Towing heavy tuned

valvetick

Reaction score
I have searched and seems to be hard to get a straight answer. I came from a 6.0 so towing anything required a specific tow tune. With my 15 after going on a diet my tuner and others I've spoken too never seem to swap tunes when hooking up to trailers. Are these trucks fine running a hotter tune while
Towing if you monitor EGT's and drive careful? I pulled my toy hauler briefly and truck never got above 1200* unless I really
Put my foot into it on a grade.

I'm currently running a custom flash off a h&s and I really like the tune and how clean it is just would like to have ability to shift on the fly and gain the exhaust brake function back so will be getting eZlynk eventually.

Combined gross between truck and trailer runs between 22-25k lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

valvetick

Reaction score
2015 with h&s ?

He just used the tuner to flash the ecu it's not in the truck plugged in, it's using his tunes. But regardless for towing heavy is a tow specific tune needed? If so I need to get ezlynk sooner before my first trip with the trailer so I can change tunes without going to him to reflash back and forth.

valvetick

Reaction score
Either he lied to you or you misunderstood him because 15+ trucks are not compatible with H&S. or I misunderstood your post

Then it's a hacked bully dog/h&s I watched him write the tune for my truck download it into the tuner and we plugged it in flashed the truck and unplugged and walked away.. but thats not my plan to stay this route since I want to get my exhaust brake function back and ability to shift on fly so can anyone comment on how hot of a tune these trucks can tow with safely if monitored? Again my 6.0 you worried about cylinder pressure blowing the heads off or melting something if not watching egt's.

PasoF450

Reaction score
Then it's a hacked bully dog/h&s I watched him write the tune for my truck download it into the tuner and we plugged it in flashed the truck and unplugged and walked away.. but thats not my plan to stay this route since I want to get my exhaust brake function back and ability to shift on fly so can anyone comment on how hot of a tune these trucks can tow with safely if monitored? Again my 6.0 you worried about cylinder pressure blowing the heads off or melting something if not watching egt's.

If you keep searching here on the website, somewhere there was a thread discussing this. And the answer is yes, pressure is a issue. When you are towing that those weights 20-22,000lb you should be in a tow mode.

Simple monitoring exhaust gas temps and hoping for the best is not the best route. In the thread I mentioned there was a guys that outlined all the other engine parts under stress from a hotter tune.

If you were only towing a trailer with your RZRs on it then I would say your fine towing hot. But gooseneck loaded up or heavy 5th wheel toy hauler use the tow tune.

One other note in the 15s Ford changed to a thicker head gasket and I think better bolt down to handle the higher boost pressures. Somebody with more knowledge may chime in here.

valvetick

Reaction score
If you keep searching here on the website, somewhere there was a thread discussing this. And the answer is yes, pressure is a issue. When you are towing that those weights 20-22,000lb you should be in a tow mode.

Simple monitoring exhaust gas temps and hoping for the best is not the best route. In the thread I mentioned there was a guys that outlined all the other engine parts under stress from a hotter tune.

If you were only towing a trailer with your RZRs on it then I would say your fine towing hot. But gooseneck loaded up or heavy 5th wheel toy hauler use the tow tune.

One other note in the 15s Ford changed to a thicker head gasket and I think better bolt down to handle the higher boost pressures. Somebody with more knowledge may chime in here.

Ok great thanks that is what I thought but have heard guys not pulling power but I would prefer to stay on the safe side as heavy as my trailer is. On my short little
Tow on the current tune it did excellent while I was monitoring egt's, boost, back pressure and temps stayed below 25 psi boost and below 1200* unless I pushed the go pedal harder which wasn't needed to maintain 65-70 mph. Next question is which power level typically gets the best mileage towing and will keep the exhaust brake

WHY NOT

Reaction score
I have pulled heavy loads with tow tunes and performance tunes. Its nice to have the little extra in the performance tune, but I have had the truck completely drain the rails when it down shifted in the hot tune and shut the truck down had to pull over and restart it. Now I generally run the tow tune on it when I hook to the GN with a decent load on it. I just keep an eye on my temps and haven't had a problem otherwise.

drservo

Reaction score
I tow 15K 5th wheel camper thru the mountains on the Spartin Wahammer tune and it tows great, you just have to tow with sense and watch your temps.

ncollins64

Reaction score
^whs. I never use my tow tune. So far with gh, tyrant, and ppei tunes I've towed 20k a couple times and never had an issue on performance. I watch my temps, and drive like I have some sense. These 6.7s are so much more refined and flow so much better, there towing beasts.

NCSU dirt man

Reaction score
so it appears that a lot of people on here are saying they're towing loads anywhere from 10-15k lbs while running higher/hotter tunes but not having any issues? I'd love to switch to a hotter tune but PIP's recommendations for what I tow was to stay in the street tune which is usually around 12-13k lbs with the trailer and mini excavator

valvetick

Reaction score
See lots of mixed opinions on which tune to run that's why I asked. My tuner told me I would throw a rod before it blew a head gasket with the new head design and has Hot Shots that tow across the country with the same tune he flashed to my truck which has made consistently 520-560 wheel on his Dyno with each truck

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
i certainly would not plan on towing heavy with a tune like that. he MUST have flashed it with an apex, and its probably the hottest file available for sure. do not tow anything over 6000 lbs or you are asking for problems. no , it wont throw a rod or blow a head gasket , but it can easily melt a piston. it's gonna run VERY hot, because it's a race file. if it does anything he says , hot shots are NOT towing anywhere with that tune, and i would consider this fellow VERY suspect and FOS .

if you want an ez lynk hit me up . i'll give you real world info , and not the type of BS you have been fed . if it's not getting too hot as you say it's not anything close to 520 hp .

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I run a 64mm version of the 15 turbo and when I am loaded really heavy I run a small tune with a max pw of 920us to keep the egts down on long 6% grades I try to keep eggs below 1250

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I run a 64mm version of the 15 turbo and when I am loaded really heavy I run a small tune with a max pw of 920us to keep the egts down on long 6% grades I try to keep eggs below 1250

and 920us prolly makes 450 rwhp . certainly not 520 .

jcain

Reaction score
I tow on my ******* "500" tune. My gears give me a hell of a lot of mechanical advantage. I've also asked.for a very different shift strategy to keep RPMS up and egts down. There's a lot to keeping these things in tact. You may get away with it but probably not forever.

FordPSD64

Reaction score
I certainly would never tow on a race tune, you're asking for trouble

2015 f250
NL S2 Intake, egr ******, CCV re route
5" exhaust
H&S pipe
Gear head tunes

Latest posts

Members online