Traction bar install

TrickTruck

Reaction score
Well, I finally broke down and got the traction bars from PMF. Ordered what I thought was the right thing and followed it up w/ an email, but when the instructions came they were wrong so I asked and yup, I'd messed up the order and they had missed the email. Fast forward another week to get the right parts...

Get to it, passenger side first since that won't interfere with the titan tank so should prove the easier of the two.

All mocked in place and a hole or two drilled, while taking a break I fitted the driver's side bracket. Darned if you wouldn't know it but my Titan tank was in the way. That project came to a screeching halt. I swear I'd looked at that thread and mine and didn't think they'd interfere.

Called PMF and waited an hour patiently for Trevor to call me back. Yup, they know about the problem and even have a special bracket for the titan tank. OK, $90 in overnight and I'm back in biz as of 11am this morning.

Mocked up the bracket on the driver's side and things look like they'll fit, so I finish up the passenger side.

Then onto removing the fuel tank for access to the back of the frame. Wow there's a lot of wires and hoses up here, better not f' it up.

****for those of you thinking about doing a titan tank and traction bars, do them at the same time, it'll save you a lot of work.*****

it's 90° and I'm hot, sliding under this darn truck, wish I had a lift. Taking a break for a sandwich. Wish I had some beer

Have y'all seen this sh1t? These guys are crazy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxpN0NDXtaU

zporta

Reaction score
Other then drilling holes in the frame it's pretty simple. But those holes will put a hurting on the shoulders and biceps. I had a tight fit with my air ride components and amp steps but well worth it in the end

BIG JUICE

Reaction score
Sheesh, I forgot about the tank. I was going to order some ouo traction blocks in next week. I'm not dropping that tank again.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
Sheesh, I forgot about the tank. I was going to order some ouo traction blocks in next week. I'm not dropping that tank again.

Call Jared and see if they will fit around the tank. I think the OUO ones may stick out further. You may have to drop the tank to get the nuts on the back of the mounts or be very careful drilling to not go threw into the tank and tap the holes and just snug them to the frame.

TrickTruck

Reaction score
there's a big bundle of wires right where you drill as well that needs moving or you could have a real catastrophe there if you drill into the wiring harness

WHY NOT

Reaction score
I didn't have to move any with my OUO bars, then again I have mine in front of my tank since they are adjustable length. Don't know how much longer the titan tank is.

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
We have no issues with our traction bars and Titan tanks. We even make special pivot mounts that work on trucks with narrow frames if you want even more clearance. They are an additional 36.00 over the standard kit and in stock.

Str8Ugly

Reaction score
Other then drilling holes in the frame it's pretty simple. But those holes will put a hurting on the shoulders and biceps. I had a tight fit with my air ride components and amp steps but well worth it in the end

if you ever do another set the easiest way to drill them and you are working on the ground, get a bottle jack and put the drill on top of it and make yourself a makeshift drill press, we drilled the other 3 holes in a 1/4 of the time it took is to drill the first

gnxtc2

Reaction score
No issues with the OUO traction bars and Titan Tank.

Get yourself center punches so you locate the holes exactly. Good drill bits help also, not some HF crap.

fowler-33-piece-transfer-punch-set-52-482-030-0-11.gif

Billy T.
[email protected]

Jacob @ No Limit

Reaction score
Mac drill bits are my favorite. Bit pricey but lifetime warranty unlike a SnapOn set. The Mac set runs around $360ish for a 29piece set.

TrickTruck

Reaction score
Have to say, these PMF traction bars made all the difference in the world when towing. No longer do I have that squishy feeling in the rear end when passing semis.

A lot more stable in the wind too.

I'm really surprised I was getting that much axle wrap, but proof is in the pudding I guess.

It works.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
Have to say, these PMF traction bars made all the difference in the world when towing. No longer do I have that squishy feeling in the rear end when passing semis.

A lot more stable in the wind too.

I'm really surprised I was getting that much axle wrap, but proof is in the pudding I guess.

It works.

Its impressive how much they help. I don't think I would own another truck with out traction bars regardless of bran.

TrickTruck

Reaction score
I snapped several bits doing the job, so I guess a warranty would be nice. Hard to keep the drill from catching sometimes. Then it's too late, the bit is broken and your wrist hurts.

Stokt

Reaction score
Sounds like access to a mag drill would be a huge headache saver on this project.

Latest posts

Members online