Towing a big box and controlling SWAY

Jomax

Reaction score
I think you just got lucky with the dodge. I took the factory sway bars off my 06 and I can't tell a difference.

X2. My 2015 has no swaybars. Drives better than stock.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

UpstateDieselGuy

Reaction score
Just a thought, but I pulled a dump trailer with about 4 tons of crusher run behind my old '11 350 ECSB and it was a swaying mess. Now granted it was an under box axle set up so that may have been part of it. Last fall I pulled 6 tons with a little longer wide axle trailer that sat a little lower with my '06 dodge 2500 and it was straight as an arrow. Both times with the same hitch, no sway bars. I wish it could've been the same Tralee each time to get a better comparison though. That being said, I think the older style, shorter length leaf packs work better than these new long leaf springs in the new trucks. I just think that from the factory, these new Fords have more body roll compared to older trucks. I haven't towed a gooseneck or fifth wheel, but suspect it's not as much of an issue due to where the weight is placed.

TrickTruck

Reaction score
I don't feel any body roll.

The hitch is 1700# leveling and 17k total. So I'm in spec.

# of links depends on how the head is tilted. I've got a good bit of tilt and am on the 6th link (from the free end) No-Sway links are nearly horizontal.

Will add that the Reese mounting of the sway brackets sux. Could see them moving all over. So I welded them to the trailer. No move around anymore :D

TrickTruck

Reaction score
Towed again this weekend and it's never towed better.

I dropped the head on the hitch one hole = 2" Trailer is level front to rear.
Took the leveling bars another link on the chain = #7 from the end, this is a lot of load on these bars, but they seem to be taking it.
Readjusted the links...again. I am theorizing that they are not quite identical bars and that I've been mixing them Left to Right causing me to have to readjust every time I hook up. So I marked one this time so it'll go back on the same side in the future.
Airbags set at 70psi

Still have a little sway and it certainly pushes the truck around in the wind. Then again, it's a 34' sail, what can I expect?

At this point I'm wondering if the addition of a friction sway would even do anything.

Y'all think it's just tires at this point or am I just up against the limits of what a 34' sail will do?

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
look at your tires (on the trailer) when driving. if they have any up and down movement like a balloon then you need heavier tires on the trailer.. that helps a lot when they dont give....

live life full throttle

Twan

Reaction score
^^^ yes get the friction sway bars. They are cheap and are deigned to stop sway.

When I run them, and they are set up right it feels like the truck and trailer are one soild unit when you pass a truck.

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
Tricktruck,

Doesn't your hitch have the sway control that eliminates the old design friction sway?? According to Reese the new design should be much better.

FWIW, we have a 32 enclosed triple axle bumper pull. We converted the 6.7 F250 truck to a DRW with 19.5 wheels and super stiff H rated tires (If I remember right). Added a leaf to the rear pack. Truck towed the trailer no problem, no equalizer, no friciton sway, no air bags. 80 mph with my 7000lb truck inside. I was never scared to pass a semi.

A few years ago we converted it back to SRW. I hook up the trailer and go for a tow. One hour later, my back is drenched and I'm beat. Truck had 35" Toyo M'T's E rated. Over the course of the next few years, added airbags (worthless). Added equalizer and friction sway control (helped). Went back to OE tires (helped).

Point of my story, setup STILL has never towed like it did with the stiff sidewall 19.5 tires. I don't know if it's your tires but my experiences lead me to point at flexing sidewalls.

Twan

Reaction score
Tricktruck,

Doesn't your hitch have the sway control that eliminates the old design friction sway?? According to Reese the new design should be much better.

FWIW, we have a 32 enclosed triple axle bumper pull. We converted the 6.7 F250 truck to a DRW with 19.5 wheels and super stiff H rated tires (If I remember right). Added a leaf to the rear pack. Truck towed the trailer no problem, no equalizer, no friciton sway, no air bags. 80 mph with my 7000lb truck inside. I was never scared to pass a semi.

A few years ago we converted it back to SRW. I hook up the trailer and go for a tow. One hour later, my back is drenched and I'm beat. Truck had 35" Toyo M'T's E rated. Over the course of the next few years, added airbags (worthless). Added equalizer and friction sway control (helped). Went back to OE tires (helped).

Point of my story, setup STILL has never towed like it did with the stiff sidewall 19.5 tires. I don't know if it's your tires but my experiences lead me to point at flexing sidewalls.

It's not the stiffer wall tire, it's the fact it's a dually vs single wheel, I have a dually with E tires (3000lbs) tires and a single with E (4000lbs) tires. The dually is way better and I only run 65 psi in them. The single I run max pressure in.

Yes, tires can and do cause some sway, but you can't ever compare a dually to a single wheel truck.

TrickTruck

Reaction score
Yea, I know SRW vs DRW, DRW will win. Double the amount of sidewalls. Easy win.

Yes, my hitch is the 'new' design that eliminates friction sway control. Can still be added though.

Latest posts