too chip right now or not to chip is the question

20007.3L

Reaction score
ok, so doing the body work now as you guys can see. That will be finished shortly! And also most of you know that my transmission is on its way out the door!

I want a chip for towing puposes only really. However i am faced with the dilema of considering a 5 speed swap in the fall! I want a chip ASAP for the summer because i tow a 8,000lb trailer regularly. Chip now and reburn for the 5 speed later? Or wait to doit it all at once?

CSIPSD

Reaction score
ok, so doing the body work now as you guys can see. That will be finished shortly! And also most of you know that my transmission is on its way out the door!

I want a chip for towing puposes only really. However i am faced with the dilema of considering a 5 speed swap in the fall! I want a chip ASAP for the summer because i tow a 8,000lb trailer regularly. Chip now and reburn for the 5 speed later? Or wait to doit it all at once?

5 speed or 6?

And why in Gods name would you swap a manual? Thats going backwards 3 steps...

Pick up a used superchips on CL or flebay and run that.

20007.3L

Reaction score
Every truck i have ownd minus my mud truck F150 and my 7.3 has been a standard. For the price of a new auto i would be saving about $1500 on a whole nother truck to line them up side by side and do the 5 speed swap!

CSIPSD

Reaction score
And your new super manual will not hold squat for power, is slow, cumbersome and generally just a POS to drive.

Its your truck, but I would not put a ZF5 in there if your going to do it.

Other then that, the Superchips is what I would do. You can pick them up for $100 or less...

bad12jr

Reaction score
5 spd is not going to be a direct swap. Different lengths pedals and all.

Sent from my x2 chillin in the middle of no where

20007.3L

Reaction score
5 spd is not going to be a direct swap. Different lengths pedals and all.

Sent from my x2 chillin in the middle of no where

yea dont remind me LOL

I am trying to find a rolling chassis SD with no motor and swap everything over! And measure up the drive shafts!

average

Reaction score
After being chipped my truck was a completely different animal, how folks drive stock 7.3's is beyond me LOL

Old OutLaw

Reaction score
yep, I agree with CIPSD...putting a 5 spd in it is just plain dumb....with a good auto, you can shift it like a manual, and when towing, you don't want to be clunking thru the gears with a standard trans.....

and yeah, they cost more, but when you get a good one in it, (BTS _ John Wood), you're DONE with trans problems, if you maintain it properly....the 5 spds are Weak, they will NOT take the power a properly built auto will, and the 6 spds are worse.

20007.3L

Reaction score
yep, I agree with CIPSD...putting a 5 spd in it is just plain dumb....with a good auto, you can shift it like a manual, and when towing, you don't want to be clunking thru the gears with a standard trans.....

and yeah, they cost more, but when you get a good one in it, (BTS _ John Wood), you're DONE with trans problems, if you maintain it properly....the 5 spds are Weak, they will NOT take the power a properly built auto will, and the 6 spds are worse.

I do agree, however i would be running basic tunes for towing with stock injectors and stock turbo. So HP output isnt really a problem for me.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
so you are gonna go through the hassle to change your trans out when you are only running a stock turbo with stock injectors and the good custom tunes you have ran suck? thats what im gathering... absolutely no problems with a good tow and DD tune for that trans and be able to tow what you want by only adding said tunes and a extra cooler up front.. just went through this with my brother.. same thing with him is that he has always had a standard trans... he is so worried about the auto... truck came with a edge tuner and felt like dogchit on shifts and was building heat rather quick with his 6000lb goose neck and 6500lb tractor on it... got rid of the edge junk, ordered NLTD tunes through BEANS and got stock, tow, dd, high idle, and no start, for $285 shipped to my door.. temps went down shifts are spot on, and best of all no smoke and more power then the junk edge.. dd tune is even better, no smoke and will blow the tires off from a standstill. couple days ago we added a extra cooler up front in series with the stock setup just to be safe...

zf6 are stout mofo's up to the 320ft mark but if used with any power over stock for extended periods of time, they will melt also... still need a better clutch to go along with the trans if adding any more power then stock...

live life full throttle

20007.3L

Reaction score
so you are gonna go through the hassle to change your trans out when you are only running a stock turbo with stock injectors and the good custom tunes you have ran suck? thats what im gathering... absolutely no problems with a good tow and DD tune for that trans and be able to tow what you want by only adding said tunes and a extra cooler up front.. just went through this with my brother.. same thing with him is that he has always had a standard trans... he is so worried about the auto... truck came with a edge tuner and felt like dogchit on shifts and was building heat rather quick with his 6000lb goose neck and 6500lb tractor on it... got rid of the edge junk, ordered NLTD tunes through BEANS and got stock, tow, dd, high idle, and no start, for $285 shipped to my door.. temps went down shifts are spot on, and best of all no smoke and more power then the junk edge.. dd tune is even better, no smoke and will blow the tires off from a standstill. couple days ago we added a extra cooler up front in series with the stock setup just to be safe...

zf6 are stout mofo's up to the 320ft mark but if used with any power over stock for extended periods of time, they will melt also... still need a better clutch to go along with the trans if adding any more power then stock...

live life full throttle

He put those tunes on a stock 4R100 or a BTS?

20007.3L

Reaction score
descisions descisions....................................? Now im at lost, with what you said makes total sence, and wanting it to be a standard so bad, idk now

Damn LOL

Layson

Reaction score
My friend has a manual in his truck. You should have seen the look on his face and wife's face when I put the pedal down to get out into traffic. LOL Those trannys just shift so dang fast compared to a manual.

You can just survive with a valve body, a good torque converter, and a 6.0 tranny cooler and your tranny will be happy for a bit.

I would just spend the 300 bucks on a chip with tunes on it and be done with it.

Latest posts

Members online