Top end tear down

lzam6285

Reaction score
Just so everyone knows, I did take the heads off and took them to a machine shop here in Jersey. The guy said they looked fine/ beautiful and needed no machining.

Since I bought the truck used I have no knowledge of how this truck was driven other than the holes in the bed from the fith wheel. I didn't want to do all this work, injector, studs,EGR delete and then pop a head gasket and have to tare it all apart again. So I'm waiting on the injectors to get here, they should be here buy the end of next week.

05wh250

Reaction score
I hate to tell you but that doesn't mean there flat. When I did mine the guy told me mine were the best he had ever seen, but he still milled them to make sure they were flat.

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
Lmao, then you sir were "simply wrong." The whole point behind the one at a time method is to keep your current head gasket in tact without disrupting it.

You think that removing head bolts, even one at a time, releasing clamping force on the head, doesn't disturb the gasket?

Vizsla

Reaction score
Lmao, then you sir were "simply wrong." The whole point behind the one at a time method is to keep your current head gasket in tact without disrupting it.

I feel we are derailing the ops thread, as none of this is applicable, so I will cease after this. When you pull one bolt to swap for a stud, you release a portion of the clamping force, and the gasket more than likely reacts to that. So even though I completely understand what you say, when you are done, it is using a one time part(head gasket) again. Comparing a 6.0 to another motor is pointless, they are not the same. In this thread you advise to stud one at a time to keep "seasoned head gaskets", and in another when someone needs to fix a rocker box gasket you say to replace the head gasket to perform the repair. See the irony? I certainly wish you the best of luck in all future endeavors, and hope you don't advise customers to do one at a time studs ever. Glad the op is making progress, and hope all goes well!

ghohouston

Reaction score
You think that removing head bolts, even one at a time, releasing clamping force on the head, doesn't disturb the gasket?

I am not saying that maybe a very, minute part of the gasket doesnt move,, but not enough to compromise the seal. but in the big picture, and once again, theres plenty of proof if you guys would take the time to research, that it doesnt hurt the gasket (s) one bit doing one at a time

ghohouston

Reaction score
I feel we are derailing the ops thread, as none of this is applicable, so I will cease after this. When you pull one bolt to swap for a stud, you release a portion of the clamping force, and the gasket more than likely reacts to that. So even though I completely understand what you say, when you are done, it is using a one time part(head gasket) again. Comparing a 6.0 to another motor is pointless, they are not the same. In this thread you advise to stud one at a time to keep "seasoned head gaskets", and in another when someone needs to fix a rocker box gasket you say to replace the head gasket to perform the repair. See the irony? I certainly wish you the best of luck in all future endeavors, and hope you don't advise customers to do one at a time studs ever. Glad the op is making progress, and hope all goes well!

Theres literally no way around pulling multiple head bolts/studs at once on a 6.0 to replace the rocker box gasket. totally different scenario. Do you even think before you speak?

Last edited:

ghohouston

Reaction score
i will be starting my own thread in awol about one at a time just for you guys. i want to see what the rest of psa has to say about all of our opinions.

Vizsla

Reaction score
Theres literally no way around pulling multiple head bolts/studs at once on a 6.0 to replace the rocker box gasket. totally different scenario. Do you even think before you speak?

No, I don't. You are right.

lzam6285

Reaction score
Today I hot my EGR cooler welded. Heck of a lot cheaper than a delete

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 44

webb06

Reaction score
As long as you have an sct tuner you won't get any egr flow codes. Otherwise you might get a check engine light from those codes

Latest posts

Members online