Totaled truck.... I want my motor and trans

KingRanch6.4

Reaction score
Long and short of it... just totaled a gorgeous King Ranch with 140k miles.
12g in motor (MPD) and 6g in new trans (TwistedD) with less than 5000 miles.
I want them. I highly doubt insurance will give me what it's worth. Even with aftermarket coverage.

Any ideas guys? Recommendations?

Happy to have walked away without a scratch, but damn there's a lot of blood, sweat, and dollar signs sitting in that wrecker yard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jomax

Reaction score
If you owe money on it. You can't buy it back. At least In AZ.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

co04cobra

Reaction score
Buy a stock motor and trans to swap in before insurance takes it? And no I'm not saying a junk motor and trans.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
It depends on your state insurance regs.
Just make sure that the insurance isnt going to try and high ball the salvage price because you want it back. I would take to a shop that you know and either swap parts or see what insurance will give you. Here they have replacement value, it doesnt matter what Blue Book is. They try and tell you it is but in the end if replacement is high they have to give it to you. I would also see if you can get some prices on comparable trucks in your area both salvage and clean title.

78f100

Reaction score
One of my friends 10 mega cab burned last month, he bought the truck back for 200$. Motor and Trans were fine the interior and cab are shot. I would stay on your insurance company to buy it back, some places require a dealers license even then you could pay a dealer to buy it.

co04cobra

Reaction score
I see your in VA. Burn and flood trucks are different then "regular" salvage. Trucks in this area bring a premium even salvage. It will vary some depending on your insurance company but I can almost promise they won't sell it to you "cheap".

Ask your company about buying it back and see what happens or have the engine trans swapped before they get it.

Rubenk

Reaction score
I totalled mine with less than 1000 miles on studs and new BTS trans. I showed insurance over 10k in receipts and got a good portion of it back. Then I bought the truck back for 4300 and fixed it for another 3k. Still driving it.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
One of my friends 10 mega cab burned last month, he bought the truck back for 200$. Motor and Trans were fine the interior and cab are shot. I would stay on your insurance company to buy it back, some places require a dealers license even then you could pay a dealer to buy it.

in '07 I had an '03 base model Dodge with just shy of 200k miles that I picked up for $7750 OTD

I totaled it, and the insurance company wanted $10k buy back!

they paid me $14,250 for the truck

YMMV

TyCorr

Reaction score
Here its not worth trying. Someone must pay good $$ because they want more than the chit is worth.

78f100

Reaction score
Here is the truck right before the fire department put it out, the front tires didn't even burn. He had powder coated the whole suspension and wheels.that's the biggest reason he wanted it back. I can't believe they sold it back so cheap either but he said he got it for 200$. Also It was not paid off either, he had insurance with geico.

Attachments

• 5864.jpg
    5864.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 174

Jomax

Reaction score
Here is the truck right before the fire department put it out, the front tires didn't even burn. He had powder coated the whole suspension and wheels.that's the biggest reason he wanted it back. I can't believe they sold it back so cheap either but he said he got it for 200$. Also It was not paid off either, he had insurance with geico.

I guess every state is different. In AZ any truck not paid off can't have a buy back.

Wayne

Reaction score
In every place I've lived, the policy is the lein holder gets paid off first, and once that's done, the owner has the legal right to buy it back.

78f100

Reaction score
In every place I've lived, the policy is the lein holder gets paid off first, and once that's done, the owner has the legal right to buy it back.

Correct, that's what happened with my friend, they paid truck off, he walked away with 9k and change and the truck. He by no means came out smelling like a rose but at least he has some useful parts for cheap.

Rodslinger

Reaction score
I guess every state is different. In AZ any truck not paid off can't have a buy back.

Not true. As stated, they payoff the lean holder then deduct salvage value from your side the check. Some insurance companies with make sure that the title states " salvage" before releasing the vehicle for liability reasons. Now if you'er upside down on the loan, you'er SOL. Just was helping a customer retain their 2006 F150 a few weeks back.

capt dong

Reaction score
In Texas you can buy it back even if you owe on it. Lost my twin turbo Z in 2002 in a flood. They offered to sell it back to me. Wasn't a bad price. I swapped stock parts and let them have it.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I hear these stories where people make out huge from insurance claims but anytime I had to it wasnt appealing. I had a truck once that I put the $$ to that got wrecked and it was a huge losing proposition.

morepower02

Reaction score
I hear these stories where people make out huge from insurance claims but anytime I had to it wasnt appealing. I had a truck once that I put the $$ to that got wrecked and it was a huge losing proposition.

Same here. No one I know personally has made out like the stories of a buddies buddy. And don't forget their rates more than likely were jacked after the total loss.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score

this is a big part of why I never go crazy with builds :eek:

JMart

Reaction score
Same here. No one I know personally has made out like the stories of a buddies buddy. And don't forget their rates more than likely were jacked after the total loss.

I have seen people get screwed and people who have gotten a little extra from the insurance company by having receipts. I think what it comes down to the most is who's fault it was. Who's insurance company is paying for it.

If it isn't your insurance paying for the loss, expect to get screwed. If its yours, it could go either way.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.