torque, cylinder pressure, tuning

psduser1

Reaction score
Dieselboy, I'm well aware of what will happen towing at 700 hp!
That number is irrelevant to the question at hand, I'm not asking what the big number "could" be, I just don't care!
My question is regarding how early in the rpms can I bring in hp. I'm looking at the fun factor a little, is guess. Can I stomp it to the wood and have everything lite at 1100, or will I have to start the fun at 1800 rpms? These engines are somewhat lazy by nature, too much stuff to get moving, if you know what I mean. Tuning will control that, but I'm not interested in bending stuff, either.
I'm really hoping a couple of tuners can add some details.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
In which case, in my opinion, you wouldn't want that big of an injector. Power and reliability tend to get further and further apart when the hp curve on the dyno gets higher.

Sorry I don't have a graph and or slip handy, but it's completely doable. 300cc is enough fuel to make into the 800hp range. It's all about the right turbo setup.

I'm not sure what brain has done, but have spoken to mike in the past so I guess there is two, since you brought them up.

No offence but it's that mentality that "I couldn't do it so it's not possible" that is holding us back more than anything else.

I talk to numerous people,everyday that order big boy parts that never step foot on the forums. So just because it's not posted on here doesn't mean it's not happening.

This is true. Not all are the forums.
But that's means a 6600lb reg can can run 11.5x on 200% nozzles.

I've never seen that. Even a stretch for a 400% nozzle.

Mike and Brian both ran 400% nozzles. And huge set of twins. Ones that most people care less to use.
That makes 2 7.3s that have dynod 700+rwhp and can back it.

I'd love to see 200% beat that.
300cc is enough fuel. But can you get it in in time and use it all

Tim @ P.I.S.

Reaction score
This is true. Not all are the forums.
But that's means a 6600lb reg can can run 11.5x on 200% nozzles.

I've never seen that. Even a stretch for a 400% nozzle.

Mike and Brian both ran 400% nozzles. And huge set of twins. Ones that most people care less to use.
That makes 2 7.3s that have dynod 700+rwhp and can back it.

I'd love to see 200% beat that.
300cc is enough fuel. But can you get it in in time and use it all

Talk to mike a out his turbos. Not as big as you might think.

Yes 300cc will do it. The time window is all up to what the tuner is capable of.

Gearhead

Reaction score
If you cap a stock forged rod at 1200 ft/lbs of torque it would last a long time. On a fully built motor, you are going to have chassis limitations before you run into making enough power to tear up the motor (with the exception of main caps walking). I would say cap wheel torque to 1300 unless you are at a dik measuring contest and let it maintain that torque output as long as it can on the RPM scale. HP will take care of itself and power will probably peak around 3300 rpms or so.

psduser1

Reaction score
If you cap a stock forged rod at 1200 ft/lbs of torque it would last a long time. On a fully built motor, you are going to have chassis limitations before you run into making enough power to tear up the motor (with the exception of main caps walking). I would say cap wheel torque to 1300 unless you are at a dik measuring contest and let it maintain that torque output as long as it can on the RPM scale. HP will take care of itself and power will probably peak around 3300 rpms or so.

This.
I'm running your tunes, matt, on my 160/100, and on a stock set of injectors. I like them

Instant throttle responsible is the goal at any rpm, not a big number, not a track time. Those are cool, but not in this application.

The only reason for the big injector is because the price was right, not because I want to go racing. It's a six speed.

TyCorr

Reaction score
This.
I'm running your tunes, matt, on my 160/100, and on a stock set of injectors. I like them

Instant throttle responsible is the goal at any rpm, not a big number, not a track time. Those are cool, but not in this application.

The only reason for the big injector is because the price was right, not because I want to go racing. It's a six speed.

I get what you're saying. The number just happens to be how much hp you think it'll take for your goal to happen. Driveability and function are to be the byproduct of a huge and dynamic.powerband.

psduser1

Reaction score
Lol, Ty.
That is the goal, when I actually put this together.

My point of the question in the first thread really should have been. "Has anybody measured the cylinder pressure at which a billet rod breaks, at a given rpm?"

That's actually kind of simplistic, and doesn't do anybody much good. Matt is talking about limiting torque to 11-1300 lbs, and I grasp that. Just curious at what rpm that number is going to matter.
I just reread the b code vs hybrid thread next door, its kinda related.
Keeping in mind, of course I don't know **** about big injector diesel power!

Latest posts

Members online