Towed with it for the first time

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Wife's truck, the '06...

Normally runs down the road with acceptable/normal ECT and EOT within 10* higher.

We have a mid 90's 4 horse trailer, and it's pretty heavy. Usually use my '97 to tow heavy things, but it's down so...

Hooked 'er up and off we went.

It was 80-85* outside, and on some of the hills, it hit 220* ECT, with EOT getting as high as 235*. That was holding 55-60 on grades of up to a mile, at 4-5%. Matt's tow tune. Yes, fan was running. Turned off A/C for the ride home and it went to about 215* and EOT 225-230*. EOT came back down to within 10* when the truck cooled down on level ground.

Seems a bit on the high side for me.

I got EOT up to 220* ONE TIME in my '02, and that was doin 75-80 with a tri axle, 200 gallons of diesel, and a pulling truck behind it. In the 7.3's the highest I've ever gotten with this horse trailer on these same roads was 210*, with A/C running.

Dunno what delta calls for a new oil cooler, but on the whole the thing just seems to be working awful hard, to be reaching those temps.

I'm 6oh dumb... So I'm open to all opinions.

suprdzlduty

Reaction score
Egr deleted? If not do so. That will help temps. I would pull the radiator take it to the car wash and wash it out. You would be amazed at the amount of issues caused by a clogged radiator...externally clogged that is. Farmers and those that are in dusty conditions a lot suffer from this. Might as well do an oil cooler too and a coolant filter...those are the basics on a 6.0. The kind of oil you run can also effect oil temp. I am assuming the truck is all stock in all of this.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
It's stock except for a blue spring and housing kit my wife put on it. Going to do EGR delete and studs and BPD oil cooler all at once. Just waiting for the delta to tell me it's time.

EGR is turned off, FWIW.

And the truck has had Schaeffer 9000 in it for the last 50k, at about a 4k interval.

Latest posts

Members online