Toyo MT's wearing FAST!

co04cobra

Reaction score
Blows my mind how the h#LL anybody gets 50K mi out of a set of tires on a SD.

I don't know if the lack of straight roads or the terrain where I'm at is the problem, but I have yet to get 20k out of ANY tire, or any tire that my buddies have tried, on a SD.

Numerous brands of tires and all cab configs across the board from 99-11. All power levels too, 350-700+hp. "Normal" tire wear has been 10-12k. I've got my first set of toyo MTs on my 08 now, and they are holding up as good if not some better, after about 7-8Kmi then most.

I'm guessing I'll get 15K out of them, which is phenomenal. One of my best friends got 13K out of his last set of toyos and the previous BFG before that got not quite 10K.

I've given up on buying a tire for tread wear. I just base it off what performs the best in snow, mud, and still works well when I sled pull.

swinky

Reaction score
Blows my mind how the h#LL anybody gets 50K mi out of a set of tires on a SD.

I don't know if the lack of straight roads or the terrain where I'm at is the problem, but I have yet to get 20k out of ANY tire, or any tire that my buddies have tried, on a SD.

Numerous brands of tires and all cab configs across the board from 99-11. All power levels too, 350-700+hp. "Normal" tire wear has been 10-12k. I've got my first set of toyo MTs on my 08 now, and they are holding up as good if not some better, after about 7-8Kmi then most.

I'm guessing I'll get 15K out of them, which is phenomenal. One of my best friends got 13K out of his last set of toyos and the previous BFG before that got not quite 10K.

I've given up on buying a tire for tread wear. I just base it off what performs the best in snow, mud, and still works well when I sled pull.
Something is weird there. I don't get it.

Charles

Reaction score
It was phenomenal when my Wife's excursion gets 50+ on terra grapplers. I have never crested 20k on a tire in my life. More like 10.

I think some people need to check their odometers, or memory talking in the triple digits.

And they must make different versions of the toyo for the left coasters. I've probably worn out 3 sets of them and they suck hard until right before you throw them away because no tread is left, then they drive okay.

cbf9703

Reaction score
It was phenomenal when my Wife's excursion gets 50+ on terra grapplers. I have never crested 20k on a tire in my life. More like 10.

I think some people need to check their odometers, or memory talking in the triple digits.

And they must make different versions of the toyo for the left coasters. I've probably worn out 3 sets of them and they suck hard until right before you throw them away because no tread is left, then they drive okay.

Usually we end up guessing and trying to remember how long we've had tires on... having a couple DDs that you rotate makes it harder to remember how long you've had tires on each. My mental odometer is probably way off so I kept the receipt in the console this time with mileage marked to see how the new set of tires does, I'm curious what we're actually getting for tread life.

As for the left coasters, maybe it's the lack of humidity that does magic for the tread.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I'm an easy driver. Don't corner hard. Ect ect. Roads do make a difference. I'll have no problem going to 50k on a set.

For that matter my work truck has hancook dynapros all terrains. F150 work truck. My last set I got 36,000. And I got rid of them because they stay on gravel over 50% of the time and we're starting to get chewed up.

My tire wear is largely contributed to driving habit. I'm just not in a big hurry. Never have been.

There are also numerous studies on tire wear at speeds above 65 and again above 70mph and how much more the wear is accelerated at higher speeds. You'll find those studies from the OTR trucking industry.

BBottoms

Reaction score
I got 45k out of my 35" Nitto Trails and still had 10k or more in them to the wear bars when I put on my 37" Toyo MTs. Only have about 4k on the Toyos but they still look practically new so hoping to get similar miles to the Nittos. The Toyos are a little squirrely feeling occasionally but it's a 37" mud terrain so I wasn't expecting AT type handling.

FWIW I rotate my tires every 3-5k, most of my driving is open rural roads at ~65mph+, I rarely tow anything of significance and I'm running stock KR 20's.

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
I've ran mud terrains for years. The best way I found them to last was rotating every 3k. I had over 30k on a set of Mud Grapplers with tread left when I sold that truck, and I know people that couldn't even get 20k out of those.

Jomax

Reaction score
I'll be getting 32k out of these nitto trails grapplers. They have a couple burn outs and two hard donuts (had to prove a point), Driven on hard rocky trails fast in AZ, over sharp rocks etc. Have broken a rim and these tires chug along. Towed 17k numerous times and even 23k, I'd say I have 5k miles of nasty offroad. Never had a flat.. Will be buying them again.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
so just to throw this out there i had my buddy price some mastercraft mxt in a 275/70/18 stock tire... almost 500 bucks less then what i gave for my duratracs in the same stock size... ill be running them the next go round...

live life full throttle

01pwrstkr

Reaction score
I love toyos, I dont think Ill buy another tire. I got a little over 60k out of my last set and I sold the wheels and tires with a good amount of tread still left on them. My new set just showed up today and I got them mounted up on the new wheels
15810343044_a8eac125c8_c.jpg
Untitled by mattpopiel, on Flickr
That's a good looking wheel/tire combo!

"3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead"

RedRice589

Reaction score
As far as tires go I'm doing pretty good IMO I put them on at 76k and now I'm at 110k and I don't drive good at all. They wore out pretty quick at first now they're staying where they are pretty well. So 34k and I'm under half tread is pretty good to me.

Jd4455

Reaction score
285/75 r18 or 305/70 r18 you can just google metric tire conversion

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
285/75 r18 or 305/70 r18 you can just google metric tire conversion
cool. thanks man..
:whs: Then look at the actual tire measurements if you're set on a true 35". I have a set of "35s" that officially measure "34.7" inches with full tread, doesn't bother me, but I know some people that want a truer size tire.
close enough

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online