Trans lifespan...

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I'm starting to think about my next trans...

Right now I am getting close to 130-140k on my Suncoast internals trans... The TC has closer to 150k on it. Nothing wrong with it, still runs cool, shifts good and everything...

But at the 400-550hp mark how long to these things last? I've honestly never had one last this long, so I have no basis to build off. LOL

Changed the fluids about 8 months ago and they were dirty, but not burnt by any means...

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
I'm starting to think about my next trans...

Right now I am getting close to 130-140k on my Suncoast internals trans... The TC has closer to 150k on it. Nothing wrong with it, still runs cool, shifts good and everything...

But at the 400-550hp mark how long to these things last? I've honestly never had one last this long, so I have no basis to build off. LOL

Changed the fluids about 8 months ago and they were dirty, but not burnt by any means...

Hey Joe is your suncoast internals from the xtereme rebuild kit that they sale?

psduser1

Reaction score
I would "think" that barring excessive abuse, that a well built trans would last compareable to stock/stock power level transmission. Built trans life depends a lot on the attention to detail when built, same as the power unit.

I'd say your mileage and condition as described is normal.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
I remember back in the day, Suncoast had a great reputation on the Allison trannys with the Chevy guys. I know they aren't invited to the cool kids table with the Ford guys, but do they not build a quality 4r100 for us 400-450 whp guys?

CSIPSD

Reaction score
67469_118397085002035_1014571930_n.jpg

Thats my suncoast TC... Its one tough and HEAVY SOB.

crowz

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Should have the lifespan of the stock one Id think at those levels and it being a built trans. Im over 320,000 on my stock trans and Im putting a good bit more power than stock.

Not going to claim numbers without it being dyno'd.

But if its not acting up Id leave it alone :)

Short Bus

Reaction score
Mine has lasted over 3 years on current build, everything held except the forward drum. Trans should get torn down soon and clutches will be inspected. Also sending converter back to PI for a freshen up

Denver

Reaction score
John Wood can build you a nice one. I have a tow master with 55k miles on it and it shifts and performs like the day I got it but I'm stock with gearhead tunes on an 02. It's been the nicest shifting built transmission I've driven. Quick and smooth unless you tune the truck with an sct.

Last edited:

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
A set of fresh clutch's and and have the tc rebuilt is all you probably need. Any trans that gets beat on, raced, pulled or just coupled to something making more hp than stock it will need to be freshened every once in a while. I don't care if it's a bts,jw or another trans it will need to refreshed at some point. This seems to be the one thing most diesel guys over look you build them a trans for a sled pull truck etc and they think it's set forever.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
Have had my BTS for 4 1/2 years now. Have about 30k on mine, only issue I had was a broken torq converter. Cale was here when we discovered it, he called his dad and they sent one out ASAP. Just paid shipping

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
When I consider a build...I keep in mind that I put 50-60k miles per year on mine mixed driving and towing. So longevity IS key.
I also don't need a $10k build or whatever either...as I just make daily use of my added power just daily driving and towing.

JD3020

Reaction score
This is something i've been worried about. My build has 25k miles of abuse, towing heavy, racing, sled pulling, and just plain beating on it. But i've only been running stock turbo's, and now a D66 so its not like its a powerhouse. The shifts have been getting a little sloppier, but its hard to tell if thats something else in the wore out drivetrain or in the trans. Going to order a BTS VB for it soon, which i'm hoping will help it out some. I just wonder how much life is left in it, and how much more power it will handle as it'll be getting a S471 in the future.

But if you guys are getting that many miles out of your builds, then i shouldn't have much to worry about.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Thats kind of why I brought it up...

I'm at 300k on the truck now, with this trans being in since about 170k or so... Its still running fine, still running cool and shifts perfect but its got 100k+ on it with 400-550hp pushing, lots of heavy towing and such.

Doesn't seem like I need to worry until things start slipping... Breaking **** happens, no planning that, but rebuilding is more what I am thinking about.

Latest posts

Members online