Torque Converter issue? or other?

jpfanner

Reaction score
Ok here's the quick and dirty. I've started noticing horrible fuel mileage this winter and now a shudder right at initial acceleration. It was very slight at first and seemed to happen more when turning so I thought my junk LS was just slipping clutches. Then I started noticing on deceleration I felt it, slight at first, now from 35mph on down to a stop it shudders like I have Swamper Boggers on! Well the shop found some loose bolts on the front part of my two piece drive shaft so they tightened those up but it's still shuddering. That was yesterday. Well today I had to pull a 12k grain vac about 90 miles. From a stop under accelleartion it shuddered like crazy. It was wet and nasty pavement so I thought maybe LS rear end, but then again something just isn't adding up. Oil was just changed and there didn't seem to be any fuel in oil. Once you get going the shuddering goes away. It SEEMS driveline related BUT I'm also concerned about a broke piston perhaps?

I've also had an EBP code a couple times and this morning there was a contribution code on #3 and a turbo boost code. But I cleared the codes and they have not returned. I'm at a loss here. thoughts?

jpfanner

Reaction score
Well throw out the trouble codes I think those were extreme cold weather related. But the shuddering on deceleration? The hard shudder under take off with a 12k pound load? Could it be as simple as a u-joint? I just had the motor replaced 18k miles ago, could it have been a TC/flywheel issue?

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
What kind of traction bars are they? Do they affect pinion axle at all? if you have something that affects it incorrectly it opens a whole new can of worms.

Jared

WoodBoy

Reaction score
Well throw out the trouble codes I think those were extreme cold weather related. But the shuddering on deceleration? The hard shudder under take off with a 12k pound load? Could it be as simple as a u-joint? I just had the motor replaced 18k miles ago, could it have been a TC/flywheel issue?

U-joints could cause this as well as a carrier bearing not properly in line.

jpfanner

Reaction score
What kind of traction bars are they? Do they affect pinion axle at all? if you have something that affects it incorrectly it opens a whole new can of worms.

Jared

I have some from PMF that have been on for 6 months. I've had no issues until the last 3 weeks. It's going back to the shop tomorrow. It actually seems to have gotten slightly better??? I don't know, going to the shop tomorrow. Probably start with the usual suspects (U-joints, carrier bearing, etc) then move onto the rear-end, brakes?? Transmissions, etc until we find out.

Also I got another contribution code on Cylinder 3. It's only happened when it's extremely cold out and the truck is high-idling warming up. Hope it's nothing bad. It has a new engine and brand new fuel system.

Latest posts

Members online