Too much clutch?

Buffalo444

Reaction score
I read from clutch companies that you only want a clutch rated at or slightly over your power level... They never really give any reason for that though...

What can you possibly harm and/or have problems with by getting a clutch rated too much higher than your HP level? To me it seems that any chance of it being too grabby would be eliminated by getting a dual or triple disk clutch. And most aftermarket clutches now claim to have a pedal as soft or ever SOFTER than stock, so it doesn't seem like it would be hard to slip the clutch even if rated higher. I just want to know what sort of truth there is in this and what of it is mularky.

This sounds like the same :bs: about if you get any injector bigger than stock you need a custom tuned chip or you will wash down the cylinder wall :blah:

I just don't want to buy a clutch rated for stock (where I'm at now) then have to turn around and buy a new clutch each time until I've doubled or tripled my HP. And I can clearly see why a clutch manufacturer would want you to do so. Any help here?

Betarocker

Reaction score
I run a Dual Disc clutch that is rated for much higher power than I have, and there aren't any issues with it. Actually suggested by SBC for towing.

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
Check out Valairinc.com they have some really nice clutches at really reasonable prices, the guys are really helpful on info and questions!

jdiesel_us

Reaction score
Pm me if you still have questions about clutches. I know I am new here but I have been aroung diesel pichups and clutches for years. Jason

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.