Total Cost to.....

TyCorr

Reaction score
Thats what I figured. Wanted him to say it. And he showed no markup on those prices. Id expect a wee bit more given that.

1500-1800 is a damn solid number as far as Im concerned.

SickStroke6.0

Reaction score
Ive put 3 in my own trucks. Summit is the cheapest place you can get the trutrac. Around $550

I install new bearings and races and reuse the old shims. Seal on the axles are reuseable and RTV the cover back on.

75w-140 syn fluid 3ish qts. I end up with around $750 in it and about 4hrs in labor.

For the rear of the truck and what he is doing. The trutrac sounds like the perfect option.

Don't know if that helps or not, but at least its some real world info.

4hr = ~$400

$750 + $400 for labor = $1,150. You're already making $400 in labor, so a $50-$150 markup on the parts would be more than plenty.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Idk about that. Nobody is doing it for that around here. I understand where you are coming from but that doesnt seem to be the math used for the job. Idk of any place around here that actually does work like what im asking about. The guy im trying to send him to isnt an advertised shop. He's got two real jobs and is an enthusiast who has done stuff for me when my resources run thin, such as time or ability.

Buuuut the guy who needs the trutrac is expecting 800 dollars to get it all done without him touching it and I dont think its gonna happen no matter what.

I sure as the hell wouldnt do it for 1100 even if I knew what I was doing LOL

suprhlr

Reaction score
I set up rear ends (on the side) all the time and charge $200-$250 per axle labor and usually don't mark up parts.

co04cobra

Reaction score
You guys are right in the ballpark with $400 in labor. A walk in retail deal for $1200 would be very reasonable.

Price will also go up several hundred if someone prefers to go ahead and pull pinion and completely set the rear back up.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Wouldn't that be intelligent after dropping that much coin on all the parts?

co04cobra

Reaction score
Wouldn't that be intelligent after dropping that much coin on all the parts?

Personally I prefer to leave the factory depth on the pinion. I feel that the chance of human error causes more of a risk for a failure, then leaving the depth the same, and just adding new bearings with races on the carrier.

I have around 30-35K miles on my 00 truck this way with some towing, heavy foot driving, and sled pulling with no issues.

I helped a friend of mine put one in his 97 this way and hes got well over 100K on it. The only way to describe his towing and driving habits would be retarded :doh: On an otherwise complete factory 300K+ axle.

After I installed the one in my 08 truck it saw a sled pull, and more leaving black marks then actually moving forward the first 100 or so miles.

I am not trying to say to do it one way over another just sharing my experiences this way.

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
If he's dead set on getting a 'locker' as cheap as possible, why not set him up with a lunchbox locker?
Powertrax Lock Right can be had for under $400 online. No need to reset gears.

TyCorr

Reaction score
If he's dead set on getting a 'locker' as cheap as possible, why not set him up with a lunchbox locker?
Powertrax Lock Right can be had for under $400 online. No need to reset gears.

I honestly dont know what that is. Ill look it up.

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
If he wants it done right he will pay... I had my entire rear done at a driveline shop that specializes in drag car rears etc. I brought my detroit locker to them as I had already purchased it ($600ish? IIRC) My bill was just over $2k. this was every single bearing and seal that could be replaced, new pinion bearing with solid shim, new brake rotors and pads on the rear etc. Gotta pay to play when it comes to doing rears.

Latest posts