Trailer tires

BKopp

Reaction score
What tires do you all run on equipment trailers? The tires on my 14k Kaufman tilt deck trailer are going down fast. They were fine Sunday but the last 2 days they've worn off bad and are getting way hot even though I have them at 70 lbs air. I've heard of guys running truck tires on them. Is that recommended or no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ncollins64

Reaction score
I've always been told to only run good high ply trailer tires on trailers. I run Goodyear marathons on my landscaping trailer and continental tires on my big gooseneck. Both have held up very well.

BKopp

Reaction score
I've always been told to only run good high ply trailer tires on trailers. I run Goodyear marathons on my landscaping trailer and continental tires on my big gooseneck. Both have held up very well.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Depends on the size. If it is the 15 or 16" size get LT tires. Those size Trailer tires are not made in the US, including Goodyear Marathons. Good Year Wrangler Highway Tread is what I run and they have lasted good on my triple axle toyhauler.

Pstrke96

Reaction score
Goodyear makes a gxxx triple digit number series of tire. 14 ply g rated 235/85/16 these tires are SWEET they came factory on my 2002 Alfa sun fifth wheel and I didn't blow one until 2010 with prolly 40k on them . I am currently researching whether or not they ware close enough in size to replace my 235/&0 -16 Rv tires they are by far the most amazing lt tire I have ever put on a trailer

Wayne

Reaction score
If it's good enough for my truck, it's good enough for my trailer. I run load range E yokohama geolandars on 16" wheels, in combination with my 7000# axles, mostly because the the price on the tires was right. The weight rating is more than enough on my double axle, 14K# trailer. Just know the weight rating of the tires before you go with it. Main reason I assume trailer tires even exist in load range E or lower is a cheaper alternative to vehicle tires, subject to acceleration stress. If you haul real heavy, you might consider a heavier trailer only tire, but hey, That's just me talking. What I have works great for me, so if I'm wrong, I'd like to know why because I see no reason to change course.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I should have said this before. Pick up a LT tire and Pick up a Trailer tire and decide just by that. After I was going through Trailer tires on the fiver about every 8 months I decided to switch to LT tires. I bet the weight difference is double.

BKopp

Reaction score
If it's good enough for my truck, it's good enough for my trailer. I run load range E yokohama geolandars on 16" wheels, in combination with my 7000# axles, mostly because the the price on the tires was right. The weight rating is more than enough on my double axle, 14K# trailer. Just know the weight rating of the tires before you go with it. Main reason I assume trailer tires even exist in load range E or lower is a cheaper alternative to vehicle tires, subject to acceleration stress. If you haul real heavy, you might consider a heavier trailer only tire, but hey, That's just me talking. What I have works great for me, so if I'm wrong, I'd like to know why because I see no reason to change course.

Makes sense. Mine are 16"

BKopp

Reaction score
I should have said this before. Pick up a LT tire and Pick up a Trailer tire and decide just by that. After I was going through Trailer tires on the fiver about every 8 months I decided to switch to LT tires. I bet the weight difference is double.

Copy that

BKopp

Reaction score
Goodyear makes a gxxx triple digit number series of tire. 14 ply g rated 235/85/16 these tires are SWEET they came factory on my 2002 Alfa sun fifth wheel and I didn't blow one until 2010 with prolly 40k on them . I am currently researching whether or not they ware close enough in size to replace my 235/&0 -16 Rv tires they are by far the most amazing lt tire I have ever put on a trailer

Those sound pricey

Jomax

Reaction score
The 14ply good years are the best. Second are the Michelin xps RIBs. AZ is the worst on tires. And these are ones that hold up.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

gnxtc2

Reaction score
My GN came with LT tires. I replaced the OEM tires with Bridgestone Duravis R250s. You want a rib highway type tire, like a Michellin XPS rib, Duravis R250s on the trailer.

For the G rated tires, they inflate to 110 psi. Make sure the valve stems and rim is rated for 110 psi.

Also if you have the room, you go with 17.5" rims/tires.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.