Towing problems?

ithumpwheniwalk

Reaction score
Truck in sig, minus the d66, went back to stock. Went out for the maiden voyage with my 5th wheel, and right away noticed a problem with the truck.

Weight of the trailer fully loaded is right at 15k, I'm having to use low gear to get it moving, so from low to 1st, then 2nd the first three shifts the truck shakes horribly. I'm not able to use more than about half throttle, which is inconvenient where we're camping cause I've got a steep hill upon exit of the site, and I'm afraid of breaking something trying to power up it. Once I'm in 3rd the vibration is fairly minimal, but the low speed shake is killing me. Any ideas where to look? It almost feels like axle hop, but with the power my truck makes and the weight right over the rear axle, is that realistic?

ithumpwheniwalk

Reaction score
Shouldn't be... I put in a southbend clutch after I did the injectors and turbo upgrade cause the old one wouldn't hold. The new clutch chatters like a mofo but that's only on takeoff.. smooths out once i'm off the clutch pedal.

BS Hauler

Reaction score
How is the rubber in the hanger bearing. If it is getting old and loose it will let the drive-shaft shake under hard load. Also if the slip joint is getting dry on the drives-shaft it will make the problem worse.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Shouldn't be... I put in a southbend clutch after I did the injectors and turbo upgrade cause the old one wouldn't hold. The new clutch chatters like a mofo but that's only on takeoff.. smooths out once i'm off the clutch pedal.

No valley oil leaks? If so, they drain right IN to the clutch. Need to add some tubing if you have leakage issues.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.