394.jpg
    728.4 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_3581.jpg
    IMG_3581.jpg
    999.9 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_3346.jpg
    IMG_3346.jpg
    588 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

lightning95

Reaction score
I'm running a fiberglass lid on my Lightning.
Pros; looks nice, locks and seals out water
Cons; chafes paint and is horrible if you have to carry anything big. It takes 2 people to remove and then you have to store it someplace safe so the neighbor kids don't play on it.
I've had soft covers on other trucks and they were great. Easy install, light and hold up good.

dieselpips

Reaction score
Cmcx2012 is the second pic a trifold you are using currently and the one you like?
Thanks lightning95. Do you recall which of the others you had and liked the best?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

CMCx2012

Reaction score
Yes it is Diesel. I have had ZERO issues with it shaking, loosening, denting, locking, sealing, and/or opening while cruising. Knock on wood :hammer:

Big difference in the two. I sure don't miss that Roll N' Lock cover flying open and scaring the HELL out of me! Lol, Here are a couple more pics of both.

Attachments

• IMG_3556.jpg
    IMG_3556.jpg
    871.9 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_4244.jpg
    IMG_4244.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 100
  • IMG_2365.jpg
    IMG_2365.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_2363.jpg
    IMG_2363.jpg
    995.6 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_2366.jpg
    IMG_2366.jpg
    829.6 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Reaction score
I always use hard trifolds. Either Bak G2 or Undercover Flex. These are my favorite because they can open completely and be driven with while open. They can be opened in increments if you don't want the whole thing open. They are simple to install. Keeps everything secure and dry. And the main thing i like is they are extremely low profile.

Jomax

Reaction score
Anyone use that velcro soft one? I,want a cover, but have a toolbox.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

fine69

Reaction score
I have an Extang Full Tilt on my truck. It seals perfect and so far has held up very well!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 88

dieselpips

Reaction score
Do all the hard trifold have the metal rails you install inside the bed? Not a big fan of that unless they pop out easy

Zaairman

Reaction score
Anyone use that velcro soft one? I,want a cover, but have a toolbox.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I have an Extang RT Toolbox model on my truck...

IMAG0771.jpg

Pros - easy to roll up. Fairly water proof. My velcro is worn on the edges, but in a heavy rain only a little water gets in. Replacement vinyl is about $100

Cons - There are still rails in the truck. The velcro in the rails wears out, I'm not sure if it is replaceable. I'm sure it can be, but it looks like a pain to do.

If I had to do it all over again, I am not sure if I would get a custom made tri fold (maybe from Extang or Advantage) or again go with a roll top. I like the tri folds better cause they can be removed totally in 30 seconds, but the vinyl will crack in the folds over time.

fordmansteven

Reaction score
I have a lund soft tri fold and it works good. It seals good enough to put my luggage in the bed and not get it wet. Also it is easy to remove if you have to haul something big (one person install and remove with 4 flip latches). Warranty says liftime on cover and frame. For the price I think it is a very good cover.

ford_muscle1

Reaction score
I've looked around for a cover that fits with a toolbox and can't find any options other than the Velcro ones which will wear out quickly for as much as I need to get in the bed.

lightning95

Reaction score
Cmcx2012 is the second pic a trifold you are using currently and the one you like?
Thanks lightning95. Do you recall which of the others you had and liked the best?

I had a extang with snaps on my old Lightning. It had 2 support bars in it and clamped on top of the bed.
The other soft one was on a Mazda and was a no name flush mount with a hook and loop system. Clean looking but didn't seal out all the water and would pool water if the truck sat.

BKopp

Reaction score
On my old truck I had a backflip and really liked it. I could fold all the way to the front of the bed. Snapped down and could lock the tailgate and it gave the illusion of security

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

CMCx2012

Reaction score
I wanted to do the Backflip at first but I was sold once a truck in the parking lot near our local Offroad shop had the Encore on his and I saw it up close.

The second (and very close) choice was the Fold A Cover Elite.

Latest posts

Members online