Towing compound setup

swinky

Reaction score
Have you dyno'd your setup? What max hp with 190/75s or even 100s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
His truck has been 12.4 on 190s and mines been 12.5. I think 650 is going to be the most you'll get out of a 190 on fuel only.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
Haven't been on a dyno with this setup. But like swinky said mid 12s seem to be where 190cc will get you. Which is what, 630ish?

Depends on weight of the truck. I would say 190's are good for 600-625 as a good conservative estimate.

My 205/100s made 630-650 on a couple different Dyno's.

scorpion67

Reaction score
I always hear it seems bigger than 190s don't tow good. That's obviously because most a the guys are running big singles? Say you had a VGT compound setup s475/pmax(?) and 225s that a towing option with 700 on the street?

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
I always hear it seems bigger than 190s don't tow good. That's obviously because most a the guys are running big singles? Say you had a VGT compound setup s475/pmax(?) and 225s that a towing option with 700 on the street?

The vgt high pressure has been done in many setups, it also has been throw in the trash on most of those due to back pressure issues. Better off running a tight housing and gating around the high pressure into the atmo charger.

NathannialD

Reaction score
The vgt high pressure has been done in many setups, it also has been throw in the trash on most of those due to back pressure issues. Better off running a tight housing and gating around the high pressure into the atmo charger.

I think that has happened because very few know how to get them set up correctly. Kinda the same reason guys with max powers make 700 hp or 900+ just have to understand how everything works and how to set up the gate.

The vgt high pressure will still be the best responding and make towing much easier if it's an option. Just my opinion

UpstateDieselGuy

Reaction score
I've always wondered why people ditch it with the 6.0 compared to the other platforms. If there was a bolt on kit that used it and had a provision for a wastegate for the factory turbo I would think it would be popular, but then again I don't know how difficult the tuning of it would be.

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
I've always wondered why people ditch it with the 6.0 compared to the other platforms. If there was a bolt on kit that used it and had a provision for a wastegate for the factory turbo I would think it would be popular, but then again I don't know how difficult the tuning of it would be.

Part of its reputation, people just think the turbos are destined for issues so they just throw them out. Another is like Nathaniel said, it takes extra time to dial in a gate to make it work properly.

For the ultimate tow setup It would be worth it though. Stock turbo with a gate and and like an s475 or something.

Canadian Mind

Reaction score
Part of its reputation, people just think the turbos are destined for issues so they just throw them out. Another is like Nathaniel said, it takes extra time to dial in a gate to make it work properly.

For the ultimate tow setup It would be worth it though. Stock turbo with a gate and and like an s475 or something.

I had a thought I mused about over on the .org a couple months ago regarding the observed the characteristics of the GT3572VA, mainly where it spools incredibly fast. For the same reason you suggest using a stock turbo for a HP, would it be an good HP turbo, either stock or with a modified compressor side for higher flow/boost (say from a GTX3576R or GTX3582R), for this particular application?

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
I had a thought I mused about over on the .org a couple months ago regarding the observed the characteristics of the GT3572VA, mainly where it spools incredibly fast. For the same reason you suggest using a stock turbo for a HP, would it be an good HP turbo, either stock or with a modified compressor side for higher flow/boost (say from a GTX3576R or GTX3582R), for this particular application?

Depends on power goals.. There are plenty of modified stock turbos out there that work well on their own and could work as a HP. I wouldn't go too much larger than stock compressor wheel size maybe a 63mm compressor with stock turbine and housing for towing because you want the HP to spool fast and let the LP clean up

Latest posts

Members online