Towing with a 471 vs 475

JD3020

Reaction score
In the process of "building" my truck, its main purpose will be a worktruck, and will tow pretty often. I'd venture to say that once i get the truck outfitted it'll gross 8k, and it'll be towing anywhere from 8k up to 14-15k. Good chance it'll be hooked to a trailer daily. I'm close to sea level, and not a ton of big hills, but it will see a lot of stop and go traffic. So i'm looking for something that will be reasonably responsive, run clean and tow great, and still be able to put down 5-550hp.

In the next couple weeks i will be getting a S475/83/1.10 T4. Would it be worthwhile to drop it down to a 71, or possibly even a smaller wheel? Or would the 75 with a smallish turbine wheel and housing(.90 or 1.0) work good?

Mods are in my sig, but for those that can't see it heres a basic rundown. 250/200%'s, fuel system, springs, Swamps IDM, and i tune it myself. I do plan on adding a HPOP, studs, and an intercooler. Depending on funds i hope to get everything ceramic coated and a turbo blanket to help it out a little bit.

Reaction score
For that power level, S468 all day long..... If you're modifying that turbo you're buying, then yes I would prefer the 71.

EDIT: I would leave the turbine housing alone until you figure out whether you need it to spool faster or not. If so, then drop it down. I run a .90 on an S465 and have no problem towing with a manual trans and 160/100s. I'd bet the 1.0 or 1.10 will run fine with your 250/200s.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I understand.

Just an FYI there's an S468 in the classifieds for sale right now. I don't know what you're paying for that 75, but by the time you get a new compressor wheel, backing plate, compressor housing, and possibly a turbine housing you wouldn't be far off from having an S468.

JD3020

Reaction score
Aren't the backing plates all the same? To be honest if i were to change compressor wheels i'd find somebody wanting to go bigger and trade em, if it wasn't for trading i'd still have a stock truck. LOL

Been digging through the 7.3 turbo thread from '11 and Jason(HRT) said that his truck with a 475 towed good, so hopefully he'll chime in.

ryanss22

Reaction score
I have a s475 with a billet wheel and a bigger 91mm exhaust wheel. And it dissent lite untill all most 2500rpm and its like a light switch on or off. And when on watch out i could break tires at 55mph. I would definitely suggest a smaller turbo for towing with a mild tune also

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
I have a s475 with a billet wheel and a bigger 91mm exhaust wheel. And it dissent lite untill all most 2500rpm and its like a light switch on or off. And when on watch out i could break tires at 55mph. I would definitely suggest a smaller turbo for towing with a mild tune also

^this

Light switch is the best way to describe it. I have the small exhaust wheel. I've towed a few small boats and dirt bike loaded utility trailers. And that's where I'd leave it.
I drive around my turbo. At 70mph. I make no boost cruising.

71 will be far better for you. I had a 71 with 250/200s and had several long tows with 8k behind the truck.
It's still a chore. But doable. Like we discussed on FB. And said here. 468fmw all day every day

obspsd

Reaction score
If you plan to tow every day then save your money and get the 468 and never look back. I've had multiple 75s with small turbine, big turbine, billet and cast wheels and the 468 is without a doubt the best I've had yet

JD3020

Reaction score
If it'd dry out to where we could start working i'd be able to order a 468, but thats not gonna happen for a while. And i still have to get a T4 mount, HPOP, and studs.

Sounds like i need to step it down to a 71 and see how that does, and start saving my pennies to get a 468 later on down the road.

Reaction score
If it'd dry out to where we could start working i'd be able to order a 468, but thats not gonna happen for a while. And i still have to get a T4 mount, HPOP, and studs.

Sounds like i need to step it down to a 71 and see how that does, and start saving my pennies to get a 468 later on down the road.

Yup a 468 is pretty much gonna be as big as you can go and keep good street manners.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.