Torque Converter - Decisions Decisions

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Well with the addition of more air, the TC towing the pig of a trailer is not too happy. The truck has enough power to not downshift now over the grades, which means more stress on the lock up. The lock up is not acting right. It will slip and catch. Not a constant RPM slip.
I have been looking at the following and would like to know the differences and opinions on the options of lower stall and such. Listed in no particular order:
1. DPC
2. Precision (Had experience with gas engines with them, never a problem)
3. RCD
4. Suncoast

Truck is stock fuel with 59/73 turbos. Stock trans. I like towing on the innovative street tune, but have to slow some so the truck will downshift to keep the lock up from slipping. Truck is 90% towing the fiver grossing 28000+.
Alright boys and girls sell me on a TC.

By the way 59/73 turbos on the Xtreme Street makes this pig of the dually a rocket.

78f100

Reaction score
I have RCD and its been great. Iirc its a precision built for RCD, can't go wrong with any listed. I have a SC also it did good till I swapped it out when I built my engine.

webb06

Reaction score
RCD and precision are the same I'm pretty sure. I've ran the RCD version and had no trouble up to 700 hp. I recently sent it to precision to be restalled for a single and expect it to last once again.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I emailed DPC about the 13". Seams like it should have more clutch surface area.
Josh at RCD said my OD clutches are toast. I went out and beat on the truck harder than j ever have and the shifts is nice and firm. Lock up seems lazy though and the slip is 45 rpm range. Same slip if I am on it from 2nd up or get on it after it gets into high gear. Reverse doesn't lag into or out of gear or slip backing the pig of a trailer up a hill or onto blocks. Doesn't seem like OD clutches to me.
Xtreme street with these turbos will make the big ass sway at anything under about 20.

Sent from the bat phone near a drilling rig.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Hey Troy hit me up I can get you a good price on any of the ones you listed .

madman1234509

Reaction score
Put an end converter in my 08, works great , still running well with probably 30-40k miles on it. I have a dpc 12" in my current truck, 8-9k miles on it with no issues. I'd go with the rcd if you're looking for the extra low stall, if not go dpc

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Went out driving to test some more.
Does anyone know the TC slip without the TC locked? Mine is slipping in the 1100 range which seems pretty loose to me when the stock stall is only 1600. I am thinking that should be a max of 800 range, but could be wrong.
Also if I find the right spot in the throttle where the TC wont lock till high gear, which it never used to wait that long, it is not a solid lock feeling and just gradually locks.
All the shifts are firm till the 5-6 then that is hard to till because the TC is locking before or after and the what I am thinking the the lock up is making the shift feel funny. If I am in the right spot of the throttle where the TC doesnt lock till high gear the 5-6 does feel soft compared to the others but with 1100 slip of the TC, its eating the shift up.

I am leaning towards the DPC 13" unless they talk me out of it or someone has a good reason why one is better than DPC.

sootie

Reaction score
i run the rcd one stock fuel and same turbos as you. never skips a beat-it is made by PI.

Halvy85

Reaction score
I have been running the RCD converter for over a year with about a dozen pulls on it and a lot of hard driving. I drove it everyday for a work truck during the week and never had a single issue. But I think if I was buying a new one I would try the DPC 13"

Latest posts

Members online