torque, cylinder pressure, tuning

psduser1

Reaction score
Ok, I'm no tuner!
My question is for "tuners", either professional or guys doing stuff for fun.

I'm getting money and info around for a build sometime in near future. I've talked to a couple of different shops, tuners, builders, and so on. The parts I have now are 300/200, srp1.1, 38r/s488, got fuel covered, along with other misc parts. I know I can do all this on forged rods, with the possibility of windows as a given. So, for durability, I'm going with aftermarket rods, crower, Manley, or the like. Not trying for the "biggest" hp number, more for usuable, linear, power.
The question is, at what rpm can you start bringing the torque curve up, and peak, how does that relate to your hp peak, which is usually better, higher in the rpms. Bluntly, what can any given billet rod tolerate as far as torque, and at what rpm? And yes, I understand that cylinder pressure is directly related to torque, although I can't describe the actual number ratio! I'm guess I'm asking about tuners theories, proven or unproven, lol. Experience counts, some kind of cp vs torque numbers would be better. Obviously, I'm not asking for proprietary info, just want to get this straight before I have to post a window thread, lol.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
With your combo on fuel you won't even come close to tossing a billet rod.

You'll more or less be risking head gaskets. Pistons and splitting the block.

With twins I'm sure you could start putting the fuel in hard just after 15-1600rpm. Then bring timing up soon after.

Timing is a fine line I've found tunin a big single. Timing helps burn the fuel a bit better. But. Less timing seems to get everything moving faster. However. Pull too much and you get more smoke.

With 200% nozzles an twins you could probably pull peak power to over 3000rpm and pull hard after that till 3500 before it will drop off.

Too be honest. I bet you could run a file I have for my 75mm single and it would work well. Maybe bring fuel and timing in a touch earlier. But any Loss of timing would be made up by the extra turbo in my opinion.

Don't take what I say as gospel. As I only do it as a hobby. And don't have much other then theory on twins

Charles would be great in this thread. As he ran 200% with a 38/47. And self tuned.

psduser1

Reaction score
I've talked to Charles a couple of times about the compound setup, very knowledgeable! I've never done any tuning myself, don't really plan to start.
This thread is more to learn the limits of this platform, for personal knowledge, I guess.
The consensus seems to be the rods will be fine, I agree, hadn't really thought about the need for firerings, yet. The plan is to run this setup on my160/100, for breakin, then swap over to the 200% and compounds. Not really necessary?
I'm kinda curious how far billet rods have been pushed.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it. I broke mine in on 200% injectors.

Few guys around 1000hp.
I believe hypermax rates their rods to 2000hp

psduser1

Reaction score
I didn't know that about hypermax.
I guess my question is more about lower rpm cylinder pressure, as higher rpms seem to not bend rods, lol.

psduser1

Reaction score
Vengeance, I do a lot of towing, usually heavy, so dependability is important. Don't really need 700hp, I just think I'd like to have it,lol. May end up being to big of a pita, but I'm willing to try it.

Mj, I can't remember the specs off the top of my head, and I'm not at the house, right now. I bought Nates old setup (unlimited diesel), and he said he was fairly satisfied with it, just went back to a big single.
The turbo is a t6, and I want to say a 1.36 housing, jb.

m j

Reaction score
off topic I know but

bw doesnt make a 88mm s400 so the compressor side is custom.
you would have to research everything to see what you have.
how many blades on the compressor wheel?
the common t6 is 1.32ar iirc

thanks for reply and good luck with the build.

psduser1

Reaction score
You're probably right, lol. I bought all this stuff about two yrs ago, haven't had time mess with it.

Vengeance

Reaction score
Vengeance, I do a lot of towing, usually heavy, so dependability is important. Don't really need 700hp, I just think I'd like to have it,lol. May end up being to big of a pita, but I'm willing to try it.

Mj, I can't remember the specs off the top of my head, and I'm not at the house, right now. I bought Nates old setup (unlimited diesel), and he said he was fairly satisfied with it, just went back to a big single.
The turbo is a t6, and I want to say a 1.36 housing, jb.

In which case, in my opinion, you wouldn't want that big of an injector. Power and reliability tend to get further and further apart when the hp curve on the dyno gets higher.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
That and you won't squeeze 700hp out of a 300/200.

Towing with that will also melt the driveline lol

However. The twins should be the cats ass. Instant throttle response and plenty of top end to merge with whatever is hitched to the back.

I wouldn't go any bigger then a 200% nozzle. I think with twins you'll enjoy that truck every key cycle

TyCorr

Reaction score
Uh oh! Injector builder showed up.

To mj, how do you know bw never produced an 88mm s400?

KBMKVIII

Reaction score
What about the thread here from swamps?
932 hp, and Was it not 300,200s?
Yes that was engine dyno but with the driveline loss it would be 700+.
May be off on exact size but it was 200 nozzles from the story I believe.
Either way, good luck Joe!
Can't wait to see that truck when done!
Already a mean looker!

Last edited:

V-Ref

Reaction score
Show me a 7.3 that makes 700rwhp fuel only that can back it up with track times on any nozzle let alone 200%. Other then mike o. Or Brian j.

Dan

You just don't get it....There are plenty of trucks like this...not everything big power is hapenning on these forums. I'm under the impression from quotes like these that there's numerous $15k+ 7.3 builds going on that we just don't know about that are making huge numbers.

I'd call Swamps and find out the answers to these kind of questions...... . it would seem they have the big hp market just about cornered on the 7.3 platform.

Yes, it sure is, with a stock intercooler, fuel feeding through the factory NPT ports (with a regulated return), and would you believe no HPOil crossover line...LOL

We have a long way to go, but we learn something new every day.

Sent from my DynaTAC

uh.

trucks been here.

pulled engine, rebuilt engine, hot rod parts, nitrous...dyno..

want pictures? videos?

the trucks a friggin animal.

so...just because 'a' shop isn't swinging their dick in your face everytime we make 'x' hp...and joebloe windowlicker isn't on here humping his keyboard 24/7 doesn't meant chit isn't getting done...

:)

carry on...think Hypertech just released a new HPOP for y'all to argue about.

Tim @ P.I.S.

Reaction score
Show me a 7.3 that makes 700rwhp fuel only that can back it up with track times on any nozzle let alone 200%. Other then mike o. Or Brian j.

Sorry I don't have a graph and or slip handy, but it's completely doable. 300cc is enough fuel to make into the 800hp range. It's all about the right turbo setup.

I'm not sure what brain has done, but have spoken to mike in the past so I guess there is two, since you brought them up.

No offence but it's that mentality that "I couldn't do it so it's not possible" that is holding us back more than anything else.

I talk to numerous people,everyday that order big boy parts that never step foot on the forums. So just because it's not posted on here doesn't mean it's not happening.

Latest posts

Members online